Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 93

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrrrl View Post
    Hey well done LC. I lost about 4lb in my 4 days but had to stop because I was ill from a bug. Are you doing intermittent spuds or all the time?
    I looked through the thread for intermittent spud eaters and didn't see any. Did I miss them? I am wondering what you can get away with.

I wasn't really interested at first because weight loss has been mostly steady on a moderate macro diet, but as I get closer to my goal, the effects of my monthly cycle seem to be intensifying. I am ravenous and craving sweets and grains for several days after ovulation and was wondering if a heavy starch diet for those few days might be easier. I love potatoes, but have been kind of avoiding them because they are a lot of calories for the nutrients. However, if all potatoes, or mostly potatoes would make those days easier, it might be worth a try. Would I have to give up my 2 cups of coffee with milk in the morning in order not to balloon up eating plain potato the rest of the day?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

tatiana131 is offline Junior Member
    I totally joined this forum after reading for months, and just to try this hack. I have stalled spectacularly and all kinds of good eating are not budging my weight. So, I'm a 32 yo female, starting weight 145, we'll see where I end up and how long I last. Goal is to keep to this potatocopia for one week, weighing self every morning.

To start with I made two potato stews - one potatoes, garlic, cumin, turmeric, chiles. One adobo style - potatoes, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, cumin. All ingredients appear to be sanctioned, and I love stews since it's winter here. I'll weigh and take two containers to work and see how it goes.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Mmm... easy on the soy sauce.

AC

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Still reading through this thread, but just want tommention that I hope you guys are eating organic potatoes!! Root vegetables are among the worst to buy non-organic. Farmer's admit they'd never eat their own non-organic grown potatoes!

"Root vegetables absorb herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides that wind up in soil. In the case of potatoes--the nation's most popular vegetable--they're treated with fungicides during the growing season, then sprayed with herbicides to kill off the fibrous vines before harvesting. After they're dug up, the potatoes are treated yet again to prevent them from sprouting."

Read more: 7 Foods You Should Never Eat | Fox News
    Good point!

tatiana131 is offline Junior Member

How come?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Mmm... easy on the soy sauce.

AC
    Why easy on the soy sauce? Other than water retention? I used a tamari soy sauce, and it's my understanding that it's fermented, so decent for gut flora, and still fat free.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tatiana131 View Post
    Why easy on the soy sauce? Other than water retention? I used a tamari soy sauce, and it's my understanding that it's fermented, so decent for gut flora, and still fat free.
    A lot of people are leery of soy in general. I think the good, fermented stuff is OK for periodic use.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZZeroG View Post
    My Goodness...

as they'd say down south, "Y'all give Otzi a break."

There is actually MUCH more to this than the "potato diet." That just happens to be a fun food that seems to fly in the face of the "bad carb" crowd. Anyone that's read much of my stuff knows I don't believe in "protein, carb and fat - speak."

It's great to see the success repeated. I just wanted everyone to know that "otzi" didn't intend on stealing anything and in fact sent a link soon after posting here.

oh, and I'm not a vegan, paleo, or any other such label. Just a scientist with a mid-life crisis calorimeter and an incredible drive to hack and understand.

I hope to have a little more time to hang out in the future, but just wanted everyone to ease up a little. If you are concerned about me "not getting credit" for something, you can always fill out some data sheets - I love crunching through data and the best part of these "N of 1" experiments is that everyone is at least eating the same thing...

Thanks!

Ray

Hey, Ray - Thanks for dropping by. Can't wait to see your research! That must be cool to have an in-home calorimeter, I thought I was doing good buying a $20 glucose monitor...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering how your folks take your decision to live for 2 weeks on potatoes? I am wondering if I can manage to cook all family meals and stuff and only eat potatoes, and not inspire anxiety in my husband?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Why easy on the soy sauce?
    Because soy is poisonous to humans and the sauce, which in theory is fermented so safer, is often loaded with MSG, which will make you hungrier than you were to start with.

There's also the fact that many brands are created through chemical processing that leaves all sorts of nasties, and then there's this:

Which types of soy sauce are dangerous? in The AnswerBank: News

Pure, organic fermented beans and salt? Should be OK. Chances are though that isn't all that's in your soy sauce...

AC

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I was wondering how your folks take your decision to live for 2 weeks on potatoes? I am wondering if I can manage to cook all family meals and stuff and only eat potatoes, and not inspire anxiety in my husband?
    Start with a tator appetizer while you are cooking, before you move onto your tator main course

It is harder when cooking for family, but I find it helpful to have stuff cooked in advance. All they have to do is warm it up. So a little preparation on my part.

Or I wait until they might be gone, like this week

And DH and I eat sort of differently anyways, so I just dont make a big deal about it and he never really notices until I point it out. There have been times I eat only meat, cuz I need the protein, or I dont eat something because I want to save my calories, etc. He just understands that part of my journey.

It is funny, he use to eat anything I put in front of him, never thought twice about it. And now that I am cooking healthier stuff, he questions it and wont eat it. Like bone broth. Or liver.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast