Page 54 of 109 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 54

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I remember reading that it was decided that rice would work almost as well as potatoes for a change of pace. Are we talking white rice only, or would wild rice work?
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    ....a lower glycemic index,
    Plus... white potatoes have more toxins and gut irritants. :-(
    The Jaminets (PHD) are recommending potatoes (not to the exclusion of yams) as they have reduced toxins--once they've been boiled.*
    To reduce any problems with the GI of potatoes, eat them with vinegar, wine, lemon juice <--PHD

Paul Jaminet: The Perfect Health Diet, Safe Starches, and Intermittent Fasting | Fat-Burning Man by Abel James: Real Food, Real Results. <--podcast. About the 21:00 mark.

http://chriskresser.com/rhr-what-sci...th-mat-lalonde <--podcast--Lelonde on potatoes (35:45) and a *chat how the threat of toxins is somewhat misguided and over-hyped.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Looks delicious. You could probably leave the honey/syrup out completely when using it for the potato diet.
    I made the ketchup, though I didn't have cloves and decided to try it without any added sweetener. It's tasty but very tangy, I can see where the sweetness would balance that out. I considered adding a few drops of stevia, but decided to use it as is with nothing sweet added.

Shredded potato latkes for brunch with vinegar and salt, very good, but time consuming to make and cook. Note that I was making these for 2 of us, so it was 5 good sized potatoes (about 1 kg). Ate maybe a pound or so.

Dinner was baked purple and red potatoes with primal ketchup. I ate 1lb and had room for more, so had another 1/2 lb, and am stuffed. Probably more than I needed.

This is very weird. Though perhaps no weirder than straight carnivore or raw vegan. Or so I told one of the teenagers, who was busy laughing. I said it's better than a straight french fry meal.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying it starting tomorrow. I baked a ton of potato wedges in preparation.

Why am I doing it? Mainly because I'm bored with meat and dairy right now. A potato only diet actually appeals to me and I'm sure by the end of 5 days I'll be ready for meat and dairy again. If I lose a few lbs, it's a bonus. And I certainly don't see any harm in it, I actually think our varied daily diets are 100% NOT Paleo. (Not that I care if it's true paleo or not.) I think eating potatoes for a week or two straight is probably more like our ancestors ate. (eating a lot of whatever is plentiful at the time.)

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    How are people's energy levels? I feel like an absolute FOOL wanting to do this but I'd like to look and feel my best when I see my boyfriend shortly.. It's been 3 months! Being back at home with unlimited amounts of amazing food (paleo, but still,) has left me a little.. uncomfortable. It'd probably kill me if I wasn't able to work out though, run around, ride my bike, lift heavy things.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My energy levels were perfectly fine. I have only done it for day and a half increments once a week. I am going to do it afain this week. It's going to be my "carb up". I think doing a carb up completely fat-free should be great.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Did you notice any difference in your weight/clothes?

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksongirl1 View Post
    Hi all - I am in but one question: I am scheduled for cholesterol blood work in 2 weeks so if I start this tater diet now, will this skew my results? Should I just wait to start the taters program after the blood work? Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks!
    It may, but it may be a positive 'skew'. See this link for what happened to Chris Voigt of 20 potatoes a day fame and his health markers.

Mr. Voigt has posted the results of physical examinations, including bloodwork, from the beginning, middle and end of the diet. The change he experienced during that time is nothing short of remarkable. He shed 21 pounds, his fasting glucose decreased by 10 mg/dL (104 to 94 mg/dL), his serum triglycerides dropped by nearly 50%, his HDL cholesterol increased slightly, and his calculated LDL cholesterol dropped by a stunning 41% (142 to 84 mg/dL). The changes in his HDL, triglycerides and fasting glucose are consistent with improved insulin sensitivity (2, 3), and are not consistent with a shift of LDL particle size to the dangerous "small, dense" variety (4).

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    I find the whole food as reward theory very interesting. I ate 6 small to medium potatoes today. I find myself thinking I would love to eat an egg or some chocolate...but since the only thing I am allowing myself to eat is potatoes, I find myself totally uninterested in eating anything else today. It is very telling and will be interesting to discover how often I eat when I am not really hungry but just to satisfy an emotional need. And interesting to think about people in the world or in the past who did live mostly on potatoes or yams or rice or what ever out of necessity.

I also had a tall coffee with about 1/4 cup of raw cream today. (single mom, little kids, dont sleep through the night, coffee is staying...) I think it will be pushing it to eat this way for 5 whole days. I am very bored with potatoes and it is only day 1. I think I'll try potato wedges tomorrow for dinner and left overs on Tuesday. I am planning to eat them at my desk in my clinic (school nurse) and then when my relief comes to break me for lunch, go for a walk, so that I dont have a room full of teachers asking why the nurse is just eating potatoes and ketchup for lunch every day. :P

Today was left over roasted potatoes with ketchup, simmered potatoes in water with onions and poultry seasoning. Dinner was boiled cubed potatoes with a bit of mustard. It did taste a bit like potato salad...but not quite. + the 1/4 cup cream with coffee.

I didnt notice a difference in energy, my energy is always low due to lack of sleep...but I did have a headache the last half of the day. I did dip in energy about noon, but then I had my coffee and felt better. But that isnt any different than any other day...

Here's to making it to Thursday...I might try 5 days of potatoes followed by 5 days of strict paleo, followed by 5 days primal then 5 days of potatoes. I know I have to have days where I can drink raw milk and eat 85% dark chocolate...but if I rotate, it will be limited. Or I might be so happy with the weight loss, I'll be able to make it longer on potatoes. I'll just see.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

jacksongirl1 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    It may, but it may be a positive 'skew'. See this link for what happened to Chris Voigt of 20 potatoes a day fame and his health markers.
    Wow his cholesterol drop was amazing! Hmmm... I may start this potato experiment this week! Thanks!