Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 93

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by tatiana131 View Post
    Why easy on the soy sauce? Other than water retention? I used a tamari soy sauce, and it's my understanding that it's fermented, so decent for gut flora, and still fat free.
    A lot of people are leery of soy in general. I think the good, fermented stuff is OK for periodic use.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZZeroG View Post
    My Goodness...

as they'd say down south, "Y'all give Otzi a break."

There is actually MUCH more to this than the "potato diet." That just happens to be a fun food that seems to fly in the face of the "bad carb" crowd. Anyone that's read much of my stuff knows I don't believe in "protein, carb and fat - speak."

It's great to see the success repeated. I just wanted everyone to know that "otzi" didn't intend on stealing anything and in fact sent a link soon after posting here.

oh, and I'm not a vegan, paleo, or any other such label. Just a scientist with a mid-life crisis calorimeter and an incredible drive to hack and understand.

I hope to have a little more time to hang out in the future, but just wanted everyone to ease up a little. If you are concerned about me "not getting credit" for something, you can always fill out some data sheets - I love crunching through data and the best part of these "N of 1" experiments is that everyone is at least eating the same thing...

Thanks!

Ray

Hey, Ray - Thanks for dropping by. Can't wait to see your research! That must be cool to have an in-home calorimeter, I thought I was doing good buying a $20 glucose monitor...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering how your folks take your decision to live for 2 weeks on potatoes? I am wondering if I can manage to cook all family meals and stuff and only eat potatoes, and not inspire anxiety in my husband?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Why easy on the soy sauce?
    Because soy is poisonous to humans and the sauce, which in theory is fermented so safer, is often loaded with MSG, which will make you hungrier than you were to start with.

There's also the fact that many brands are created through chemical processing that leaves all sorts of nasties, and then there's this:

Which types of soy sauce are dangerous? in The AnswerBank: News

Pure, organic fermented beans and salt? Should be OK. Chances are though that isn't all that's in your soy sauce...

AC

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I was wondering how your folks take your decision to live for 2 weeks on potatoes? I am wondering if I can manage to cook all family meals and stuff and only eat potatoes, and not inspire anxiety in my husband?
    Start with a tator appetizer while you are cooking, before you move onto your tator main course

It is harder when cooking for family, but I find it helpful to have stuff cooked in advance. All they have to do is warm it up. So a little preparation on my part.

Or I wait until they might be gone, like this week

And DH and I eat sort of differently anyways, so I just dont make a big deal about it and he never really notices until I point it out. There have been times I eat only meat, cuz I need the protein, or I dont eat something because I want to save my calories, etc. He just understands that part of my journey.

It is funny, he use to eat anything I put in front of him, never thought twice about it. And now that I am cooking healthier stuff, he questions it and wont eat it. Like bone broth. Or liver.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Lookie what I found.

I know it is old, 2008, 2007 and something from 2002, but I was snooping around looking at carb/calorie cycling stuff and one click lead to another. And yes... I only scanned it but thought I would post.

The International Year of the Potato

The McDougall Newsletter - If I Could Be Your Doctor, I'd Love to Tell You How

The McDougall Newsletter
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Lookie what I found.

I know it is old, 2008, 2007 and something from 2002, but I was snooping around looking at carb/calorie cycling stuff and one click lead to another. And yes... I only scanned it but thought I would post.

The McDougall Newsletter
    There is some good reading in those links if you can handle all the Veganese...for instance:

"For millennium, the five thousand potato varieties found worldwide have been consumed fresh (boiled or roasted) or reconstituted in stews from dried forms. Potatoes are outgrowths (enlargements) of the roots of the potato plant—called tubers. The primary purpose of the tuber is to store energy to keep the potato plant alive during the winter months and through droughts. Secondarily, these starch-rich, underground storage organs (USO) benefit us by providing a high energy, nutritionally complete food for people, during times of feast and famine."

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Lookie what I found.

The McDougall Newsletter
    Interesting stuff

I agree about the veganese!

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZZeroG View Post
    My Goodness...

as they'd say down south, "Y'all give Otzi a break."

There is actually MUCH more to this than the "potato diet." That just happens to be a fun food that seems to fly in the face of the "bad carb" crowd. Anyone that's read much of my stuff knows I don't believe in "protein, carb and fat - speak."

It's great to see the success repeated. I just wanted everyone to know that "otzi" didn't intend on stealing anything and in fact sent a link soon after posting here.

oh, and I'm not a vegan, paleo, or any other such label. Just a scientist with a mid-life crisis calorimeter and an incredible drive to hack and understand.

I hope to have a little more time to hang out in the future, but just wanted everyone to ease up a little. If you are concerned about me "not getting credit" for something, you can always fill out some data sheets - I love crunching through data and the best part of these "N of 1" experiments is that everyone is at least eating the same thing...

Thanks!

Ray
    Hey man, didn't realise you were a member here, great to see you are. Your research is interesting. I found it a fascinating experiment.

And glad you dropped in here to clear things up. Got annoying when people were jumping in to attack Otzi, apparently for the hell of it.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    another 2 lb.

I think I will revert to primal this weekend. shame whilst I am losing but feels weird to go too long

Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast