Thread: Question about food calories pre and post cooked. Also is Erythritol safe? page

candy corn is offline Member

Question about food calories pre and post cooked. Also is Erythritol safe?

Primal Fuel
    What calories should be logged for foods? I weighed a sweet potato earlier that was 8 ounces and also weighed a piece of fish that was 9 ounces. Once i baked them the sweet potato was 5 ounces and the fish was 7. So should i take the calories from the pre or post cooked weight?

also i was a box of Truvia and I hate to see anything go to waste especially when i can use it. I know stevia is "ok" but is erythritol ok to use as well? Id maybe use a packet or two a few days a week and not go crazy with the stuff but im still a little shy about using it as I do fast 5 most days and dont want to mess that up.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by candy corn View Post
    What calories should be logged for foods? I weighed a sweet potato earlier that was 8 ounces and also weighed a piece of fish that was 9 ounces. Once i baked them the sweet potato was 5 ounces and the fish was 7. So should i take the calories from the pre or post cooked weight?
    It depends. Many foods get more dense and compact when cooked certain ways or some expand. You can measure pre or post cooked as you prefer, but take the calories and other nutrient info from the form it was in when you measured it.

For example, if you measured a cup of dried rice and then cooked it and ate it all, take the caloric total from the dried rice. If you cooked a random amount of rice but then scooped out a cup afterwards, take the caloric total from the cooked rice.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    most food tracking websites specify whether you're tracking the cooked weight or the raw weight. At least cronometer does.

+1

Also, many food labels give either pre or post cooked. Typically, the post-cooked number is higher per ounce.

As far as Erythritol goes, I can't say. But if it worries you, there is a brand of stevia called Sweet Leaf which does not list it in its ingredients.

I have seen it occasionally at Wegmans, and at the health/natural food store. My wife found it online for a lot cheaper than we tended to find it retail, though.

Good luck!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I read somewhere on MDA that Mark considers Erythritol primal. I have Natvia which I guess is similar to Truvia (it's Australian though ). And I find it tastes pretty good as a sweetener (not exactly the same as sugar, but not awful either). If you've got a sweet tooth and it helps you avoid sugar then go for it.

Are Sugar Alcohols Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

jpatti is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Erthyritol seems better than the other sugar alcohols. That being said, I buy plain stevia myself.

If I had Truvia around, I'd probably use it up, but I wouldn't buy it again.

IMO, it is not food. Food comes from farms, not factories.