Page 83 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 83

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I reject the suggestion there are only 2 ways to look at anything.

And thanks for the advice that if I want to stop, stop. But actually, if I want to try a medium ground, I will do that.

No you are not a policeman. If I want to take up the suggestion of a fireman of a good way to have a minimally disruptive break from just potatoes, to avoid giving up, I'll do that thanks.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Well sorry for trying to help.

Knock yourself out on fried potatoes. Let us know how that works out for you?

AC

I am sure it will help me last longer than 3 days without reverting.

And don't assume any reporting I do is directed to you, I don't care for your directions or need you to 'condone' my efforts to adhere to this as best I can.

Well that's my point, you ARE reverting if you go adding fat back into your intake.

Spuds are fairly high in protein, you've obviously got your carbs and now you're adding fat into it, so it's just a low-calorie diet then?

Why didn't you just do that to start with?

AC

Dan - made it through another spud day with that diversion. also lost another pound, thanks - I was ready to go back to meat and veg, it was a good tip.

I have a bunch of purple taters to try for next few days.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Well that's my point, you ARE reverting if you go adding fat back into your intake.

Spuds are fairly high in protein
    , you've obviously got your carbs and now you're adding fat into it, so it's just a low-calorie diet then?

Why didn't you just do that to start with?

AC
    This is complete BS. They are not even close in any sense of the word "fairly high in protein"...And YES that is all the potato thing is.....a low calorie diet. Get real. What else did you think it was. Damn Tator Nazis.

I potato, large, 64 grams of carbs, 7 grams of protein, ie around more than 10% is protein. 0% fat. That's pretty high protein for a veggie.

Can you people not read? I wrote:

"There's 2 ways of looking at the potato thing, either the 'low-calories because you're easily stuffed on spuds' thing, or the 'low to zero fat and low protein' thing, because it's almost starch-only diet.

As food in general goes, very low protein. For a veggie that's pretty HIGH in protein. As Otzi pointed out this is also 'complete' protein, hence the general idea that you're not supposed to lose lean muscle on the tater-only 'fast'.

Personally I agree, just going low calorie will have pretty much the same effect. To me the big difference is that boiled spuds make it easier, as you get stuffed quicker. Fact is, if you're going to experiment with a potato-only diet it doesn't make much sense to go frying the things in fat.

Stop and think about it for a moment? What do we call the low-protein, low-fat high-carb diet?

"SAD". Standard American Diet.

Heck, it follows the infamous food pyramid - mostly carbs, some protein, bit of fat on top, right?

60% of overweight Americans can't be wrong huh?

Me, I'm going with the BBC Horizon thing, low calories for 2 days a week, rather than just potatoes. The only reason I bothered to speak out was because frying starch is such an obvious No-No in both the bodybuilding world and in paleo/primal circles.

An almost starch-only diet sounds horrific enough as it is but there's some method to the madness, in that you're 'fasting" in terms of protein and fat, while still getting some energy. There does seem to be at least some science behind it. Heck, it worked for me, in that I lost a few pounds in a few days and hence I'm still following the thread.

But frying them?

Sure, if you like chips go for it - but don't call it the "potato only diet" when you're adding fat to it. Just call it the low-calorie, low-fat diet, as recommended by... oh I dunno.. every mainstream media outlet going?

"BREAKING NEWS! Low Fat Low Calorie Diet Might Work!

Ya think?

As for calling me a Tator Nazi, for what? For stopping after 3 days because the protein was too low? For pointing out the whole idea of the thing, if we're going to go down this crazy path, is "potato only"?

As as for Porkchop taking things personally, for why?

Seems to me ya'lls need some bacon or something, and chill the F out.

AC

Sorry, "lambchop" not Porkchop. Regarding the protein thing, credit to whoever posted the link earlier but:-

http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...-off-potatoes/

"Protein is required in the diet to help strengthen your cells and power reactions involving enzymes. The Institute of Medicine suggests a protein intake of 46 g per day for the average female. Consuming 14 medium red potatoes would give you 2,000 calories and 56 g of protein, according to the USDA's National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Thus, as far as your protein requirement is concerned, you could live off potatoes."
    Last edited by AlanC; 11-04-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added to the protein thing

I don't even do the tator diet. I just thought your remark about lamb "may as well eat a bag of potato chips" was ludicrous. Then you state one thing on about protein then contradict it in your next comment. Its both "low protein" and "fairly high in protein"? Sorry that I was confused. Perhaps if you said "fairly high in protein compared to lettuce" it woulda made sense. IMO even 35g of protein a day...complete or not is too low, so we agree on that it seems. So if low calorie low fat works WHY would low calorie with a bit of fat NOT? Or maybe this diet IS actually magical. But you said it wasnt?

For those reading I was not disparaging the potato diet.

otzi Guest
    Hey Tater Fans! Time for me to come clean. The mastermind behind the Potato Diet is Ray Cronise at Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn

It takes shape in the comments section of his latest 2 or 3 blogs. I invited him here to discuss it with us on this thread, but he said he would rather have you all go to his site and comment there. I don't think he was too happy that I gave all this away on Mark's Daily Apple. He will soon be publishing some peer-reviewed papers on the subject and is planning a big release. Sorry to have rained on his parade.

I think Ray has finally found a way to bridge the gap between vegan and paleo, and potatoes will play an integral role.

You guys can keep this thread going, but I have to bow out. If you visit Ray's site, you need to register, but it's free for now.

Good luck all!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    He will soon be publishing some peer-reviewed papers on the subject and is planning a big release. Sorry to have rained on his parade.
    Sweet.....looking forward to it!

Page 83 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast