Page 60 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 60

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    At the end of Day 3, I've been very bloated and even gassy in the evenings after dinner. Not the case during the day. Hubby is the same, but says his bloating is through the day as well. Any thoughts? I'm thinking it's such a change for the gut flora adjusting to the carb load.

Interestingly too, I've been really energized during the day yesterday and today, while hubby is feeling sluggish. I think he needs to eat more, but he says he can't stuff anything more in.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Interesting articles, thanks for the links. I don't suppose you're any crazier than the rest of us .

I had thought about the skins being a factor too, as it had been mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread. Of note, the last 2 days when the gassiness and bloating have been at their worst, dinner was the only meal where I left the skins on, tatos were peeled for breakfast and lunch. Perhaps I'll forgo the skins altogether tomorrow and hope for the best!

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I just pulled 152 hills of potatoes the other day, so I have no choice but to eat them. Each hill averaged around 8 potatoes, so you do the math. I've always supported the consumption of potatoes and other "safe starches" (Is that even a term anymore?) on these forums, so this thread rules. I've eaten potatoes, rice, and other starches daily for nearly a year now and my health has never been better and my weight is right where I want it to be.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    Hey all, just wanted to get peoples opinions on Sweet potato's vs white potato's?

My main concerns are toxins - the fructose in sweet potato's (approx 1.65g per 100g) vs the glycoalkaloids of white potato's (though from what I understand, removing the skin will remove the majority of these).

Basically, I've been cleaning up my diet in an attempt to remove acne, I've been eating Primal for 3 months and still haven't cleared up my skin, through my skin is in a decent state at the moment, it isn't clear. I'm about to remove spinach from my diet as an n=1 to see if it's the oxalates causing the problems (I have actually been eating 250g spinach with 500g other vegetables as part of my dinner), and I plan to add potato's or sweet potato's as a safe carb source.

Just unsure of which to go with... (preparation for either would be baking, and I would skin the white potato's)

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Personal preference here, but I eat and enjoy both. I slice them into wedges, coat them with olive oil, sea salt, and other spices, then bake them in the oven until they start getting crispy on the outside. The fructose in SP's is nothing to be worried about in my opinion, because it isn't just isolated fructose and comes with the whole host of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes from the potato. Same goes with the white potatoes, I couldn't be bothered, but this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    I just pulled 152 hills of potatoes the other day, so I have no choice but to eat them. Each hill averaged around 8 potatoes, so you do the math. I've always supported the consumption of potatoes and other "safe starches" (Is that even a term anymore?) on these forums, so this thread rules. I've eaten potatoes, rice, and other starches daily for nearly a year now and my health has never been better and my weight is right where I want it to be.
    I grew Yukon Gold's this year, had a 100 foot row and got about 600lbs worth. I ate about 90lbs of them in seperate experiments with 'only potatoes'. I think you will be quite pleased with the fat-loss that results from eating just potatoes for a week or two. Plus, it gives you a new appreciation for potatoes. I have never eaten a plain potato in my life until I started this.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    Hey all, just wanted to get peoples opinions on Sweet potato's vs white potato's?

My main concerns are toxins - the fructose in sweet potato's (approx 1.65g per 100g) vs the glycoalkaloids of white potato's (though from what I understand, removing the skin will remove the majority of these).

Basically, I've been cleaning up my diet in an attempt to remove acne, I've been eating Primal for 3 months and still haven't cleared up my skin, through my skin is in a decent state at the moment, it isn't clear. I'm about to remove spinach from my diet as an n=1 to see if it's the oxalates causing the problems (I have actually been eating 250g spinach with 500g other vegetables as part of my dinner), and I plan to add potato's or sweet potato's as a safe carb source.

Just unsure of which to go with... (preparation for either would be baking, and I would skin the white potato's)
    I have no experience with sweet potatoes. Try it, maybe it will work better! Then you can start a thread "Eat MOAR Sweet Pah'taters".

cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I have no experience with sweet potatoes. Try it, maybe it will work better! Then you can start a thread "Eat MOAR Sweet Pah'taters".
    Lol, I might look in to it.

Personal preference here, but I eat and enjoy both. I slice them into wedges, coat them with olive oil, sea salt, and other spices, then bake them in the oven until they start getting crispy on the outside. The fructose in SP's is nothing to be worried about in my opinion, because it isn't just isolated fructose and comes with the whole host of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes from the potato. Same goes with the white potatoes, I couldn't be bothered, but this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
    Yea, my thought was the same, it's not as bad since it's from a whole food, but I was more thinking if I add a 300g potato to my diet (as my main source of carbs), would it be better to try and avoid the 3.5g of additional fructose it would add in exchange for minimal levels of glycoalkaloids?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I did great... until... I had to fix supper for DH. Had a little chicken and little romaine. Still pulled -.9 out of my hat

I had a little rice yesterday also. It was sooooo gooood but not nearly as filling. It did help break up the monotony which may have kept me from eating something else so I guess that was a good thing.

I will try sweet tators after the 1st.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK. I've read most of this thread: I'm in!

I was planning to do a last-ditch, pre-vacation diet hack, anyway, so it looks like Taters is IT. I'll tell you about diet hack # 2 which I had planned to do before I read about the Tater Diet. I will probably use it as a transition out of Taters, as it seems very synergistic.

Back in the 70s and 80s if my weight crept up around 10 pounds I would do a week of "protein diet." I typically lost 7-10 pounds in a week but it is boring, boring, boring, and you have to drink a lot of water to keep your kidneys flushed out. Basically you eat lean protein and that's it. I guess it's no more monotonous than potatoes every day, and I assume it works on a similar principle, in that you are providing your body minimal fat. The body uses the protein it needs, converts any spare to glycogen, and takes fat from your body. As I recall, I used to keep my calorie consumption fairly low, but that's fairly easy to do on lean protein.

You weren't supposed to eat fatty cuts of meat so that pretty much limited me to white meat chicken and turkey, and turkey ham or other processed hams that were low fat. I ate sugar free gelatins, so I'm guessing a low fat bone broth should be OK. It seems, despite the ban on beef presumably because it has more calories, 90% lean cuts, especially ground beef since you're cooking off some of the fat, might be acceptable now and then to provide more variety. If I remember correctly you were allowed an occassional small serving of cottage cheese or yoghurt. I was in my teens and 20s back when I did this and I probably subsisted mostly on deli meats (EWWWWW) so perhaps with cooking REAL meat most of the time and preparing it different ways with a variety of seasonings it wouldn't be quite so tedious.

First things first, though, so taters for me for 5-7 days if I can do it without losing my mind. I started today with one large baked potato and am off to boil and mash some more for use later today.

Starting weight 150.75.

Page 60 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast