Page 67 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 67

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Recipes for both, please? I am doing a potato day tomorrow, and wouldn't mind something new.
    All I did with the mini muffin potato bites was peel then grate 1 large russett potato. Then Line non-stick mini muffin cups with the grated potatos. I like them thin so they are crispier. I pressed lightly until they only filled about half of the cups and were tightly packed together. Then salt and peppered top. Baked for about 30 minutes on 375 degrees. I dipped in hot mustard but would be good with ketchup(if you like it. I hate it).

For the sweet potato "waffles" I peeled and grated 1 large sweet potato. Then put about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and mixed. Then I heated my non-stick waffle maker and cooked. My waffle maker tells me when they are cooked which probably took about 10 minutes each. So I got about 4 large "waffles" that were really crispy out of that one sweet potato. It was a little messier than your normal waffle would be to clean up but they were so yummy that I might have to create some with eggs and butter and other stuff later when I'm not on this tater feast. I ate these plain for now but I think they would be great with fruit or marscapone or something after the feast is over.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! Too bad I don't have a waffle maker I wouldn't mind trying sweet potato this way. I've just got mini-muffin cups, so I would like to try the bites. I have a feeling they will be super-awesome party food. I have an electric slicer, i bet it would love grating potato. Did you drain the juice like with latkes?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    Mom, I've just always read that eating breakfast first thing in the morning and avoiding fasting will help heal adrenal/thyroid issues so your adrenal glands don't have to work overtime to provide brain glucose via gluconeogenesis. Also, supposedly, helps boost your temps by eating something right off the bat. This is what I've been reading on Whole 180 Health Source ? Or whatever that site is. ;-) I suuuspect I have adrenal/thyroid issues based on a lot of factors (getting a thermometer this weekend,) so I've been introducing more carbs, up to 100-150g net carbs a day. I feel SO much better already, my appetite is more controlled, I don't feel as spacey, and I get super pumped for my workouts again. Granted, I've been doing low-carb for a WHILE now, so it isn't the "low-carb flu". After eating just all potatoes for one day, I felt loads better. Since then, I've been doing lower fat (50-60g) and moderate carb/protein this week... A lot of tuna and eggs, sweet potatoes, brown bananas, yummy kefir, squash, carrots. I think it's totally possible for people to lose fat on a "higher" carb version of the paleo diet, given their activity levels/hormones.

Fascinating how much your temperatures can dictate how much weight you hold on to. I had no idea!
    Oh believe me I studied to be a personal trainer and a nurse. I took so many classes that taught how important breakfast was and that you have to eat at least 6 x a day or else. I lived by those rules for so long that I find myself automatically reaching for breakfast and snacks and so forth just because it has been such a part of my life and teachings for so long. My friends make sure to throw it in my face since I pounded it into thier heads over the years that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. They find it quite funny that I don't even eat it now

After finding MDA I started reading alot about IFing and was curious but did some research. Some things I came upon are http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27894.html and ["]URL="http://www.thefeelgoodlifestyle.com/fasting-for-fast-weight-loss-superior-fitness-and-better-health.html"]which I was very intrigued by. I thought it was worth a try since my adrenals and thyroid were doing better. I have been doing the 5 day IFing for about 3 months now and my adrenals are about the same. I just had my thyroid checked and it's still normal.

I am really good at understanding when they are acting up. Signs of my adrenals are temp fluctuations, pupils not dialating properly or at appropriate times, blood pressure drops when I stand up, waking with racing heart for no reason, and anxiety attacks. First thing I do is look at my stress levels. Try to remove any that are easily removed. Cafeine usually is the first to go. I love it though so I find myself drinking decaf then reverting back to cafeine almost without thinking about it. Usually just getting rid of the coffee helps alot. Yoga is next. As long as I do yoga (which I can't always afford) then I usually start feeling better. Adrenals are VERY sensitive to hard exercise (I used to be a chronic cardio girl which probably contributed to thier downfall). So I don't do crossfit or kickboxing or even running as this stresses my body out more than anything else can.

For my thyroid it's mostly supplements and eating right. Gluten was the culprit for my thyroid issues. But I still have occasional rises or falls in T3 and t4 if I don't get enough iodine, selenium, magnesium, D3, vit c, and sodium. So I supplement all of them just to make sure I am taken care of in that department. Even while fasting or doing the potato feast.

So far no issues........
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Mom - interesting! I still get a racing heart at times, poor recovery from workouts, or get irritable/emotional if I go 6+ hours without eating. I'm experimenting with my exercise, and am sad to hear you say that exercise really triggered your system. I love weight lifting but can really push myself to the brink and then it takes me days to recover. Over this past summer I was a beast in the gym; I'd think about it all the time! I made some killer gains but by this fall, I feel like it all BLEW UP in my face and now my recovery is in the toliet, I put on a little pooch in my belly, and I can't lift anything near what I was. Can you tell pretty immedietely if your exercise has jacked your system up?

I've been participating in yoga for the past 2 months and I agree, really great stuff! Actually invaluable to me at this point. Mine was only 40$/month the first month for unlimited classes (tons of different types offered 7x/week) and then now I pay 99$/month. I'm learning so many techniques I want to use on my clients/patients in the future! So, I take it as an educational thing as well. ;-)

Keeks333 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    I made some killer gains but by this fall, I feel like it all BLEW UP in my face and now my recovery is in the toliet, I put on a little pooch in my belly, and I can't lift anything near what I was. Can you tell pretty immedietely if your exercise has jacked your system up?
    Ummm I did the same thing. I lost 10lbs this summer from running 4 miles 5x/week along with strength training 4x/week. Now I think my cortisol levels are screwed up from overtraining... I weigh less, but now have belly fat that I have never had before in my life! I have been cutting back on exercise and trying to get more sleep, and seems to slowly but surely be helping. But not quite there yet. Thats a big reason why I am starting this tater feast on monday is to try and lose the last 5 and see if that belly fat budges at all!

chloe59 is offline Junior Member
    I soooo wanted this to work for me as well as it seems to be for most everyone else. After reading through the entire thread, I went with cold, peeled potatos with vinegar and salt. I had ~1.5 pounds per day. I lasted two days...gained 2 pounds, was starving the entire time, and my face broke out I know it wasn't weight gain from the sodium-I always add tons of salt to everything, so it was definitely no more than usual. I get that everyone is different, but I don't understand how some people are dropping 1-2 pounds a day, and I gain weight?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chloe59 View Post
    but I don't understand how some people are dropping 1-2 pounds a day, and I gain weight?
    Mark said this in regards to refeeds with starches:

He talks about carb refeeds for weight loss for the purpose of restoring leptin levels in the dieter. Anything starchy 250 - 300g worth. Talks about a day, or 2-3 days, or some experts say a week long refeed. He says:
    You’ll probably get that bloated, water-weight feeling the following day, especially if your diet is relatively low-carb, but that will go away after a day or so. Leptin will rise (independent of fat storage), glycogen will replenish, and your appetite will normalize.

65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

chloe59 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, that would make sense if I had been low carb prior to starting, but my diet wasn't remotely low carb before this.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Well there seems to be quite a few it is working for, so I'm officially starting today...

Wahoo!

Going for 5 days, ie today and to the end of October. I actually started munching on some yummy baked potatoes last night, for reasons.

Got 4 different varieties of spud, just to see which I prefer. They all look about the same once baked though..?

For breakfast had oven-baked wedges with some spicy Thai powdery stuff sprinkled on. Delicious but still hungry, so just dived into a pre-baked Russet, with "potato seasoning" on it.

Starting stats:

Weight 85 kg (187 lbs)

Belly (main problem area!) 102 cm / 40 in

Skinfold at hip 18 mm

Biggly Body Index (BBI) 66.5% (Bodybuilding Software, Diet Software Biggly Workout Routines, Forum)

I don't expect my height to change over the next 5 days but I'm 5'9" and a bit. As mentioned on another thread I have very sore elbows at present, so not really working out much at all. I'll be resting my arms for these 5 days.

Should also add that I just finished my 21 day primal challenge today. Result - lost about 0.9 kg but will be eating healthier and exercising more over the long term.

Much of my excess weight came from giving up smoking for my 45th birthday last year, went from 84 to 90 kg (198 lb). I ignored it and figured my health was more important than a number on the scale - but then it showed 90.4 kg (199 lb) and I decided "No, I'm not going over 200 lb!"

Have managed to claw my way back to about the same weight as when I stopped smoking - now it's time to tackle that belly!

Should also add that I used to be into mild bodybuilding, very low-carb eating, weights and lots of HIIT. Back then I reached 9% body fat at 79 kg. That was about 15 years ago but it feels more like 50 years ago!

Just going low-carb and a bit of working out here and there isn't working this time, my belly is sitting there defying me still. Have tried skipping breakfast, no change (and kept giving in to brekkie anyway, so not a practical long-term solution for me).

So yeah, 5 days of po-tatties. Nuffin else.

Bite me.

AC

PS: for anyone struggling with smoking, best advice ever - just STOP. No patches or anything, never, ever, take another puff. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me; within a week you start losing desire for em, by the end of 3 months you couldn't pay me to smoke one puff.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well despite only lasting 2 days on taters, I dropped 2.3lbs for the week, that's after 3 days of back to normal eating.

Maybe I'll keep doing 2 days of spud-eating a week on my days off after all.

Page 67 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast