Page 85 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 85

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    The only thing I have to say about this is that this thread is completely about weight loss....versus this forum's purpose of trying to gain good health. I am disappointed in some of the people who have jumped on this wagon :\ Have fun yo-yoing....
    Well thank you for your concern but my health is excellent.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    There is no reason to suppose this creates a yo-yo effect. The weight goes off and stays off for most people who have reported trying this weight loss hack.

Well I'm still reading the Thermogenex blog and the science is really good. I hope that anyone who's going to slag this off has actually read before they comment... It's seriously interesting stuff.

A friend sent this when I told her about this week's potato fast...
    McDougall Newsletter June 2006 Mary's Mini-McD Diet

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Sheesh - not all of us see this as a weight loss bandwagon. I am not overweight, never have been. I am a very fit and muscular man in his 30s.

I was curious as to the science and how it would affect my exercise and energy (and weight, as a measurement not an objective) after being paleo and generally at the lower end of the carb spectrum, whilst having a physically demanding job. Generalised statements (especially those dictating what someone else should do, or not do, thanks AC) are just crazy when you don't know why someone is experimenting.

I am happy to shake things up now and then, I like to see how my body responds to different things. If I want to have a crack at this for 3 days with one meal that is a deviation, just because I was aiming for 5 days but going a bit nuts, I will.

I am not chasing a weight loss miracle and I don't think anyone should assume what everyone else is doing.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrrrl View Post
    That is an awesome find! As I said before, the real answer will be somewhere between hardcore paleo and hardcore vegan. Take this quote from the article:

"High protein diets are popular in part because they are easy to learn and follow: Buy a burger anywhere—throw away the bun, scrape off the ketchup and you are now on a diet that gives immediate weight loss. The working mechanism for this diet is to make you sick by feeding you an unbalanced diet solely of fat and protein, causing fluid loss and appetite suppression. Over the long course this form of malnutrition causes your arteries to rot, your bones to be urinated into the toilet, your bowels to ache from plugged-up defecation, and your body to smell like the stock-yards you pass while driving down highway 5 (from San Francisco to Los Angeles).

The learning curve for the McDougall Program is steep: People must retrain their taste buds to enjoy unfamiliar foods, and they must also learn new ways to cook, shop, and socialize. There are additional struggles: healthy eating in restaurants often requires brutal confrontations with the wait-staff and detective-like skills are needed to locate McDougall-approved convenience items in the local grocery. Add to these burdens daily sabotage from well-meaning friends, family members, and their own doctor. But, the reward from overcoming these obstacles is their best opportunity to have a lifetime of great health. Mary’s Mini-McDougall Diet is powerful tool to use for easing the learning curve. "

Pure vegan. But we know she's way wrong, so we also assume her take on potatoes is wrong: "White potatoes are 10% protein with all of the essential amino acids provided in generous amounts. These tubers have 2.5 grams of dietary fiber per potato. That translates into 50 grams for an active man and 37 grams for an active woman. Potatoes are very high in vitamin C, B vitamins, potassium and other minerals. In animal experiments potatoes have been shown to have a particularly potent cholesterol-lowering effect.4 Feeding rats a potato-enriched diet for 3 weeks led to a 30% decrease in cholesterol and a 36% decrease in triglyceride levels.5

The potato even meets the needs of growing infants. Eleven Peruvian children, ages 8 months to 35 months, recovering from malnutrition, were fed diets where all of the protein and 75% of the calories came from potatoes.6,7 Their growth patterns were normal. (Soybean-cottonseed oils and pure simple sugars provided some of the extra calories—neither of these sources—oil or sugar—contains protein, vitamins, or minerals.) "

The ironic part is, she is advocating the potato diet as a life-long endeavor...we are using it as a fat-busting, short-term diet hack, then resuming our eating of 'rotting animal flesh'.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    The ironic part is, she is advocating the potato diet as a life-long endeavor...we are using it as a fat-busting, short-term diet hack, then resuming our eating of 'rotting animal flesh'.

I know! :lol: Her descriptions made me laugh but this friend who sent me this does 'potato days' quite frequently to drop a couple of lb here and there. It's part of her lifestyle.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrrrl View Post
    ha...fascinating!

Hey, join the club. I'm at the end of my second day. Very filling.

I am curious why some people didn't experience weight loss at all with this hack. I find that quite interesting. I hope I'm not one of them....

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    2 more lb gone in 2 days

Page 85 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast