Page 74 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 74

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Got the glucometer but ran out of strips. I'll get more so I can be ready - and thanks so much!

Keeks333 is offline Junior Member
    Question: I have a scoop of green vibrance everyday for vitamins and probiotics. Havent taken it yet today, do you think it would be okay to have during the fast? I would only mix it with water

Nutrition facts are here: Vibrant Health Green Vibrance Information : Vitabase

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeks333 View Post
    Question: I have a scoop of green vibrance everyday for vitamins and probiotics. Havent taken it yet today, do you think it would be okay to have during the fast? I would only mix it with water

I take something similar every AM and have for years. Can't let go of it and am honestly not that concerned. I take this stuff called Green Superfood. It's awesome.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeks333 View Post

I think it would be just fine.

Beachspirit is offline Junior Member
    I started with the potatoe fast last week and lost an average of 1/2 lb per day for 6 days. Then had an interruption due to a close friend passing. Too much red wine, red meat, stress and traveling caused me to gain back the 3lbs i lost. So I started again Friday. I had read about cold potatoes having more resistant starch so I boiled 3 lbs, refrigerated and nibbled on them all day. They were so good I ate them all in one day, almost 1500 cals, and the next morning showed a gain of .4 lbs. So, I decided to limit myself to 2 meals a day of 10-13 oz, weighed raw. Then I showed a 1.7 lb loss yesterday and a 1 lb loss today! I too will continue to eat potatoes even after the fast! I also find it helps to take magnesium for BM. Happy tadder day!

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowcarb4me View Post
    I can't believe I read the whole thing! I always seems to zero in on the longest threads when I join a new forum.

I am almost convinced to try this. I'm severely metabolic resistant, my C-peptide is 4.2 and I gain weight even eating salads, steaks and juicing I'm a mess.

Any cautions (didn't see any so far) for those that are very insulin resistant?
    I'd stay away from the twinkie (potato) diet. You probably already know this. Check out Dr. Richard Bernstein's Total Diabetes Solution as well as The Diabetes Diet by the same author. Perhaps if you get a handle quickly you can retain some -if not restore- effective insulin production. The diet he recommends, himself a Type 1 diabetic for years, is not going to include potatoes.

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    I own that book but my ex ended up with "custody" of it I need to get it back from him. It was the best I've ever read on the topic.

I produce plenty of insulin. My beta cells have not given up the ghost yet. I'm hyperinsulinemic. Which is, I assume, why everything I eat goes to fat. As of yesterday I'm going super low fat just to test my hypothesis. I've actually lost 2 lbs since Saturday, so maybe I'm onto something, or maybe I just had too much salt on Friday....time will tell!

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Just to mention From the book: in speaking about hyperinsulemia dr. B notes that "...inheritance plus inflammation plus fat in the blood feeding the liver causes insulin resistance, which causes elevated serum levels, which cause the fat cells to build even more abdominal fat, which raises triglycerides in the liver's blood supply and enhances inflammation, which causes insulin levels to increase because of increased resistance to insulin. If that sounds circular, it is. But note that the fat that is the culprit here is not dietary fat...."
    Since you seemed to like the book i thought I'd give a pertinent reference. Best wishes.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Well that's the end of the potato fast for me, as my measurements suggest I'm now losing lean muscle tissue

Day 1 - No change, stats seemed identical

Day 2 - 1.3 lbs lost, waist measurement dropped almost 1/2 inch, skinfold caliper seemed about the same, Biggly Index jumped up

Day 3 - 0.22 lbs lost, waist measurement returned as before (the half inch came back) skinfold caliper moved up about 1 mm. Biggly Index dropped down, not as low as before but heading down.

I do realize this was a very short term experiment of only 3 days but here's my conclusions:

Day 1 homeostasis kicked in, appetite kept me eating, body slowed down etc. No change.

Day 2 I was half expecting a gain, if only stored glycogen and salt water bloat but a pleasant drop in both weight and waist. The skinfold calipers confirmed it.

However I attribute much of this to a 70 minute hike through a hilly park on a semi-empty stomach. In fairness though the potatoes certainly helped dull my appetite and made the whole empty stomach thing much easier!

However day 3 was a killer. Mostly a desk-bound day, which is normal, so went for a walk in the evening, just a 20 minute stroll. Didn't feel I was eating much but I WAS eating quite regularly.

I really wasn't sure what the scales were going to say this morning...

Well they said a small drop, about 1/4 lb - but my waist measurement had gone back up again. Worse, the skinfold calipers had gone back up again.

Some of that could be bloating and calipers are hard to get a consistent reading with but the fact remains the weight loss had stalled and my measurements suggest potatoes again today would probably lead to gaining fat (if I haven't already). In the meantime I'm depriving myself of protein so it's quite possible the 1/4 lb lost was muscle tissue.

My overall conclusion for me personally is this:

I need more exercise!

For 3 days my calories never exceeded 1400, which is crazy low for a 5'9" 180+ lb man. In some way yes, more than a pound lost in 3 days IS drastic but the effects should have been more dramatic. I should have been starving hungry and losing weight on the first day, but I wasn't.

Day 1, without significant exercise, nothing changed. Day 2 with a lot of exercise my weight plunged, day 3 without much exercise, not much happened - but fat weight seems to be creeping on while lean muscle fades.

To me this suggests that while the Primal Blueprint talks of how 80% of it is diet, I think for ME, personally, my normal low-carb, hi-fat diet is probably fine, my problem is that I'm sitting at my desk nearly all day, on my comfy leather chair! All day I'm either working or surfing the net, sitting on my ass.

I need to do that "move frequently" thing.

My conclusion about the potato fast in general?

I think (boiled) potatoes are a great appetite suppressant if you're going to go for a 2 day fast.

The 'magic' as such is their ability to kill appetite at fairly low calories, while removing all other nibbly choices. For that it's great but beyond 2 or 3 days I have real concerns regarding lost protein and high insulin levels etc.

I think if you're already healthy and active and just want to lose fat weight then it should be pretty effective, though I still wouldn't recommend more than about a week. However monitor closely and if it's not really working for you, stop.

For me potatoes simply helped me do something we know works anyway - a long slow exercise session on an empty stomach. I just couldn't handle the idea of potatoes for breakfast and didn't feel overly hungry, so it worked in that sense.

In short, in CAN work, it certainly does work to some extent for most people, just monitor closely and use it as a learning tool as well as a short-term hack.

Otzi has discovered something useful, if you don't abuse it.

AC
    Last edited by AlanC; 10-29-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    Cannot believe I read this entire 79 pages. Certainly sounds interesting.

Page 74 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast