Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page

otzi Guest

EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Primal Fuel
    I have been dying to unleash this fat-busting trick on you guys, but I have been kind of holding back because it seems so impossible. It works. It works really well if you are a fat-adapted, fat-burning primal animal because you will go straight into burning your own fat!

Here's what you do to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a day for up to 14 days. Eat potatoes. The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper.

Edit 12/21/12:

They have taken to calling it the “Potato Reset” and it’s been especially popular around the holidays. We look at it as a way to “reset” your eating, weight, and relationship with food.

These are the rough guidelines we came up with for the best version of the Potato Reset:

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily, include cooked and cooled daily!
    3. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think ‘de-load week’ Lifting light things/walking OK.
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF’ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the “Potato Reset” diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.

Some suggested reasons this works so well:
    - Food Reward/Satiety
    - Calories Restriction
    - Resistant Starch/Butyrate/Gut Flora Connection
    - Insulin Sensitivity Regained
    - Ketosis from calorie restriction/butyrate forming short chain fatty acids
    Last edited by otzi; 06-09-2013 at 10:18 AM.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I don't want to flame you, and this is an honest question - wouldn't the same thing happen if I only ate cabbage and fat for 10 days? I am guessing I would lose weight...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

otzi Guest

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit, I don't quite get how miraculous this strategy could be in terms of muscle maintenance and repartition of weight loss.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Love this thread!!

This is day 4 of adding potatoes back in.

In the last 3 days, I have lost 2.9lbs. Might not be fat, but I was pretty clean before, so not much junk to get rid of, just fat. I just took my tape measure, and my waist is "almost" an inch down since 10/4. It hasnt moved since July 2, except when I had a bun on or about 7/24 and it went up 2" in bloat.

Now that was 3 days w/tators and other foods, but keeping my fat to about 35%. I thought I would be hungry today, but I pushed breakfast off until just now. (tator breakfast) I am going for an all tator day!

Love this!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit,

Not for me, my N=1 has shown me that not all calorie deficits are created equal.

I have had a very distinct pattern since January, and I feel this is what I need to be doing now. Not living on just tators, but adding them in, along with having days of just tators even, but for me, I find more success when I cut the fat. I think I will find that after I reach my goal, that my maintainence range will be about 60-65% fat. I just feel so much better having added some carbs back in. Night and day. But that is just me. Everyone is different and has different needs.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-06-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: cant spell

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Even if it was the superdiet and worked wonders, sounds very, very boring... I would probably not last more than a day on this.

Quote Originally Posted by inesenite View Post
    Even if it was the superdiet and worked wonders, sounds very, very boring... I would probably not last more than a day on this.
    To me, it's the same as any other modified fast. I might not last more than a day either but even a day here and there is bound to help, at least help me. It's just a tator fast to me. Not a superdiet. Just another tool to help me accomplish my goal.

My health is overall in good shape. I just need to get rid of the fat and this is just one more tool, same as IFing here and there.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    For why this work see the "sensory-specific satiety". It means is that no matter how much you like a food, the more you eat, the less you want any more of it.

One can probably lose quite a bit of weight by picking any single semi-reasonable whole food and eating only that single food for some period of time.

This (what I said) is hijacked mostly from J. Staton and you can read some about it here Why Do We Ever Stop Eating? Taste, Reward, and Hyperpalatability (Why Are We Hungry? Part VII) - GNOLLS.ORG

I would be wary of going so low on protein though while losing weight. You run the risk of losing a lot of lean mass rather than fat.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-06-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    It's just a tator fast to me. .
    I might should have called it a Tater Feast, not Tater Fast Sometimes you just get on a food kick. For me, it's Tater Time!

The hardest part of this for me, is trying to decide if I spell it tator or tater. I definitely pronounce it TatEr

Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast