Page 84 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 84

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer,

Any veggie that gives you your entire ("official") protein requirement all by itself has to be considered "fairly high in protein" but yeah, it's low protein by primal standards and it's low protein by bodybuilding standards.

And yep, it will probably still work with fat, IF you keep the calories low enough. But on that basis why not just go low calorie and be done with it?

Where the science appears to be going with all this seems to be that there's something significant about fasting, by virtually eliminating protein for short periods. Now there is still some protein in spuds so it's debatable if the effect comes directly from that or not. However as experiments go, we may as well just throw everything in the air and eat whatever we want, once you start adding fat into the mix as well. So we've got starchy carbs, fiber, protein and fat. About the only food group missing is alcohol?

"Oh, I tried the 'everything except alcohol diet' and it didn't work for me" - said every fat Muslim ever. Wait, what?

Seems to me though the biggest takeaway from this thread is that some people are letting themselves get stressed over other people's attempts at helping.

As avoiding stress is one of the 10 rules of a primal lifestyle, I'm out of this thread.

Have fun.

And some bacon.

AC

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Have fun.

And some bacon.

AC
    Agreed....truce. Have a good one.

Beachspirit is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Otzi for all the information. You may have rained on his parade on MDA but you've also directed traffic back to his site.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Hey potato people, I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but if you are looking for an alternative, I discovered purple sweet potatoes at the farmer's market yesterday. They taste much starchier than regular sweet potatoes and a little less sweet. They are purple on the outside and purple and white on the inside and the purple stays purple after they are cooked. Really pretty. So you might consider that an interesting alternative.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    They are purple on the outside and purple and white on the inside and the purple stays purple after they are cooked. Really pretty. So you might consider that an interesting alternative.
    Those sound purdy I was going to do sweet tators for a few days, but forgot. I think I forgot cuz I am on a good losing streak and happy for now.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    And so the marketing blitz is now over?

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    "fairly high in protein compared to lettuce"

It all depends how you compare.:-)

On a an equal calorie basis not so much
    100 calories of romaine has 7.2g or protein, 100 calories of a lean porterhouse has 8g of protein. So not much more.
    Brocolli has 11.1g of protein per 100 calories.

I'll let you figure out 100 calories of potatoes

Of course that 100 calories of Romaine is 20 oz and the porterhouse is 1 oz..
    Try eating almost a pound and a 1/2 of romaine ;-)

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    For whatever reason, my results so far are 6 lbs down for the week. I did add some leaves, nuts and berries yesterday just to see what would happen...nothing. Scale still dropped one more lb. Then back to potatoes. I've learned to enjoy them as primally as possible (given I'm a taste junkie..sigh) so sea salt, chives, ACV and freshly ground pepper are really tasty.

To stay fat-free, I topped one with some FAGE 0% Greek yogurt and chives and it was a good approximation of a regular baked potato at a steakhouse in my pre-LC days.

I'm going to finish up that pot of chicken veg soup today and then back to potatoes. I also never knew there were so many different types since I've been ignoring taters since 2007. It's been fun buying small quantities of new types of potatoes (Yukon Gold - yum) this past week.

Thanks again Otzi!

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    All right. I'm in. I read the Thermogenex page... so thought I'd give this a try. I'd like to have a bit of a weight loss boost before the end of Nov for various reasons...
    Breakfast was nice.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The only thing I have to say about this is that this thread is completely about weight loss....versus this forum's purpose of trying to gain good health. I am disappointed in some of the people who have jumped on this wagon :\ Have fun yo-yoing....
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 11-04-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Page 84 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast