Page 61 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 61

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Interesting on those links about changing your gut flora...... Chris Kresser also reccomends eating starches for a healthy belly as well. I ate 6 sweet potatoes and about 5 baby potatoes on Monday, I felt fine, a little tired but that's no surprise given the calories here... I kind of wanted to do a "reset", my appetite hasn't been able to shut off! I think the skins can really be problematic though, I got super bloated and it felt like I had swallowed knives. ;-) I still was suffering from it a bit yesterday, in which I ate normally (and had an awesome lifting session! Thank you Monday carbs?) but for some reason I just was NOT hungry and ended up eating about the same amount of calories that I had on my potato day. I'm also almost always hungry before bed... Just had no interest in food last night. My appetite still isn't there today. I was going through a list of foods that might look appealing to me and to be honest, sweet potatos sound pretty damn good. ;-) My weight has gone up aout 1lb but I figure that is water retention and more stored glycogen. I don't believe in this sort of "diet" because it's a "crash diet", but I do think it's beneficial to simplify our food choices for a few days to find our true hunger and can be more aware of what our BODY needs and not just what our taste buds want that day. ;-) I also think it's a good idea for healing a cranky gut. I notice if my diet is too varied, I'll often feel bloated or my stomach will hurt. When I stick to certain "staple" foods, I always feel better.

Will probably have some soft-boiled eggs today with my taters (I never made them because the yolk would always just run off on my plate, but now I can make them PERFECT so I can just use a spoon to scoop the yolk out. Amazing!! I could eat raw egg yolk everyday!), and perhaps I will go get some keifer... I'm trying to get myself to like it more. ;-) Also, what's the major nutritional difference between a sweet potato and a winter squash? I really don't like eating white potatoes. They don't make me feel good.

Oh... Reccomendation from my boyfriend for amazing sweet potatoes (who eats 6-8 in one MEAL! He is "mass gaining"..): halve and steam for 3 hours (we use a [supposedly] BPA-free plastic steamer with a timer. We now have three, they're AWESOME!), then roast at 425deg on a baking sheet for 30 minutes. It'll slip right out of the skin and have a very soft texture but an almost "burnt" flavor, like it got roasted over a fire. Mmm!
    Last edited by primal_jessjane; 10-24-2012 at 06:02 AM.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Oh... And I've seen a few people here who have just recently went on the Whole30 and inquired about trying the potato diet... ?!?!?!?!?!??!??? Why did you even go on the Whole30 to begin with then if you are open to the idea of heading straight into a crash diet? Heal your health first, weight loss later... The Whole30 and Weight Loss | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

Beachspirit is offline Junior Member
    Day 7, down .4 lb. I've been struggling to get this last 6 lbs off for years as my body just wants to plateau or gain back at this point. I'm sticking with it. The parchment paper works really well for the thin sliced potatoes that I originally tried to dry fry. I love potatoes hot, but today I'll let them cool down before I eat them to see if that helps. Good losses to you all!

ginib is offline Member
    Read the entire thread yesterday and stopped to pick up some taters. Started this morning with hash browns and brought what I didn't finish with me to work along with a bag of Baby Dutch Yellows, a microwaveable russet and two kinds of vinegar. To those of you asking, in the eastern US it's common to put Malt vinegar on fries or potato wedges. My story is - weight loss surgery 10 years ago, lost over 100lbs, but never got rid of the last 10. I've been watching carbs and sugars, concentrating on proteins but have gained and lost the same 5lbs repeatedly. Found MDA last Oct. and followed a Primal lifestyle for a while, but life happened - lost my job - and I lost my way. I am back now, refocusing and the Tater feast grabbed my attention. Hope to see the same kind of results some of you have been experiencing. I have a Mexican dinner scheduled for tomorrow night, but already checked the menu and I can order just rice, or may rice and beans. Best of luck to all of you in your journey.
    Gini

SW - 273 - 2002 pre gastric bypass (BPD-DS)
    SW - Aug. 2, 2011 - 178
    SW - Nov 1, 2011 - 168.5
    CW - 160
    GW - 157
    5' 6"
    50 something female

Day 3 potato feast - down 5 lbs

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Otzi, you asked where I'm living and about tapioca. I live on the island of Borneo:

Sales Copywriter

Yes they have tapioca here but I'm gonna go for the taters, if only due to the 'SI' sciencey thing someone linked. That makes logical sense.

Got too many family gatherings this weekend, so will probably start on Monday.

Already got a new frying pan (wok) tonight

AC

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Morning of Day 4. Down another 1.2 lbs, total down 2.6 lbs after 3 days of All Tatos All The Time.

No bloating this morning, nor after breakfast. Will avoid the skins today.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Completed 7 full days of the potato fast. I lost 8.2 lbs.
    Completed my first full day of post potato fast-Primal eating, the weight loss version. I weighed this morning, a little anxious, to see if a day of regular primal eating had added any weight. Happily I had lost another .4 lb. The "afterglow" continues.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff!

I'm expecting to lose some and then gain some back. As long as I lose more than I gain I'll be happy.

Talking of which, back in the day I'd use a rather wacky technique of stuffing myself silly for a week, then virtual starvation for a week, then stuffing again, then the last week of the month starving again.

Why? Because it messes around with your hormones, creating testosterone and packing on muscle when stuffing, while the starving caused fat loss. Yes, starving you'd lose muscle and stuffing you'd gain fat but the overall net result was around 2lb of extra muscle and 1 to 3lb of fat loss. And that's without weight training, just the boost in natural testosterone.

I really wouldn't recommend it more than one month a year and you need serious will-power for the semi-starving phase (around 750 cals per day, for an adult man) It's just too extreme and all too easy to settle into the stuffing without the starving!

AC

Primal Tracy is offline Junior Member
    This thread has brought me out of lurker status. I was intrigued so I tried the all potato diet for 3 days before going on vacation a couple of weeks ago. Lost 3 pounds. I am very sensitive to wheat and can easily gain 3-5 pounds in a day or two after eating poorly. That's what I did, came back up 5.6 pounds in 7 days. Went back on the all taters all the time diet and in the last 5 days I have dropped 5 of the 5.6 I gained on vacation.

I plan to complete 7 days this round, but I definitely see this as a viable way for me to stop my vacation excess upon returning and drop the weight I gained while vacationing. Will update you on where I end up after my 7 days and what happens once I return to a more traditional primal eating plan. Cheers! Tracy

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Day 3 done. Haven't hit 1500 calories yet, so stuffed.

Going for a full 5 days, then I'll weigh myself Saturday morning. Let's hope it was worth it!

Page 61 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast