Page 96 of 109 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 96

Paysan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think today marks the end of my big potato experiment. I'll just do supper, then call it quits. Tomorrow breakfast will be my regular meal plan. Today I noticed some fuzzier thinking than normal, and my vision started playing tricks on me. When I took my blood sugar 15 minutes after a late lunch , it was only 4.7,(84.6) which is getting way too low for me and my peace of mind. I may have lost 2 more pounds, but that's only a drop in my bucket. I'll check again tomorrow in a fasted state. As far as losing on my measurements, I need to lose inches from an area, not millimeters. Was it a worthwhile experiment? I think so. No starvation, no really unusual symptoms (foggy thinking, tricky vision, pain are also fibromyalgia symptoms, and I know I have them), but my blood sugar came down. Maybe these are common numbers for dedicated paleo folks, but I'm not used to seeing them and am a tad anxious. I know how to bring them up if they dip too low before bedtime - I have a bar of dark chocolate waiting to rescue me. But I will agree that mealtimes are easy when taters are the only thing on the menu.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    When I took my blood sugar 15 minutes after a late lunch , it was only 4.7,(84.6) which is getting way too low for me and my peace of mind.
    If you checked your blood sugar 15 minutes after eating, it was probably low for a reason. Your pancrease will release a big surge of insulin when the starch (amylase) receptors in your mouth detect starch. Your blood starts clearing itself of glucose before the potato even starts digesting. If you would have checked at 15 minute intervals, you would see a really cool pattern develope, but I know--those stupid strips are expensive. I went through $100 worth in a week when I was doing the potato diet!

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    That's a pity, Paysan, sounded like it was working.

Paysan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    That's a pity, Paysan, sounded like it was working.
    In fact, it was. And it's a hack I will repeat in future, when this current fibro flare and incipient cold release me. And I did check my blood sugar at intervals, altho' not as often. It didn't shoot up as much yesterday as it did the day before, and my 2-hour reading was lower than my usual range.(mid 6.'s) I am happy to see my sugar levels decrease, as this indicates there is still life in this pancreas yet, and possibly I didn't destroy it from a lifetime of celiac-unawareness and poor food choices at times. It helped that I cut out wheat and went low carb well over a decade ago.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If you checked your blood sugar 15 minutes after eating, it was probably low for a reason. Your pancrease will release a big surge of insulin when the starch (amylase) receptors in your mouth detect starch. Your blood starts clearing itself of glucose before the potato even starts digesting. If you would have checked at 15 minute intervals, you would see a really cool pattern develope, but I know--those stupid strips are expensive. I went through $100 worth in a week when I was doing the potato diet!
    Is it just when it detects starch? I have always wondered what happens when you start salivating at the thought of food, but the you don't follow through with the food. That would be cool if you could fool your body glucose response.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielfire View Post
    Is it just when it detects starch? I have always wondered what happens when you start salivating at the thought of food, but the you don't follow through with the food. That would be cool if you could fool your body glucose response.
    Pretty sure there has to be starch. Some used to say artificial sweeteners caused an insulin spike, too, but I think that has been disproven.

I was thinking that chewing and spitting-out a mouthhful of rice or potatoes may have some useful effect...a slight surge of insulin and cellular glucose deposition. But haven't really figured out if that would be useful or just stupid.

There may be a Pavlovian insulin response, though, will have to read up on it. Did you know the pancreas secretes insulin on a rythmic 3-5 minute cycle 24/7 just to keep glucose stable.
    Last edited by otzi; 11-18-2012 at 08:54 AM.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say I reverted to Primal over the weekend and no gain of any of the weight I lost. Pretty damn happy with my tater experiment! Thanks Otzi

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    Just wanted to say I reverted to Primal over the weekend and no gain of any of the weight I lost. Pretty damn happy with my tater experiment! Thanks Otzi
    Win!

Meat tastes good after that long, hey..

MrZZeroG is offline Junior Member
    Oops...

didn't hit the reply with quote:

"Hey man, didn't realise you were a member here, great to see you are. Your research is interesting. I found it a fascinating experiment.

And glad you dropped in here to clear things up. Got annoying when people were jumping in to attack Otzi, apparently for the hell of it."

I am, but I don't really get over here often. I just didn't want Otzi taking heat over posting. It's been interesting to watch all the spin and you know what I think about "protein carb and fat" speak. There are some real lessons here besides a hack. Contrary to popular opinion, I didn't do this because if chris voight, but certainly looked into what he's done. I do know John McDougall and he's really had some fantastic results with people (not all that follow him), but I too don't want to spend time in the ideology of vegan (or paleo for that matter).

There is way more to what is going on that just a "hack." I think a lot of people are mistaken with the current paradigm of food, but I am vetting my thoughts through the science community at the moment and collecting more data. I think both groups (vegan and paleo) are off the mark a bit for different reasons, but either way can be effective losing weight. That's A mission, not THE mission for me.

I guess that makes me unpopular to both, or palatable to both - I guess it depends on what people think my motives are. I can say that I am trying to understand the obesity pandemic and put aside my own diagnosis bias, but with all the opinions out there, it's often ignored.

I'm not around frequently, but if there's something important, feel free to let me know. I will **try** to check back every now and then.

Thanks for staying open minded and PLEASE fill out data sheets when you test. I appreciate all I can get.

Ray
    Last edited by MrZZeroG; 11-20-2012 at 10:12 AM.

tatertot is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZZeroG View Post
    There is way more to what is going on that just a "hack." I think a lot of people are mistaken with the current paradigm of food, but I am vetting my thoughts through the science community at the moment and collecting more data. I think both groups (vegan and paleo) are off the mark a bit for different reasons, but either way can be effective losing weight. That's A mission, not THE mission for me.
    Ray
    Hello, Ray (Ray Cronise, right? Of Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn)

I had a read through your site and as far as I could tell, the "Potato Diet" was just a few comments on a gut health blog. Are you planning on writing more? I read somewhere you were working on peer-reviewed studies regarding...???

I saw on your blog you have a "calorie tent" over your bed at home. How cool is that? Are you able to determine the thermogenic potential of foods eaten? Many here have described feeling warmer while eating nothing but potatoes, but the most thermogenic foods are supposed to be meat and fat.

Also, are we on the right track regarding the insulin sensitivity/resistance improvements on a potato diet leading to rapid fat loss?

Thanks

Page 96 of 109 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast