Page 72 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 72

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    My heavy lifting days love my tater days.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    My update (followed by my opinion):

Starting weight was 85.0 kg, 2nd day in was exactly the same, 85.0 kg. This morning my weight was 84.4 kg, ie a 0.6 kg drop

In English, on my 2nd day I've lost 1.3 lbs

Even better, my tape measure says I've lost 1 cm (about 1/2 inch) off my waist. Arms and other measurements have stayed the same.

Biggly Body Index shot up to 70.4% (about 5% increase), so at this stage it certainly does look like just fat weight, no noticeable muscle loss.

I don't care where the fat loss comes from, as long as it comes. This current result is due to calorie restriction, as I did a 1 hour and 10 minute walk around the local park (about 400 cals for me) and in total only ate 7 medium-sized spuds (about 1200 cals or so), leaving only 800 calories approx' for the day.

For me the secret is boiled potatoes.

Jacket spuds from the oven, home-made wedges and such, too tasty and I was munching all day the first day! Stuff yourself with boiled potatoes and it really does kill your appetite though.

I'm going to continue until my large pile of spuds runs out, whenever that happens to be. I'm vaguely guessing 2 more days but maybe 3.

For me the real test is if I get below 84 kg, as reaching 84.4 isn't that unusual. If I see 83 point something I'll be happy

But yeah, I think about 5 days is as far as I'm willing to go with this.

AC

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    My update (followed by my opinion):

Starting weight was 85.0 kg, 2nd day in was exactly the same, 85.0 kg. This morning my weight was 84.4 kg, ie a 0.6 kg drop

In English, on my 2nd day I've lost 1.3 lbs

Even better, my tape measure says I've lost 1 cm (about 1/2 inch) off my waist. Arms and other measurements have stayed the same.

Biggly Body Index shot up to 70.4% (about 5% increase), so at this stage it certainly does look like just fat weight, no noticeable muscle loss.

I don't care where the fat loss comes from, as long as it comes. This current result is due to calorie restriction, as I did a 1 hour and 10 minute walk around the local park (about 400 cals for me) and in total only ate 7 medium-sized spuds (about 1200 cals or so), leaving only 800 calories approx' for the day.

For me the secret is boiled potatoes.

Jacket spuds from the oven, home-made wedges and such, too tasty and I was munching all day the first day! Stuff yourself with boiled potatoes and it really does kill your appetite though.

I'm going to continue until my large pile of spuds runs out, whenever that happens to be. I'm vaguely guessing 2 more days but maybe 3.

For me the real test is if I get below 84 kg, as reaching 84.4 isn't that unusual. If I see 83 point something I'll be happy

But yeah, I think about 5 days is as far as I'm willing to go with this.

AC
    Good job, and thanks for the good notes. I notice the same thing with boiled potatoes. The drawback is they get old real fast. I doubt I could have done 2 weeks with them. But, yes, they kill the appetite!

Tell me about cassava. I've never had it, but vaguely know what it looks like. I hear it was a staple of natives in the tropics. I would love to see someone try this with cassava. Is it something one could eat for a while?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I track my body temperature daily, because I'm interested in it and how it correlates to other observable factors in my diet and habits. It's rarely that high, the only notable difference between normal and today being that I have eaten nothing but potatoes today. This is a temperature I can easily achieve intentionally by, say, eating a large, salty, starchy meal followed by ice cream. However, it's not one I typically see when eating at a sub-normal caloric intake consisting of solely whole plant food. Quite the opposite; this would typically make me feel cold and sluggish if it lasted a day or more, and my body temperature would have dropped. Given that I feel completely normal, with stable energy, no feeling of bloating, no intestinal discomfort, normal bowel movements and no other syptoms whatever to this point, I'm going to go ahead and dismiss your assertion that I might be experiencing an inflammatory detoxification reaction as misguided based on inadequate information. I hope you'll reform your opinion but that's up to you, of course.

I have no agenda here, I am just trying this as an experiment to see what effects on myself I observe and what conclusions I think I can draw from them. I am not going to sit here and claim that there are no other possible explanations, just that this is the one that seems most likely to me based on the totality of the information I have at my disposal. It was an unusual number on the thermometer and I admit I wrote about it with some measure of enthusiasm, which I often feel when presented with interesting phenemona. Do you have some issue with that or are you just looking for a dispute?

Ta ta ta taday junior!!!!

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Otzi, I can't tell you much about it I'm afraid. I'm from the UK; my Malaysian wife could probably tell you more.

It's somewhat popular here but everything tends to be over-shadowed by rice and more rice. For example I'm not aware of any dishes that use tapioca as the main ingredient, though I do see quite a few of the tubers in the open air markets.

Oops, there goes my beeper... my boiled po-tatties are ready!

(that was my enthusiastic face, was it convincing?)

AC

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "Beyond silly" is a good way to describe it. I thought the whole point of Primal living was to make a permanent sustainable lifestyle change as opposed to finding the latest temporary hack.
    I love ya, ya know.... and that is why I also tried the moar fat, which I understand for some is a lifestyle especially for medical purposes, while for others ketosis is meant to be a short term hack also. And after I tried the moar fat, I gained the moar weight, which only a 48 hr fast... yet another hack... would take off. So I had spent the last several months, just. spinning. my. wheels. I tried to give it a fair shake, but weight loss stopped. And even since going primal in March, weight loss was just crawling. I know it is not meant solely for weight loss. It fixes and heals alot of other things, but now it is time for me to get the rest of the weight off. That is my biggest concern at the moment.

So I was ready for some forward momentum and I didnt really care where from, except the absolute fast was just not appealing to me at all. However now after eating a mono-diet, I might be able to grasp my head around a longer more absolute fast. Or I might have to add co, butter, kraut, or heck maybe even a tator. But they are all tricks in my bag now.

I don't know why everyone who isnt on the tator wagon is getting their panties in a wad. Tators are primal. Mark talks about carb refeeds for weight loss for the purpose of restoring leptin levels in the dieter. Anything starchy 250 - 300g worth. Talks about a day, or 2-3 days, or some experts say a week long refeed. That is all this is.

Even the big dogs are talking about the benefits of starches. I just know that for me, moar fat was not doing it. I upped the fat, lowered the carbs, and tried to be mindful of the protein. It just was not working. I was starting to gain, I just had no desire to do any kind of exercise. I dont know if it was a lack of motivation or a lack of energy, but I dreaded exercise.

So this little jumpstart got me losing again, it got me moving again. I havent taken all my measurements yet, but I had to check my arms the other day, cuz they felt smaller. And almost an inch was gone. And a week or two ago, I had checked the measurement below my belly button, and it was an inch gone. I will re-take them all in a day or two but I finally was able to go down a jean size, one that I have not seen in a very.long.time. I lay in bed, even just walla go before I got up, just rubbing my stomach, and being amazed and very pleased with myself. It is just a great feeling to see it finally going down again.

As far as I am concerned, since I dont have a medical reason, ketosis or tators or fasting is not a permanent sustainable lifestyle, but they are all a permanent lifestyle hack that I can use when I need it.

I just thought I would be at the end of my weight loss by now. I didnt get serious about losing weight until January, maybe 5-10lbs before January. I lost most of my weight pre-primal. So since March 15 (give or take) I have lost about 20lbs. That is 7 months. 7 months and only 20lbs. Just makes me want to cry every time I think about it. Especially like this morning when I am reading of how others who started about the same time I went primal, have lost over 100lb or they have reached their goal in an amount of time that I thought I would have reached mine. The first few months of primal, I was still losing 4-5 pounds. But the higher the fat went, the slower the weight loss. I track everything, I can see it now. Before, I just was really trying to be a good girl & stick with higher fat, throw even moar fat at it, even though I knew it just wasnt working. But I thought, well I just need to do it longer... keep at it. But it just wasnt working.

I knew that back in my late 20's, I ate alot of tators but I was at the gym daily. I was squatting 300lbs and only started to bench at it was 100lbs. But squatting was my favorite so that was my focus. But I was afraid to eat tators again since I was not doing any exercise really to speak of. And then I re-read PHD which I had done many times before, but it didnt sink in. He is a higher fat paleo/primal kind of guy also, but he says for weight loss, you need to cut the fat and you need to add starches. I re-read that and within a day or two, read on a different thread that prompted this one, about the use of tators. This was a sign from Heaven. It was exactly what I needed to hear, and what I needed to do in order to get MY journey and my goals back on track. Otherwise, I would be sitting here still trying to figure out wth happened, wth do I need to do, why the hell doesnt the moar fat work for me like it does everybody else. I think I proved to myself that once I reach goal, that I can maintain just fine on the moar fat, and the primal lifestyle of higher fat fits, but I can not lose weight that way. Just my n=1. No one else has to agree. No one else has to do it. I just needed to find something that I could do, something I was willing to do - I am just not a willing happy camper when I fast and even though I know the one dude fasted for over a year on water, I really was just not excited about trying it - so I had to find something that I knew I could do, and do it.

This happens to be one trick. I ate a day of steak and eggs, and it was great and it worked also. I was hungrier that day than I am with just tators, but it worked. But this experiment has shown me that I do not need to be afraid of the tator and the carbs, that I actually do better with more carbs. Some days in Mark's sweet spot, some days in his maintainance range except for me I can still lose in his maintainence range. Heck I can still lose when I get into the insidious weight GAIN region - and I can do it while IF until lunch time. I dont have to be low carbs and in ketosis to fast like his curve suggests. It really doesnt seem to matter where my carbs or calories are for weight loss. It is more about the fat it seems. And not the % of fat but the actual grams of fat. That is what I have to watch for if I want to lose weight. I guess I am just a freak of PB nature, I don't know.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

ginib is offline Member
    @gopintos - AMEN!

I'm looking at this as more of a detox and a simple way to get back in the groove. It was easier for me to go cold turkey off refined carbs and sugars and now I will be able to re-introduce foods systematically and see what effect they have on my system.

Starting day 6. Stayed the same this a.m., but was down 2 more yesterday for a total of 7bls. in 4 days. I am thrilled! No one even noticed I was only eating hash browns at the book study last night. One of the ladies brought cheesy scalloped potatoes so I did indulge in those as well.

My plan today is to end this after tomorrow. I am getting tired of taters. But my energy level has been good, I am less bloated and my stomach is also flatter. All good things.
    Gini

SW - 273 - 2002 pre gastric bypass (BPD-DS)
    SW - Aug. 2, 2011 - 178
    SW - Nov 1, 2011 - 168.5
    CW - 160
    GW - 157
    5' 6"
    50 something female

Day 3 potato feast - down 5 lbs

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    At the onset of Day 3, I now weigh 107.6. This is down 2.6 pounds from my starting weight of 110.2. Will post measurements later when I take them. Temperature on waking today was 97.5 F. This is up a couple points each day so far, and weight is down both days. Can't complain!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I started yesterday. Had a bfast of bacon and eggs cooked in bacon grease, then ate a few boiled red potatoes with hot sauce, rosemary, and a little sea salt many hours later. I was initially stuffed, but was hungry again at bedtime. Just ate two more tatoes, felt stuffed, and now 30 minutes later feel my hunger again. This is going to be hard for me without fat.
    I'm worried I'll be one of the ones who gain. But we shall see...
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Ta ta ta taday junior!!!!
    Oh, so sorry, did I neglect to distill my thoughts into an easily-digestible sound bite for you? Guess you'll just have to read for comprehension or something.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 72 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast