Page 98 of 109 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 98

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Lol... yes! I have to agree that 'moar' is a stupid word, but whatever... was awesome that she misspelled a word!!

Anyways... I came here because I am wondering how people are doing post-potato diet? I know you guys have posted that you hadn't gained back weight afterwards... is that still the case? I am in a major food funk after being VLC for months. I am making primal cookies and popcorn and nothing sounds good and I'm thinking about giving the potato diet a try to get me out of it. I'm sure a week of potatoes will have me craving meat and veggies again.

Any backlash post potato diet???

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Did anybody get a chuckle out of the last sentence? A misspelling in a rant about misspelling and internet slang (WTF) in a rant about internet slang..
    Yeah, I think that is Quarry's point.

Not cool.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Lol... yes! I have to agree that 'moar' is a stupid word, but whatever... was awesome that she misspelled a word!!

Anyways... I came here because I am wondering how people are doing post-potato diet? I know you guys have posted that you hadn't gained back weight afterwards... is that still the case? I am in a major food funk after being VLC for months. I am making primal cookies and popcorn and nothing sounds good and I'm thinking about giving the potato diet a try to get me out of it. I'm sure a week of potatoes will have me craving meat and veggies again.

Any backlash post potato diet???
    No backlash for me at all. You are right, going back to meat is divine after trying this

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by endless View Post
    This is interesting...I have to assume that those who get positive results with this plan have no AI issues....for me two servings of potatos will start the joint pains, etc.

ETA: WTF is up with the MOAR thing.......it`s kinda stupid. Spell properly, it helps project the image thst you have a functioning cerebral cortex.
    "Moar" is Standard Internet English. It is like "more", only louder and MOAR primal and hence very appropriate for the Primal Blueprint Forums. So no one is misspelling, you are reading in the wrong language. It's OK--you probably didn't know--but try to do better next time.

Also, it seems to be a rule of the Internet that it's impossible to pick on someone's language skills without making a typographical or grammatical error yourself, thus invalidating you own point. You are clearly not immune to this disease.

EDIT: And neither am I! "you own point", LOL. It's clearly catching.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    just on one week after i stoped, i lost anouther 1kg in the following days, then put it back on so sitiing at or slightly above where i finished (~6kg weight loss) Been eating way to much non primal food and have had lots of beers so any "water weight" I lost would have come back by now.

cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the update!

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    I'll 2nd that, the weight has stayed off and I actually lost a bit more later. It then yo-yoed around a bit but has settled at 83 kg, which is a about 3 kg (6.6 lb) reduction overall.

I've had some days of positively pigging but no sudden increase in weight.

What I like about it is how it broke free of being stuck at the same 86 kg for so long, where it would go up a bit, down a bit but always returning around there. I wouldn't want to do it for too long or too often but as a hack to get things moving it's worked for me.

AC

james2pro is offline Junior Member
    Can someone have mercy on me today and save me from wading back through these here tater threads? Figured I'd try a few days up to a couple of weeks. Paleo for three months for gout and it's been going great. Potatoes without the peel are an allowed starch for cheat meals according to a nutritionist I've been working with.

Would this be a correct protocol. No fat or protein. Three kg (or is it pounds?) of potatoes a day. Ketchup allowed as well as salt and other sundry spices. Is there a brand of ketchup that is fructose free? Is broth OK for mashed potatoes? Thanks in advance.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Regarding broth I found some chicken broth that's virtually fat free and something like only 10 calories a tin. Crazy stuff, and certainly gets the taters more tasty.

So yeah, broth.

Regarding ketchup, presuming small quantities, don't sweat it.

As for volume, for me I found 3 meals of around 2 or 3 spuds each was plenty enough but really, just go for it. Avoid commercial mash though, that stuff is mega-calories.

AC

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by james2pro View Post
    Can someone have mercy on me today and save me from wading back through these here tater threads? Figured I'd try a few days up to a couple of weeks.
    Alright! Another guinea pig. My guess is you have been kind of stalled out on PB and you're wanting to kickstart some fatloss, but you are leery of the meat/liver cause of your gout...You came to the right place, and I'll get you started, but you need to get right back on PB when you are done and stay there a long time.

Go out and buy 25 pounds of the best potatoes you can find, ie. organic, no green spots, local grown. If you choose wisely, you will end up with exactly 50 potatoes.

When you get home, wash up 10 of them, and peel 5. Wrap the 5 unpeeled potatoes in tinfoil and bake at 375 for 90 minutes or so until they are squeezable. Boil the 5 peeled potatoes in water with a little sea salt added for about 25 minutes. Drain and cool.

For your first meal, eat a still hot boiled potato with salt and a dab of no HFCS ketchup if you like. Mustard is OK, too. A little raw onion, OK. You can mash it and eat it like baby food or you can slice it and eat it like chicken McNuggets. Alternatively, you can heat up a no-stick frying pan and turn it into crispy homefries, then drizzle with vinegar and salt.

All the rest of your meals will be just like this. Eat as few potatoes as you can just to keep your hunger beast under control. Don't try eating all 25lbs in 1 day.

Another awesome way to prepare potatoes is to shred them with a cheap-o shredder and piles the shreds in a non-stick waffle maker until they are browned. You can definitely over-eat on these beauties, though! You may find other ways to make plain potatoes, but if you work all day at a 9-5 kinda job, you should find a potato at noon, and 2 or 3 potatoes when you get home will leave you full. If you are a great big guy, try 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch and 2-3 for supper.

Eating like this, your 25 pound investment should last you about 10 days and you should lose 5-10 pounds. If you are a heavy lifter or runner, use this 10 days for a 'de-load' week. This diet isn't cross-fit friendly. It's more about burning fat than building muscle, but don't worry--you won't waste away.

Quote Originally Posted by james2pro View Post
    Paleo for three months for gout and it's been going great. Potatoes without the peel are an allowed starch for cheat meals according to a nutritionist I've been working with.
    I suffered debilitating gout for years on the SAD. I had an attack every 4-6 weeks and would miss work because putting shoes on was impossible.

I have not had a single gout attack in over 2 years since starting PB. I also had fatty liver disease, high trigs, high BP, and pre-diabetes. All of these were gone within 6 months along with the first 30 pounds. What do I think the culprit was after several years of reflection? Fructose.

Not the fructose from apples and bananas as I probably could count the fruit I ate in a year on both hands, but the fructose found in Oreos, Keeblers, Little Debbies, white bread, ketchup, bbq sauce, and anything else that says HFCS on it. In retrospect, I was guzzling the stuff. All my problems point directly to fructose overload in the liver, and my 6 pack of beer every night didn't help either. Haven't touched either in 2 years and I feel grrrrrreat.

You may want to read this Steve Phinney and Richard Johnson: Ketones, Uric Acid, High Fat and Health | Me and My Diabetes
    It's about uric acid increasing on a ketogenic diet. If your are tracking your uric acid levels, they may go up if you try ketogenic diets. Some people get gout because of an inability to clear uric acid, if you are one of these, keto may not be the answer.