Thread: Experimenting... page

mimolette is offline Junior Member

Experimenting...

Shop Now
    Hello, I'm going primal tomorrow and would like to hear others share their experiences (especially women).

My current stats:
    5"4, 20 years old
    usually not hungry till noon
    old habit of snacking that I am fixing
    want to lose all stomach fat.
    fully recovered from an 8month mental breakdown and binge eating.

30 day paleo challenge

I'm thinking of eating a light lunch and then a full dinner (moderate Intermittent Fasting)
    I don't go strictly primal and I find it works well for me? (not a fan of hard rules)
    I like paleo because I acquired a taste for fresh food that is actually food

Things I am ruling out:
    nuts (I have had many nasty experiences with finishing a whole pound bag of nuts per sitting. So not healthy)
    chocolate (mostly. I am taping up my remaining chocolate and only having some during dinner)
    sweet fruit (during my binge period, even fruit could raise my BS. Sticking to berries)

More info:
    Not trying to sound smug, but I am actually one of the genetically blessed, despite my old habit of having binged through most of my life (until recently). My dad eats grains and at 52 he has about 2 inches of stomach fat. Max. for someone who runs a mile per week.
    But I want to get back to my old peak - When I was a 5"4 girl who could put away a full 3 course meal and eat with the boys.
    okay, it's a bit dramatic but I definitely can be more healthy than now.

I am currently nursing a cold, and am milking the loss of taste to wean myself off chocolate and desserts. Today I had only 50g, which is good, for me.

Could you guys give your thoughts on:

(a) Oat Bran
    (b) Carrots, Starchy Tubers,
    (c) Mushrooms
    (d) Cooking vs Raw
    (e) Supplements?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You should click on that big getting started button in the main navigation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I agree with sbhikes -- definitely read the basics.

(a) Oat Bran -- no.
    (b) Carrots, Starchy Tubers -- if you want
    (c) Mushrooms -- if you want
    (d) Cooking vs Raw -- i cook meat, eggs, eat mostly raw veggies
    (e) Supplements? -- I don't use any, unless you count home made bone broth

I'm currently doing whole30 with IF 16/8 protocol. It's working great. I'm one week in and already can see the 6 pack (including the left-right cross lines). That's the first time ever and it came quickly. Still looking to loose the upper hip/back that picks up when I have a binge round.

mimolette is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I agree with sbhikes -- definitely read the basics.

(a) Oat Bran -- no.
    (b) Carrots, Starchy Tubers -- if you want
    (c) Mushrooms -- if you want
    (d) Cooking vs Raw -- i cook meat, eggs, eat mostly raw veggies
    (e) Supplements? -- I don't use any, unless you count home made bone broth

I'm currently doing whole30 with IF 16/8 protocol. It's working great. I'm one week in and already can see the 6 pack (including the left-right cross lines). That's the first time ever and it came quickly. Still looking to loose the upper hip/back that picks up when I have a binge round.
    Thanks. I'm not trying to be lazy and not read, but just wanted personal takes on these foods. Because

(a) Oat Bran
    Mark talks about Oat Bran here: Are Oats Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    he listed a not so great personal experience with steel cut oats but did say bran increases prebiotic butyrate production - albeit not a crucial source.
    and
    some other members did experiment with okay results: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27810.html

(b) Carrots, Starchy Tubers
    Some people complain about the carb count...

(c) Mushrooms
    Read some things about the mould.

(d) Cook/ Raw
    Just general debates heard between both camps

(e) Supplements
    Some women swear you need supplements when you go paleo.
    Last edited by mimolette; 10-07-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: typo

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    ultimately, you're going to have to run your own tests on yourself.

the only oats i ever enjoyed eating growing up were in cookies, so there's no reason for me to eat oatmeal (steel cut or otherwise) now, or for that matter seek out oatbran if it's not all that important, and I don't think it is.

Yes, some people think that carrots and starchy tubers do increase carb count -- and they do. So, you can eat them and keep within your chosen carb count, or you could choose not to eat them to facilitate staying within your chosen carb count. whatever works for you. I do the first option.

Since mushrooms are fungus, perhaps they also go hand in hand with mold. I haven't had issues, but I don't eat that many mushrooms anyway. They are expensive and I can spend my money in other places that are less expensive and provide more food. (same with cheese, for me, honestly.)

In terms of cooked/raw, again, it's up to you. I like getting a lot of raw veg. My preference is to eat only raw veg, with a modest amount of steamed veg per week (say, 2/3+ raw, 1/3- steamed/cooked) with the exception of sweet potatoes (which I may have once a month or so). i also like cooked onions. Anyway, it's still a smaller amount of my food than the raw part in general. But, I prefer to have cooked meats. I don't like raw meats or eggs. Some people might.

I've never taken supplements -- not even when pregnant. It's against my personal religion. So, I'm not the person to ask about this really. It's entirely up to you.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused, if you're concerned about the carb count in carrots, why not the oats, which would be way more easy to eat a lot more of?