Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 5

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Otzi this is interesting! I am not gonna lie the first few sentences I thought "No flipping way" but the more I read into the thread, I was like "interesting...could work". I personally can't stand potatoes so I can't experiment but good to know!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I bought a OneTouch just for this. My FBG is about 90, spikes to 140 after eating, then back down to 90. I don't see it as a problem.
    Yikes! Glucose levels over 140 show to produce nerve damage. Seems like you may be pushing that thresh hold a bit there. Of course how high above 140 you spike is correlated to the amount of nerve damage, so perhaps just going to 140 your still OK.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I had my first dinner of mashed potatoes with some warm beef broth to make it really tasty. I ate 13 grams of mashed potatoes and felt very full and satisfied. 16 grams = 1 pound.
    13 grams is less than 1 teaspoon.

1 pound = 453.59 grams

msfish is offline Junior Member
    Will there be the issues of carb hangover after the 10 or so days? Does your body want to store fat after the potatoe days when you add the fat and protein back in?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, to all that are doing this, you should definitely take pictures to show any results from it.

I wouldn't be concerned with losing lean mass if only doing this for 10-14 days, especially if one is engaging in some resistance training.

Personally I wouldn't really be able to keep this up, not for lack of will but because I live with my gf and we eat together a lot, she's on board with the primal diet, but it'd be tough to sell this one especially for the duration it requires. If I lived alone I would probably give it a shot for 7 days and see if another week was worth it.

Regarding some comments about not being able to do this because of the boring aspect of it or the lack of variety in the diet, read this if you have some time, Stefansson 1 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health. the important part being that all habits can be broken especially if it's an issue of availability. Like Otzi and others have said, once you accept that all you have to eat are potatoes your mind will let go of desiring to eat other foods - even if those are still physically available. If you act as though they're not (and surely this might require a particularly strong will or imagination) you will be at day 14 before you know it. Also recommended is simply not thinking about your diet or food options and instead take the opportunity to free up that space for other thoughts or activities. Your menu is taken care of: potatoes, so instead focus on other stuff, things you want to learn, books you want to read, etc. It's kind of how for those that fast, not having to worry about making breakfast (or whatever) allows for other activities now that the time has been freed up.

Pictures! seeing is believing.

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Oooh the insulin spike is a bit of an issue for me actually

I was prediabetic before I started primal so I have to watch out for that.

Are potatoes known as something that spikes blood glucose greatly? I've never researched them because I basically eschewed them after adopting PB
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    13 grams is less than 1 teaspoon.

1 pound = 453.59 grams
    Good catch: My bad. I ate 13 ounces of white potato.

16 ounces = 1 lb.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yikes! Glucose levels over 140 show to produce nerve damage. Seems like you may be pushing that thresh hold a bit there. Of course how high above 140 you spike is correlated to the amount of nerve damage, so perhaps just going to 140 your still OK.
    Hmmm. I thought it was fine. I was talking about right after eating...
    Wikipedia says:

"The mean normal blood glucose level in humans is about 72 mg/dL, however, this level fluctuates throughout the day. Glucose levels are usually lowest in the morning, before the first meal of the day (termed "the fasting level"), and rise after meals for an hour or two by a few millimolar. Normal Human Glucose Blood Test results should be 70 - 130 (mg/dL) before meals, and less than 180 mg/dL after meals (as measured by a blood glucose monitor).

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Interesting, to all that are doing this, you should definitely take pictures to show any results from it.

I wouldn't be concerned with losing lean mass if only doing this for 10-14 days, especially if one is engaging in some resistance training.

Personally I wouldn't really be able to keep this up, not for lack of will but because I live with my gf and we eat together a lot, she's on board with the primal diet, but it'd be tough to sell this one especially for the duration it requires. If I lived alone I would probably give it a shot for 7 days and see if another week was worth it.

Regarding some comments about not being able to do this because of the boring aspect of it or the lack of variety in the diet, read this if you have some time, Stefansson 1 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health. the important part being that all habits can be broken especially if it's an issue of availability. Like Otzi and others have said, once you accept that all you have to eat are potatoes your mind will let go of desiring to eat other foods - even if those are still physically available. If you act as though they're not (and surely this might require a particularly strong will or imagination) you will be at day 14 before you know it. Also recommended is simply not thinking about your diet or food options and instead take the opportunity to free up that space for other thoughts or activities. Your menu is taken care of: potatoes, so instead focus on other stuff, things you want to learn, books you want to read, etc. It's kind of how for those that fast, not having to worry about making breakfast (or whatever) allows for other activities now that the time has been freed up.

Pictures! seeing is believing.
    My husband has been slow to 'come around' to Paleo although he eats very clean and is a marathon competitor. He has been eating Paleo since I'm responsible for cooking most of our meals. I was hesitant to share with him my new 'potato project' because I thought he would really object. However, once I provided him with information to read and browse, he came into the kitchen and said, "10lbs of potatoes isn't going to be enough for both of us this week".

Yeah! However, my husband will be doing a modified approach as he's running a marathon in 7 days and he doesn't want to completely change his routine this close to a race. It's great having my partner on board with me....but it's not imperative.

/Lou
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Started this morning, set 2.5lbs of potatoes to one side and baked half of them. Ate 4 halves this morning, and will hashbrown some for lunch with vinegar, I hope balsamic is ok, will check.

This morning - weighed 81kg, or 178.2lbs. 6ft2,5inches and 44 years old.

Here are some pics taken last week, I was 80kg then. Not looking bad but some belly fat to shed, I think 6lbs or so will take me to 12% BF

Sorry if they are a little blurry

Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast