Page 95 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 95

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sorry, I should have used the word 'mushed'. ESL issues.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Sorry, I should have used the word 'mushed'. ESL issues.
    okay mushed. I like mine mushed up with a little bone broth. My bone broth is thiiiiick. So it might stray too far off the tator protocol, I don't know, but I like it
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    I dunno. I just don't know what to do at this moment, so I am staying with where I am right now, which is not the happiest place.
    I can sense your sadness in this post. Forget about the potato diet and do something crazy for the holidays like skydiving or running a marathon. Get your mind off your eating and what your family thinks...show them you are REALLY crazy by doing something REALLY cool. When do the ski slopes open there? Take up snowboarding and do a 360 double-back flip or something.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    which is not the happiest place.
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I can sense your sadness in this post.
    I read that too, but in conjuction with our convo on the ketosis thread. Not everything works for everyone. And I always hated it when ppl would say that, that you have to find what works for you. I just wanted someone to tell me what I need to do. And then when I read what others were doing, I thought it should work that exact same way for me, and then would be very unhappy or disappointed when I did not have the same results.

Keto is not for me. Though maybe some days I might dip in and not even know it. Other days my carbs are so high they are in the insidious weight gain part of the curve, and yet I can still lose weight. But the shake up is what has worked for me. It is what started my weight loss. And it is what has given it back to me. That means no one thing. It's not high carb, it's not low carb, it's not high fat, it's not low fat. Just a combo of all the above. I just try to keep my calories in check, and some days they are on the low end and some days they are on the high end.

And while I think I need to work on the carbs & calories - the high low days in correlation to my exercise, I am in a much happier place now that I am just eating w/o regard to trying to stay in one class or the other. What I mean is, I don't have to try to stay in ketosis or something. I dont have to try to fast. I dont have to try to eat all tators. And I know that is what everyone says, just eat good primal foods. But then you start to head down these other paths of fine-tuning, we get clouded of our original goals.

Ok, I am yakking but my point is, don't get down on yourself because you don't fit the mold of one way or the other. It is not an all or nothing kind of game. And that is a hard one for me also. I like to know exactly what I am suppose to do, but I have learned it is okay to allow for some variables That just because it works for some, it may not work for me, and I dont have to feel bad about it or think there is something wrong with me.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I can sense your sadness in this post. Forget about the potato diet and do something crazy for the holidays like skydiving or running a marathon. Get your mind off your eating and what your family thinks...show them you are REALLY crazy by doing something REALLY cool. When do the ski slopes open there? Take up snowboarding and do a 360 double-back flip or something.
    We are going to Cuba. I shudder to think about how I am going to look like on the pictures. Ski hills opened already, but I won't go if they paid me a million dollars. I am scared of going down a tiny hill on a sleigh with my daughter, lol. Never liked speed. I am just eating for now.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    I think today marks the end of my big potato experiment. I'll just do supper, then call it quits. Tomorrow breakfast will be my regular meal plan. Today I noticed some fuzzier thinking than normal, and my vision started playing tricks on me. When I took my blood sugar 15 minutes after a late lunch , it was only 4.7,(84.6) which is getting way too low for me and my peace of mind. I may have lost 2 more pounds, but that's only a drop in my bucket. I'll check again tomorrow in a fasted state. As far as losing on my measurements, I need to lose inches from an area, not millimeters. Was it a worthwhile experiment? I think so. No starvation, no really unusual symptoms (foggy thinking, tricky vision, pain are also fibromyalgia symptoms, and I know I have them), but my blood sugar came down. Maybe these are common numbers for dedicated paleo folks, but I'm not used to seeing them and am a tad anxious. I know how to bring them up if they dip too low before bedtime - I have a bar of dark chocolate waiting to rescue me. But I will agree that mealtimes are easy when taters are the only thing on the menu.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    When I took my blood sugar 15 minutes after a late lunch , it was only 4.7,(84.6) which is getting way too low for me and my peace of mind.
    If you checked your blood sugar 15 minutes after eating, it was probably low for a reason. Your pancrease will release a big surge of insulin when the starch (amylase) receptors in your mouth detect starch. Your blood starts clearing itself of glucose before the potato even starts digesting. If you would have checked at 15 minute intervals, you would see a really cool pattern develope, but I know--those stupid strips are expensive. I went through $100 worth in a week when I was doing the potato diet!

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    That's a pity, Paysan, sounded like it was working.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    That's a pity, Paysan, sounded like it was working.
    In fact, it was. And it's a hack I will repeat in future, when this current fibro flare and incipient cold release me. And I did check my blood sugar at intervals, altho' not as often. It didn't shoot up as much yesterday as it did the day before, and my 2-hour reading was lower than my usual range.(mid 6.'s) I am happy to see my sugar levels decrease, as this indicates there is still life in this pancreas yet, and possibly I didn't destroy it from a lifetime of celiac-unawareness and poor food choices at times. It helped that I cut out wheat and went low carb well over a decade ago.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If you checked your blood sugar 15 minutes after eating, it was probably low for a reason. Your pancrease will release a big surge of insulin when the starch (amylase) receptors in your mouth detect starch. Your blood starts clearing itself of glucose before the potato even starts digesting. If you would have checked at 15 minute intervals, you would see a really cool pattern develope, but I know--those stupid strips are expensive. I went through $100 worth in a week when I was doing the potato diet!
    Is it just when it detects starch? I have always wondered what happens when you start salivating at the thought of food, but the you don't follow through with the food. That would be cool if you could fool your body glucose response.

Page 95 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast