Page 76 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 76

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I did the potato fast for 7 full days. As I remember, after 24 hours, I lost 2 3/4 lbs. At the end of the 7 days I'd lost 8 1/2 lbs. I only ate white, Russets, potatoes, baked. About 3 large "bakers" a day. I didn't eat sweet potatoes, yams or rice and only used about a tsp of ketchup once or twice, a little mustard or vinegar, or beef broth, salt and pepper and some Italian Seasoning. BMs were normal, I think I missed one day and I felt great.
    That's pretty much what I'm doing for flavoring. Add a little bone broth for moisture and roast in the oven. Add some apple cider vinegar and maybe mustard/ketchup. No sweet potatoes or other adjustments. I don't have to love it, just want to adhere to the discipline for the week and then get to eating delicious roasted meats dripping with fat. Though I'm thinking i will ease into it once the week is up and start with eggs, butter and bacon with some greens. Ha, all of my fantasies in the last day and a half have revolved around getting back to real PB eating - meat! Fat! I started some bone broth yesterday and had several roasted marrow bones - sadly had to put the scraped marrow into the jar I use for tallow. Will definitely be cooking with that next week.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    That's pretty much what I'm doing for flavoring. Add a little bone broth for moisture and roast in the oven. Add some apple cider vinegar and maybe mustard/ketchup. No sweet potatoes or other adjustments. I don't have to love it, just want to adhere to the discipline for the week and then get to eating delicious roasted meats dripping with fat. Though I'm thinking i will ease into it once the week is up and start with eggs, butter and bacon with some greens. Ha, all of my fantasies in the last day and a half have revolved around getting back to real PB eating - meat! Fat! I started some bone broth yesterday and had several roasted marrow bones - sadly had to put the scraped marrow into the jar I use for tallow. Will definitely be cooking with that next week.
    I forgot to add that after the first day I was having some uncomfortable gas. Someone posted that it might help to peel the potatoes. Apparently the peels were the problem. I found it easier to bake the potatoes, cool enough so I could handle them and then I was able to just pull the peels off with my fingers. Throughout the week I just microwaved the potatoes, I know oven baked are better tasting but I was intent on making everything very simple, accepting I was eating only potatoes for a week and getting on with it.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Not to single anyone out, you just happen to be the last post in this thread that demonstrates the point. This is one of my principal objections to all "hacks" relating to diet. These hacks are always short-term interventions intended to help one break through a plateau and then one reverts to previous eating patterns. That is to say, one reverts to the precise behaviour that resulted in the plateau, but with different expectations the second time around.

This simply cannot work. If it does, that would imply that a short term dietary intervention would result in long term metabolic changes. More specifically, if one were to become able to maintain the new lower weight on the same caloric intake and macro nutrient composition that previously maintained a higher bodyweight, that necessarily requires either a) a higher energy expenditure, or b) less efficient assimilation of nutrients. Irrespective of which is the case, it also requires that there is no compensatory change in appetite to induce you to eat more. And all of this would be brought about by eating only [fill in your favourite short term dietary intervention details here] for a few days.

I really wish metabolism worked this way ... it would make things much easier.

-PK
    Last edited by pklopp; 10-30-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    That's great! Enjoy your trip--don't eat too much!
    Thanks. This will be our second vacation since going Primal. We have timeshares so are not at the mercy of restaurant food. We cook most meals in the condo. In February we went to Aruba a month after starting this way of eating, and except for a couple tropical drinks, we stayed completely Primal, so it can be done. Better still I lost two pounds that week which is a first for losing weight on vacation! I lost track of how many pounds of pork belly and Gouda cheese we ate that week so there was no calorie restriction going on.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    PK, I am not sure I follow your thinking. You're saying that it's impossible to keep the weight off that is lost via a short term diet hack? I don't think that's true. The metabolism may be stimulated somewhat plus the lower level of calories consumed produces the temporary accelerated weight loss. No? You go back to eating as before and you go back to your prior rate of weight loss (or maintenance) and go on with your life. I was losing 5 pounds a month before trying this. This hack gave me an accelerated rate of weight loss. Now I'll go back to my 1.25 pound a week or so loss.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    I think the key point with a hack like this is that it's far easier to maintain a new, lighter weight than it is to actually lose weight.

Given the choice between a month of slow and steady fat loss while continuously depriving myself or a couple of days of bland spuds before adopting a less starvey diet, I'll pick spuds. Basically it's just a shortcut.

AC

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    PK, I am not sure I follow your thinking. You're saying that it's impossible to keep the weight off that is lost via a short term diet hack? I don't think that's true. The metabolism may be stimulated somewhat plus the lower level of calories consumed produces the temporary accelerated weight loss. No? You go back to eating as before and you go back to your prior rate of weight loss (or maintenance) and go on with your life. I was losing 5 pounds a month before trying this. This hack gave me an accelerated rate of weight loss. Now I'll go back to my 1.25 pound a week or so loss.
    We are in complete agreement. You will revert to whatever the state of affairs was before your short term intervention. So, if you were weight stable and weighed X lbs. dropped down to Y via your intervention, but then reverted to your X weight eating and activity patterns, you would revert to X.

-PK

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    I think the key point with a hack like this is that it's far easier to maintain a new, lighter weight than it is to actually lose weight.
    Not without behavioral changes it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Given the choice between a month of slow and steady fat loss while continuously depriving myself or a couple of days of bland spuds before adopting a less starvey diet, I'll pick spuds. Basically it's just a shortcut.
    This is precisely my point. "Adopting a less starvey diet" implies higher caloric intake which without higher caloric expenditure will result in weight gain. You revert to your previous weight.

-PK

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    I started a potato fast yesterday, in spite of some concerns about insulin resistance.

I can't say for certain if it's lack of fat (I suspect so) but the results from changing up my eating plan from high fat to almost nonfat has resulted in a loss of 4 lbs since Saturday.

I made a large pot of organic chicken vegetable soup and skimmed the fat. I ate that exclusively on Sunday along with my usual cup of coffee, but the coffee was with fat free creamer (yeah, not primal, I know. This is an experiment) Then yesterday I had coffee again with nonfat creamer and just potatoes.

I don't know if this will last, but if I can lose a pound a day doing anything without starving myself, I'm a happy camper.

I will add, for the sake of you who love flavor, that I experimented with ACV, Mrs Dash Lemon Pepper and regular Mrs Dash Garlic and Pepper seasoning. I also found some butter flavored salt that isn't just synthetic garbage. These seasonings plus my usual pink Himalayan sea salt made a huge difference. I'm really enjoying this.

I'll mention that after my third potato "snack" (I made a bunch of different types throughout the day and snacked on them as hunger returned) I noticed what I think of as a hypoglycemic feeling - slightly shaky and light headed - which promptly went away when I had a few more of the oven baked wedges with ACV and salt. Felt great the rest of the evening, and woke up NOT hungry this morning for the first time in months.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    No, read more closely, by a "less starvey diet" I mean it's easier to eat one's needed calories than it is to maintain a calorie deficit.

For example, using some figures out my ass, suppose you currently need 3000 cals to maintain and perhaps only 2000 to lose fat at an acceptable rate. Well only 2000 is tough when you're used to 3000 but if the hack gets you where you want to be in a few days, then it's much easier to maintain your new 'needed' level of 2500.

Obviously if you go back to 3000 you'll go back to your old weight.

2500 is easier than 2000. A few days on spuds is easier than a couple of months of 2000.

AC

Page 76 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast