Page 71 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 71

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The potato diet will work for some, but not for everyone. It is a "hack" in the most literal sense and not all hacks work for everyone. Seeing some of you immediately suggest that anyone needing an extra push for their weightloss goals go on a potato diet right away is what scares me.

So it worked for you. Great. Be happy that it did. Just don't go touting it as a "one size fits all" solution for overcoming weightloss humps. There is no such thing.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Day 2 has nearly ended. This morning I was down roughly one pound, from 210.2 to 209.2.

This is within normal weight fluctuation for me so I won't declare a trend until the needle drops a little more. But I'm pleased. I ate roughly 3.5 lbs yesterday and another 2 lbs today so far, likely another pound-ish left in me to eat tonight for dinner, maybe. Not hungry yet.

I feel quite warm, but it was not a cool day out today. Lemme check my temperature...

Oh, yeah, I'm warm. 99.7 F. I don't feel the slightest bit ill or feverish, just VERY toasty. So there's a good indication of the thermic effect of potato starch!

My first meal today was baked potatoes in their skins with salt and pepper. Second was baked potatoes with salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice mix. It was pretty good, though a little dry. Definitely still appetizing, and then you're full for a while.

I also decided not to try to go cold turkey on caffeine while introducing a possible source of nutritional stress, so I'm still having coffee, but using the least amount of half & half I can get away to take the edge off the bitterness. So far so good!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Oh, yeah, I'm warm. 99.7 F. I don't feel the slightest bit ill or feverish, just VERY toasty. So there's a good indication of the thermic effect of potato starch!
    !
    So ....there is no chance that there is an intermediary between digested product and body temperature? Seems like a helluva leap to me. Just saying...thought I learned about various hormone pathways and something about the brain that has a say in this. Actually...far as the brain portion is concerned we need a higher temp and operating rate to eliminate poison from the system. Just something to think about.

OK again I'm gonna check out...I know this is a parade I'm not invited to .

It's like watching a train wreck though (thanks pklopp) I just can't help myself.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    lol....missed you paleobird. Actually I stopped pissing on this parade a while back cause it seemed futile. Even good ole choco and pklopp threw in their piece. Ah, well....seems if people are desperate enough they will grasp at anything. This just seems beyond silly (biologically) to me. BTW there ARE worse things in the world than eating just potatoes for a week or two....but nothing that I would confront willingly.
    Hey, Neckhammer. How's it goin'?
    "Beyond silly" is a good way to describe it. I thought the whole point of Primal living was to make a permanent sustainable lifestyle change as opposed to finding the latest temporary hack. Dr. Oz says raspberry ketones are da bomb. Let's dash out and get some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "Beyond silly" is a good way to describe it. I thought the whole point of Primal living was to make a permanent sustainable lifestyle change as opposed to finding the latest temporary hack. Dr. Oz says raspberry ketones are da bomb. Let's dash out and get some of those.
    Fine here....so sorry to hear about your Dad. Wish you and yours all the best. Seems so diminished and so irrelevant to type it over the internet. But, there it is anyhow.

As to this thread...meh, I figured a while back that 1-2 weeks of any "crash" died won't kill someone, but it is obviously NOT primal. The other problem I came to is the potato idea. Seriously.....If your going to do a crash diet do the one that is likely to leave you with as much lean mass as you started with RATHER than specifically draining you of that matter. So go for the steak and eggs diet if you must....not this garbage. Meh, I've been chastised for my views before on this thread (or I should call it passive aggressive desolvement?) Either way I gave up figuring a 1-2 week fast doesn't kill so how bad is potato. Pklopps hypothesis on page 6 of his thread actually makes even a 6 day plunge sound detrimental though, and quite in line with what I feared.

otzi Guest
    I think this is a long-overdue hack for the primal devotee. Most people start out eating primally, exercising, losing lots of weight and get healthier. Then they hit a wall, or gain a few back after the holidays or whatever. At this point, people turn to IF, longer fasting, Cold Water, ketosis, CrossFit, calorie counting, carb re-feeds, cyclical ketogenic, warrior diet, anything to get that fat moving again.

This is a hack--just like all those I mentioned--that really works! It also teaches us about hunger cues, CICO, carb-fear, it is short-term with visible results. It is also "Primal" as heck. You know Grok had to endure food shortages and relied on starchy tubers to get him through a famine. We are tapping into that and losing 5lbs in the process.

You know the Dukan Diet? They do the same thing...after the initial weightloss, anytime they gain 5 lbs they go back into a strict induction. I like to think of the potato diet as a way to keep on track.

Paleobird Guest
    OK, Otzi. You and the spuds have fun. Neckhammer and I are going out for steak and salad.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So ....there is no chance that there is an intermediary between digested product and body temperature? Seems like a helluva leap to me. Just saying...thought I learned about various hormone pathways and something about the brain that has a say in this. Actually...far as the brain portion is concerned we need a higher temp and operating rate to eliminate poison from the system. Just something to think about.
    I track my body temperature daily, because I'm interested in it and how it correlates to other observable factors in my diet and habits. It's rarely that high, the only notable difference between normal and today being that I have eaten nothing but potatoes today. This is a temperature I can easily achieve intentionally by, say, eating a large, salty, starchy meal followed by ice cream. However, it's not one I typically see when eating at a sub-normal caloric intake consisting of solely whole plant food. Quite the opposite; this would typically make me feel cold and sluggish if it lasted a day or more, and my body temperature would have dropped. Given that I feel completely normal, with stable energy, no feeling of bloating, no intestinal discomfort, normal bowel movements and no other syptoms whatever to this point, I'm going to go ahead and dismiss your assertion that I might be experiencing an inflammatory detoxification reaction as misguided based on inadequate information. I hope you'll reform your opinion but that's up to you, of course.

I have no agenda here, I am just trying this as an experiment to see what effects on myself I observe and what conclusions I think I can draw from them. I am not going to sit here and claim that there are no other possible explanations, just that this is the one that seems most likely to me based on the totality of the information I have at my disposal. It was an unusual number on the thermometer and I admit I wrote about it with some measure of enthusiasm, which I often feel when presented with interesting phenemona. Do you have some issue with that or are you just looking for a dispute?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

otzi Guest
    OK, Otzi. You and the spuds have fun. Neckhammer and I are going out for steak and salad.
    Actually I just had mexican shrimp! No taters for me today.

Page 71 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast