Page 77 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 77

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I think eating a strict potato diet for 5-14 days teaches us something about ourselves that makes it easier to keep the weight off.

If we were all perfectly operating humans, we would stay within a narrow band of weight. We'd gain a few pounds in the summer and lean out in winter. If we overeat, our bodies should ramp up the metabolism to burn those extra calories as heat. If we undereat, our bodies should burn fat first to protect lean muscle. But we're not all perfect humans, we wear warm clothes in the winter and crank up the heat so we don't get cold, there are no seasonal food shortages or availability issues, our days are whatever length we want thanks to TV, lights, and computers.

Beyond initially adopting a healthy lifestyle like Primal Blueprint, it is still hard to keep in that narrow band of weight we'd all love to be in. Most diets fail and turn into lifelong, unhealthy yo-yo'ing. I like to think that with this potato trick in my back pocket, I can keep myself in a band of weight that shouldn't fluctuate more than 5 or 6 pounds year round.

I did really good maintaining my weight at 170lbs for a year without the potato diet. I just couldn't lose the extra 10lbs I felt I was carrying. Now, I've been at 160 for several months after a couple experimental rounds of potatoes. I'm going to try to maintain this new weight for the next year, but if I see it creeping up to 165, I will throw in a week of spuds to get it were it should be. I don't think this is fadish or un-primal, I think it taps into something ancestral that every culture on earth experienced from time-to-time, a famine with nothing much to eat except starchy tubers. I personally think one could go way longer than 2 weeks, but 2 weeks gives pretty good results and I have an active lifestyle that doesn't really jive with eating potatoes for extended periods.

Anyway, great observations and results, looking forward to pklopp's experiment.
    Later!
    Last edited by otzi; 10-30-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowcarb4me View Post
    I also found some butter flavored salt that isn't just synthetic garbage.
    Could we have the name of the butter flavored salt please?

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    PK,

I see what you are saying but I'm not concerned about 'reverting' back to bad habits that will put back on any weight I've lost. If straight calorie restriction helps move the needle, I'm happy with that. My eating habits are very healthy and I don't anticipate gaining back the weight I've lost. I've easily maintained where I am now without any calorie counting or restriction. I'm just shaking up the system a bit - I understand that I could have done that in. Any number of ways, but I think this is harmless for a week.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    These hacks are always short-term interventions intended to help one break through a plateau and then one reverts to previous eating patterns. That is to say, one reverts to the precise behaviour that resulted in the plateau, but with different expectations the second time around.
    I get what you are trying to say. Same is true of fasting, IF, etc. You can fast and lose some weight, but if you go back to Big Macs and ho ho's, then yes you will put it back on.

I know that in my case, adding the starches is what I needed. And I have KEPT them in. I might do a day of tators and then I might do a day of including tators with other foods and I have done days of focusing on protein.

So I guess really, I did not revert back. This was helping me to transition into a new way. My old way that caused my slow progress was even higher fat with low carbs. I think I have since learned that those macros are more maintainence for me, and if I want to lose weight, I had to change my macros around to less fat, more protein and include more carbs like starch. It did not really seem to be about the calories. And it is working for now. I might have to mix it up again at some future point.

But I think for someone else who was maintaining before the hack but just wanted to lose a few pounds, I would think it is okay to hack, lose the weight and then return to their normal eating. Same as with fasting. Fast, drop a few pounds, then go back to maintaining. But maybe fasts don't work that way either.

But I also think that maybe some have learned that once in awhile, they might have to do a tator day or two, or do a fast day or two and that is just the way it is for them to keep their weight in check. That doesnt mean it doesnt work, it just means that is just the way it is.

And maybe that is oversimplified and wishful thinking. I often wonder what it will be like, what I will have to do in order to maintain my weight once I get there. I just know that I want to stay on top of it, and I figured that if I see things creeping up, then it is time to whip out one of these little tricks like tators or fasting.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Keeks333 is offline Junior Member
    I am nearing the end of day 2, I was up .5lbs this morning. And after reading through this entire thread, I feel like I am eating WAY more than anyone else! I come from a fairly low carb (less than 100g a day) strict paleo diet, and have been constantly hungry on just the taters. I ate 1800 grams yesterday and I am at 1300 grams so far today... will this subside? Or should I just keep eating to satiety and not worry about the numbers? At this rate I am probably eating the same amount calorically in taters as I normally do so will this even make me lose weight if I am not in a deficit?

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    PK,

I see what you are saying but I'm not concerned about 'reverting' back to bad habits that will put back on any weight I've lost. If straight calorie restriction helps move the needle, I'm happy with that. My eating habits are very healthy and I don't anticipate gaining back the weight I've lost. I've easily maintained where I am now without any calorie counting or restriction. I'm just shaking up the system a bit - I understand that I could have done that in. Any number of ways, but I think this is harmless for a week.
    That's certainly reasonable. As I mentioned before, I wasn't speaking directly to you, I was just borrowing your phrasing to make a point.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Slightly off topic of potatoes, but regarding weight loss, calories and weight maintenance: I have only been tracking calories since September 10th. I have a feeling I was eating somewhat higher calories prior to tracking. Reducing calories did not seem to impact my rate of weight loss much. Changing the ratio of macronutrients (Eat Moar Fat) seemed to accelerate the rate only slightly. What I am trying to say is that my body likes to lose about five pounds per month whether I eat 1400 calories a day or 1900 calories per day. My metabolism seems to take modest variations in stride.

Since I went Primal in Jamuary I have had no significant weight loss plateaus or stalls. The longest I've gone without a half pound loss is two weeks. According to Taubes's Good Calories Bad Calories this is indeed the way the body should function. Variations in our daily diets shouldn't pack on pounds. In theory, when I reach my ideal weight, I should slow down the weight loss and then maintain it as long as my calories are within a relatively narrow range, say 1700 to 2000 calories a day. It seems that it took something drastic like this potato diet to boost my weight loss outside the five pound per week rate. I really don't think I would gain weight back whether I now ate 1500 a day or 1900 a day. My weight has never increased in the course of a week more than one pound since I started the Primal Blueprint. This may be unusual. I eat low carb and my weight is very stable from day to day. It will be unchanged for a few days then I drop a half pound here and there within a few days.
    Last edited by Miss Understood; 10-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I love ya, ya know.... and that is why I also tried the moar fat, which I understand for some is a lifestyle especially for medical purposes, while for others ketosis is meant to be a short term hack also. And after I tried the moar fat, I gained the moar weight, which only a 48 hr fast... yet another hack... would take off. So I had spent the last several months, just. spinning. my. wheels. I tried to give it a fair shake, but weight loss stopped. And even since going primal in March, weight loss was just crawling. I know it is not meant solely for weight loss. It fixes and heals alot of other things, but now it is time for me to get the rest of the weight off. That is my biggest concern at the moment.

So I was ready for some forward momentum and I didnt really care where from, except the absolute fast was just not appealing to me at all. However now after eating a mono-diet, I might be able to grasp my head around a longer more absolute fast. Or I might have to add co, butter, kraut, or heck maybe even a tator. But they are all tricks in my bag now.

I don't know why everyone who isnt on the tator wagon is getting their panties in a wad. Tators are primal. Mark talks about carb refeeds for weight loss for the purpose of restoring leptin levels in the dieter. Anything starchy 250 - 300g worth. Talks about a day, or 2-3 days, or some experts say a week long refeed. That is all this is.

Even the big dogs are talking about the benefits of starches. I just know that for me, moar fat was not doing it. I upped the fat, lowered the carbs, and tried to be mindful of the protein. It just was not working. I was starting to gain, I just had no desire to do any kind of exercise. I dont know if it was a lack of motivation or a lack of energy, but I dreaded exercise.

So this little jumpstart got me losing again, it got me moving again. I havent taken all my measurements yet, but I had to check my arms the other day, cuz they felt smaller. And almost an inch was gone. And a week or two ago, I had checked the measurement below my belly button, and it was an inch gone. I will re-take them all in a day or two but I finally was able to go down a jean size, one that I have not seen in a very.long.time. I lay in bed, even just walla go before I got up, just rubbing my stomach, and being amazed and very pleased with myself. It is just a great feeling to see it finally going down again.

As far as I am concerned, since I dont have a medical reason, ketosis or tators or fasting is not a permanent sustainable lifestyle, but they are all a permanent lifestyle hack that I can use when I need it.

I just thought I would be at the end of my weight loss by now. I didnt get serious about losing weight until January, maybe 5-10lbs before January. I lost most of my weight pre-primal. So since March 15 (give or take) I have lost about 20lbs. That is 7 months. 7 months and only 20lbs. Just makes me want to cry every time I think about it. Especially like this morning when I am reading of how others who started about the same time I went primal, have lost over 100lb or they have reached their goal in an amount of time that I thought I would have reached mine. The first few months of primal, I was still losing 4-5 pounds. But the higher the fat went, the slower the weight loss. I track everything, I can see it now. Before, I just was really trying to be a good girl & stick with higher fat, throw even moar fat at it, even though I knew it just wasnt working. But I thought, well I just need to do it longer... keep at it. But it just wasnt working.

I knew that back in my late 20's, I ate alot of tators but I was at the gym daily. I was squatting 300lbs and only started to bench at it was 100lbs. But squatting was my favorite so that was my focus. But I was afraid to eat tators again since I was not doing any exercise really to speak of. And then I re-read PHD which I had done many times before, but it didnt sink in. He is a higher fat paleo/primal kind of guy also, but he says for weight loss, you need to cut the fat and you need to add starches. I re-read that and within a day or two, read on a different thread that prompted this one, about the use of tators. This was a sign from Heaven. It was exactly what I needed to hear, and what I needed to do in order to get MY journey and my goals back on track. Otherwise, I would be sitting here still trying to figure out wth happened, wth do I need to do, why the hell doesnt the moar fat work for me like it does everybody else. I think I proved to myself that once I reach goal, that I can maintain just fine on the moar fat, and the primal lifestyle of higher fat fits, but I can not lose weight that way. Just my n=1. No one else has to agree. No one else has to do it. I just needed to find something that I could do, something I was willing to do - I am just not a willing happy camper when I fast and even though I know the one dude fasted for over a year on water, I really was just not excited about trying it - so I had to find something that I knew I could do, and do it.

This happens to be one trick. I ate a day of steak and eggs, and it was great and it worked also. I was hungrier that day than I am with just tators, but it worked. But this experiment has shown me that I do not need to be afraid of the tator and the carbs, that I actually do better with more carbs. Some days in Mark's sweet spot, some days in his maintainance range except for me I can still lose in his maintainence range. Heck I can still lose when I get into the insidious weight GAIN region - and I can do it while IF until lunch time. I dont have to be low carbs and in ketosis to fast like his curve suggests. It really doesnt seem to matter where my carbs or calories are for weight loss. It is more about the fat it seems. And not the % of fat but the actual grams of fat. That is what I have to watch for if I want to lose weight. I guess I am just a freak of PB nature, I don't know.
    1) Nobody ever said everybody has to be in ketosis all the time. Fat adaptation is different than ketosis.
    2) If you really read the Moar fat thread you will see that I gained Moar weight too before I understood how to do it correctly.
    3) Being afraid of potatoes is silly. Eating exclusively potatoes is sillier.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Not to single anyone out, you just happen to be the last post in this thread that demonstrates the point. This is one of my principal objections to all "hacks" relating to diet. These hacks are always short-term interventions intended to help one break through a plateau and then one reverts to previous eating patterns. That is to say, one reverts to the precise behaviour that resulted in the plateau, but with different expectations the second time around.

This simply cannot work. If it does, that would imply that a short term dietary intervention would result in long term metabolic changes. More specifically, if one were to become able to maintain the new lower weight on the same caloric intake and macro nutrient composition that previously maintained a higher bodyweight, that necessarily requires either a) a higher energy expenditure, or b) less efficient assimilation of nutrients. Irrespective of which is the case, it also requires that there is no compensatory change in appetite to induce you to eat more. And all of this would be brought about by eating only [fill in your favourite short term dietary intervention details here] for a few days.

I really wish metabolism worked this way ... it would make things much easier.

-PK
    Succinct that.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    1) Nobody ever said everybody has to be in ketosis all the time. Fat adaptation is different than ketosis.
    2) If you really read the Moar fat thread you will see that I gained Moar weight too before I understood how to do it correctly.
    3) Being afraid of potatoes is silly. Eating exclusively potatoes is sillier.
    I don't know how I could have done it any differently

As far as #3, the first part, yes I see that now. But the first thing everyone tells you is stay away from white starch. Cut your carbs. So the poor potato is one of the first things to go. And when you are trying to keep carbs low, in the sweet spot or keto, it is a scary thing to think about eating a tator. Will it just throw everything off you have been trying to accomplish? So you just avoid it.

As for the second part of #3, I dont see only tators any differently than only water fast for a few days, or only kraut for a few days, or only coffee & teas & water for a few days, or only coconut oil with coffee & tea & water for a few days, or only bone broth for a few days. Or maybe somebody is short on cash for a few days until payday, so they have to eat what they have for a few days which might be all one food. But that's just me. I just don't do absolute fasts very well. I like any one of those hacks for a fast. And while the tator might not be the same benefits of a fast, it has a different purpose, but it is the same idea to me. Some day maybe I can do an absolute fast for weight loss, but it helps me to have a little something.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-30-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 77 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast