Page 52 of 109 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 52

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ok I've spent the past two days reading about this and I've decided I'm going to give it a try. I like Otzi's suggestion a page over about doing this in a 5 days on 2 days off pattern as I have a fair bit to lose.

The reason this really appeals to me is the idea that it may effect one's fat set-point. I have lost a lot of weight over the past 7 years and I have been both heavier and lighter than I am now in the past 3 years. What always happens to me is that whenever I stop actively trying to lose weight, I end up back at the weight I am now (97ish kilos). I have got down to 82 at one point and porked back up to 109, but I always end up back here. I am convinced that this is my set-point. My body likes it here. I however, do not!

So, I think that I will make an interesting case study on the ability of reduced palatability/food reward to lower the body's fat set point.

I just had my farewell meal of a dozen oysters kilpatrick (yum), baked 2kg of baby potatoes and peeled, grated and rinsed 2 1/2kg of Nadines. I'm ready to go.
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 10-21-2012 at 04:55 AM.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    This is an interesting concept. If it is nutritionally sound and breaks a plateau or shakes things up, I am in.

And if it turns me off potatoes forever, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Thanks, bunches. This is exactly the kind of recipe/tip I'm looking for. After all, potatoes are potatoes and we don't have a lot of wiggle room on flavors or cooking. Bottom line, meals will still taste like potatoes but I've collected enough ways to prepare them that I'm sure I'll make it through the 10 days. Seeing a consistant weight loss really makes the trip easier. I got a mandolin for my birthday and haven't used it. Definitely not good with slicing things evenly with a knife. I'll give this a try today.
    Be very careful with that mandolin, first time I used mine I cut myself and had to get stitches in a fingertip. I wasn't even slicing when I did it. One of the slices was stuck between the blade and the body of the slicer and I cut myself trying to remove it.

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Today is day 1 of just potatoes. Weight yesterday was 177. Weight this morning was 175.5. Breakfast - cubed potatoes roasted last night with rosemary and then eaten this morning with ketchup...yes, I'll be eating a lot of ketchup for a while.

Not sure I can do 5 on 2 off...maybe 5 on and then 5 off. When I feel too deprived, I tend to binge. It will be better for me to have a longer time between potato fasts.
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 10-21-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

primalcar is offline Member
    Down another pound today! Total of 3.4 pounds in 3 days. I don't know if I can keep it up today as I have some social obligations. I'm going to try though and for sure pick it back up tomorrow. I feel great!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Ok I've spent the past two days reading about this and I've decided I'm going to give it a try. I like Otzi's suggestion a page over about doing this in a 5 days on 2 days off pattern as I have a fair bit to lose.

So, I think that I will make an interesting case study on the ability of reduced palatability/food reward to lower the body's fat set point.
    Glad you are in...interesting find about the SI of potatoes. Yes, I think that has a lot to do with it, but I think there is more to the story. People keep telling me to stop talking science and keep talking results. I think the results are starting to pile up! I'm glad all you guys are trying this, I think some were just thinking I was BS'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    This is an interesting concept. If it is nutritionally sound and breaks a plateau or shakes things up, I am in.

And if it turns me off potatoes forever, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!
    Can't wait to see your results! The worst outcome is that it doesn't work and you hate potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Be very careful with that mandolin, first time I used mine I cut myself and had to get stitches in a fingertip. I wasn't even slicing when I did it. One of the slices was stuck between the blade and the body of the slicer and I cut myself trying to remove it.
    I cut my fingertip, too. Didn't need stitches, but those things are sharp!

Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    Today is day 1 of just potatoes. Weight yesterday was 177. Weight this morning was 175.5. Breakfast - cubed potatoes roasted last night with rosemary and then eaten this morning with ketchup...yes, I'll be eating a lot of ketchup for a while.

Not sure I can do 5 on 2 off...maybe 5 on and then 5 off. When I feel too deprived, I tend to binge. It will be better for me to have a longer time between potato fasts.
    I found ketchup helpful, too. That primal ketchup recipe looked awesome. Have you tried salt and vinegar instead of ketchup--it's a nice change. I think 5 on 5 (or 14 even) off would be a good long-term plan as long as it's getting results.

Quote Originally Posted by primalcar View Post
    Down another pound today! Total of 3.4 pounds in 3 days. I don't know if I can keep it up today as I have some social obligations. I'm going to try though and for sure pick it back up tomorrow. I feel great!
    Be good...keep primal and you'll do fine.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I've not tried this recipe yet, but it's from the PB cookbook.

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1/3 cup water
    3 tbsp raw honey or pure maple syrup
    3 tbsp onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp sea salt
    1/8 tsp ground allspice
    1/8 tsp ground cloves
    1/8 tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a food processor or with a hand held blender until smooth. Add a bit of water it if too thick. Store in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator.

It sounds pretty decent. I might reduce the amount of honey/syrup.
    Looks delicious. You could probably leave the honey/syrup out completely when using it for the potato diet.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Another interesting article from WHS which may help to explain why it's possible to eat so little when sticking to potatoes only.

SI =satiety index
    Comparing the Fullness Factor with Existing Satiety Data
    After creating this formula, ND plotted its predicted values against the experimental data taken from Holt's 1995 study. Below is a graph that shows this comparison, and following the graph is some further discussion.

Read More Fullness Factor™ – NutritionData.com

Edit: Shoot, there is a nice graph at this link showing the SI of various foods. I couldn't cut and paste it so you'll have to click the link. Looky where the lowly tater is!
    Last edited by otzi; 10-21-2012 at 09:00 AM.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering if you just ate sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Better for your gut!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    I'm wondering if you just ate sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Better for your gut!
    I'd love to see you try. Do a week of sweet potatoes, two weeks of normal, then a week of white potatoes. It may work as good or better.