Page 94 of 109 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 94

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Lookie what I found.

I know it is old, 2008, 2007 and something from 2002, but I was snooping around looking at carb/calorie cycling stuff and one click lead to another. And yes... I only scanned it but thought I would post.

The International Year of the Potato

The McDougall Newsletter - If I Could Be Your Doctor, I'd Love to Tell You How

The McDougall Newsletter
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Lookie what I found.

I know it is old, 2008, 2007 and something from 2002, but I was snooping around looking at carb/calorie cycling stuff and one click lead to another. And yes... I only scanned it but thought I would post.

The McDougall Newsletter
    There is some good reading in those links if you can handle all the Veganese...for instance:

"For millennium, the five thousand potato varieties found worldwide have been consumed fresh (boiled or roasted) or reconstituted in stews from dried forms. Potatoes are outgrowths (enlargements) of the roots of the potato plant—called tubers. The primary purpose of the tuber is to store energy to keep the potato plant alive during the winter months and through droughts. Secondarily, these starch-rich, underground storage organs (USO) benefit us by providing a high energy, nutritionally complete food for people, during times of feast and famine."

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Lookie what I found.

The McDougall Newsletter
    Interesting stuff

I agree about the veganese!

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZZeroG View Post
    My Goodness...

as they'd say down south, "Y'all give Otzi a break."

There is actually MUCH more to this than the "potato diet." That just happens to be a fun food that seems to fly in the face of the "bad carb" crowd. Anyone that's read much of my stuff knows I don't believe in "protein, carb and fat - speak."

It's great to see the success repeated. I just wanted everyone to know that "otzi" didn't intend on stealing anything and in fact sent a link soon after posting here.

oh, and I'm not a vegan, paleo, or any other such label. Just a scientist with a mid-life crisis calorimeter and an incredible drive to hack and understand.

I hope to have a little more time to hang out in the future, but just wanted everyone to ease up a little. If you are concerned about me "not getting credit" for something, you can always fill out some data sheets - I love crunching through data and the best part of these "N of 1" experiments is that everyone is at least eating the same thing...

Thanks!

Ray
    Hey man, didn't realise you were a member here, great to see you are. Your research is interesting. I found it a fascinating experiment.

And glad you dropped in here to clear things up. Got annoying when people were jumping in to attack Otzi, apparently for the hell of it.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    another 2 lb.

I think I will revert to primal this weekend. shame whilst I am losing but feels weird to go too long

Shalimar is offline Member
    Two questions for those who have been on this potato feast:

Have you had gas? After three days, I thought the dog was under my chair...and he's been gone for months!

Those who have lost a good deal of weight, did you start with your weight in the obese range, or did you work off those last ten pounds?
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post
    Two questions for those who have been on this potato feast:

Have you had gas? After three days, I thought the dog was under my chair...and he's been gone for months!

Those who have lost a good deal of weight, did you start with your weight in the obese range, or did you work off those last ten pounds?
    I need to lose between 15 and 25 pounds, depending how you choose your 'ideal' weight.

No gas really. I am worst with cruciferous vegetables and onions so my body seems to like the break!

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    I stuck out the 2 days that I counted on, then went out and bought more taters to resume the experiment , interrupted by a cheese omelette for breakfast. I'm debating whether to eat taters for dinner (supper) and keep going just to see what happens. But I am reacting badly to weather changes and haven't slept properly for 2 nights. Sure hope it's only fibromyalgia, and not blood sugar crashes. I am down a couple pounds, which is neither here or there, but I'm enjoying being at almost my lowest weight (other than 5 minutes 4 years ago) in 35 years. And I'm still plenty obese, but if this breaks my loooooong stall, I'll be happy. If it kills me, I won't finish this experiment. Heheh

Mayanway is offline Junior Member
    I am rather curious about this, based on my experiences with varying diets available while doing field research. I spent most of my summers in college and grad school out in the field and always lost some weight - the very primal friendly lifestyle of camping, waking up with the sun and being active all day long was no doubt largely responsible for this. However, the most dramatic change was in the shortest project I was involved with, which happened to be in Peru. My diet there consisted mostly of primal-friendly starches: white rice, yuca and plantains, with small portions of meat or fish stew that lent some flavor but not much substance. I felt like I was eating tremendous amounts of food, but had dropped 11 lbs (and a pant size) when I returned to the states after 3 weeks. Not quite the same as what's described here, but it does make you wonder.

Sweet potatoes are on sale at $1/4 lbs at my local grocery store, hmm...

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Did you guys see that Nikoley over at FTA is doing this?

Page 94 of 109 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast