Page 91 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 91

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    But that is indeed showing what it should be 1 or 2 hours after...?
    after...the moment you start eating.

"2-hour postprandial blood sugar measures blood glucose exactly 2 hours after you start eating a meal."

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    But that is indeed showing what it should be 1 or 2 hours after...?
    I think Owl's fears are unfounded, but it all relates to his comfort zone, so it's all good! I think if Owl (not picking on you) eats a 'regular' meal, say, some meat, veg, and a little rice and checks his BG 2 hours after, his levels will be perfect. When eating just a bunch of potatoes, they will probably be a little higher. With the regular meal, the protein and fat slow the absorption of the starch and cause other interactions such as CCK release which just starch don't do.

So, maybe Owl's right...spending a week or two spiking your insulin to abnormal levels may be 'bad' for you. Then again, maybe it's good and leads to improved insulin sensitivity. Hmmm.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Isn't high insulin associated with resistance, not sensitivity?

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    bingo!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Isn't high insulin associated with resistance, not sensitivity?
    Prolonged high insulin definitely correlates to insulin resistance (or diabetes). High blood glucose levels, especially fasting, indicate insulin resistance as well. What we have been talking about here is spikes in blood glucose. The spike will prompt a surge in insulin which will clear the glucose from the blood in an insulin sensitive person.

Normal glucose levels are important to good health and the next blood sugar chart shows the fasting level for a normal person and then the raising and falling of blood sugar after a meal.

Let's see if this link works: It shows normal variances over 24 hours for 21 insulin sensitive people, eating regular food.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tMgToYs_oY...ndividuals.PNG

Here's another good chart to show what levels should be at certain times:

http://anormalbloodsugarlevel.com/bl...-levels-chart/
    Last edited by otzi; 11-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Otzi. I guess I'm not as diabetic inclined as I thought I was, and it will be interesting tracking my blood sugar levels on a potato diet. Alas, poor hubby has eaten himself well and truly into the no potato zone, but can handle most things fairly well. Peanut butter will also send him skywards, but those 2 foods were constants in his life before he got his diagnosis. Fortunately or otherwise, he can't handle even mild diabetes medications; so diet and abstinence are his only options right now.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Prolonged high insulin definitely correlates to insulin resistance (or diabetes). High blood glucose levels, especially fasting, indicate insulin resistance as well. What we have been talking about here is spikes in blood glucose. The spike will prompt a surge in insulin which will clear the glucose from the blood in an insulin sensitive person.

Normal glucose levels are important to good health and the next blood sugar chart shows the fasting level for a normal person and then the raising and falling of blood sugar after a meal.

Let's see if this link works: It shows normal variances over 24 hours for 21 insulin sensitive people, eating regular food.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tMgToYs_oY...ndividuals.PNG

Here's another good chart to show what levels should be at certain times:

Blood Sugar Levels Chart | A Normal Blood Sugar Level
    I'll have a look, ta.

looked at those links, I still wonder if the starch causes spikes that would add to insulin resistance?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    looked at those links, I still wonder if the starch causes spikes that would add to insulin resistance?
    My little pea-brain says that eating nothing but starchy tubers for 7-14 days would not cause insulin resistance. I followed a strict low carb (less than 80g) for over two years, being careful not to 'spike my insulin'. After testing my insulin/glucose response after several potato meals, I can say I am not insulin resistant. Eating nothing but potatoes for a really long time, say a year, would be a better bet to cause insulin resistance.

otzi Guest
    Really good talk on how we handle starch. From AHS 2012, Chris Masterjohn:

Page 91 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast