Page 48 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 48

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So what is the concensus on supplementing protein (such as BCAAs or whey) during your tater-time? It shouldn't interfere with fat oxidation and might spare more lean mass especially if people don't want to stop their resistance training, no?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    And just to make things easier as far as the white varieties of potatoes go, they're jusssssst about
    perfect, gram to calorie ratio.

So if you had 300g of COOKED russet, cals are 290 - so it's close.

Always better to overestimate than under.

This is with the skin on, too.

Red potatoes have slightly less, coming in at .89 of a calorie per gram, skin included, COOKED.

Yams are 1.16 cals per gram, and sweet potatoes are .9 cals per gram.

Both cooked, both with skin on.

As far as the delineation goes, at MY store, the potato with orange innards are "garnet yams" and the
    ones with yellow innards are sweet potatoes.

So that's what *I* am talking about when I say yams and sweet potatoes, but other people have
    other thoughts on the matter, so, well, go on with your bad selves.

All I can say is that I've been doing this since Monday the 8th, and not as a fat blasting kinda thing the way
    Otzi describes it, but as a satiating mechanism during the day so I don't eat like a freaking horse.

So I've been eating potatoes when I get hungry during the day, and then usually some sorta meat
    for dinner and veggies.

The potato part is very entertaining because while they're tasty good, there is no way in HELL that I would
    dig into "another one" because they taste so good. I just can't do it. Would probably vomit - but I can eat
    a pound of bacon in one sitting and still want more an hour later because it calls to me. Potatoes do NOT, but
    I *do* love them.

So I've been having about 500cals of potatoes a day, then a normal dinner equaling about 1200 cals
    all together.

Let me tell you how just eating paleo, how HUNGRY I would be on 1200 cals. Could NEVER DO IT.

But these potatoes just flick a switch and I can go HOURS. So weird.

And, the best part is that I am wearing jeans that used to CUT ME IN HALF two weeks ago, and today
    I'm wearing them... Have been ALL DAY. And even after eating 450g of yam (which is bloating as all
    get out) I am STILL wearing them and they are STILL not cutting me in half. Which, I totally can't believe
    because usually after the first bite of anything, I'm like "yeah, um, where are my softy jammie pants?"

The whole thing is pretty unbelievable to me since I just did the "more fat" protocol for a month and
    a.) didn't lose shit, and b.) felt like shit.

This was surprising to me considering zero/very low carb used to be my "go to" cocaine. I could always count
    on ZC/VLC to get me back to where I was or lower since 1996. In 2009 something "broke" and it just wouldn't work
    for me. Even in a deficit..... though I kept trying because I just couldn't believe that it wasn't working anymore.

Eating all these carbs is like a fat nazi eating piles of fat. I became accustomed to NEVER eating carbs so
    doing this is just.plain.wrong.

But it's working, it tastes good, and I SO LOVE not.being.hungry

So I'm glad Otzi's post came out when it did, because I almost relegated myself to just
    "settle" with where I am and what I've got.

Now 6lbs down from a weight that I couldn't budge for 4 months, I know I don't HAVE to
    settle.

And yeah, it could backfire, I could blow up like a blimp and become 400lbs over night, but
    hell, even just the energy I have from these damn potatoes would be worth it! Ha!

Also, if you use cronometer, you can SEE what vitamins and minerals you're getting, and I can
    truthfully tell you that I've been meeting about 92% of the RDA for BOTH (if you believe in
    the RDA, and if not, it's still fun to see levels) vitamins and minerals, on 1200 to 1500 cals
    a day. That is freaking uncanny.

You know what else is weird..... October is my birthday month and I always get my standard 2lb
    box of chocolates from my husband. I ate these puppies with wild abandon in SIX DAYS, after
    each dinner, and I STILL lost weight.

W.T.F.

They're gone now, thank God....

Welp, my jeans and I are off to go for a walk. I just can't sit a minute longer.

Julie
    Last edited by InSearchOfAbs; 10-19-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: two weeks ago for the pants, TWO, not one

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Hey, that's pretty interesting. Perhaps I can try your potatoes-only during the day and regular dinner at night and do that for a week. Because I'll probably never get a chance to do a full on potato-only thing, plus I'm not sure I like the idea of not having real food every day for so long a time. That just seems to me to be too unhealthy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Now 6lbs down from a weight that I couldn't budge for 4 months, I know I don't HAVE to
    settle.
    And yeah, it could backfire, I could blow up like a blimp and become 400lbs over night, but
    hell, even just the energy I have from these damn potatoes would be worth it! Ha!
    Also, if you use cronometer, you can SEE what vitamins and minerals you're getting, and I can
    truthfully tell you that I've been meeting about 92% of the RDA for BOTH (if you believe in
    the RDA, and if not, it's still fun to see levels) vitamins and minerals, on 1200 to 1500 cals
    Julie
    I'm really glad you posted this. It kind of ties into something I was toying with this week.

My fasting blood glucose (FBG) has always been a little on the high side, like 100-110. Usually 120 is considered pre-diabetic, but ideal is like 70's.

The other day I bought a glucose tester and some test strips. I tested my FBG and it was 110 at 6am. I tested it every hour with these results until 11am: 110, 100, 100, 95, 90. So it went down all morning, then I ate 1 big baked potato and tested every 30 minutes for 3 hours and got: 116, 158, 140, 120, 80, 60, 80, 80. I tested every hour til supper and it stayed right at 80.

Today, I tested all morning and it was right at 100 up til lunch. I ate about 1/2 pound of fish and oysters and checked blood sugar every 30 minutes: 100, 90, 90, 95, 97, 95, 97.

So the massive starch load spiked my blood sugar immensely and the protein/fat only lunch didn't spike it at all. One of the tenets of low-carb living is that it doesn't spike your blood sugar, which is good for fat-loss. However, spiking it wildly twice a day for 2 weeks resulted in huge weight loss.

Maybe we need the insulin surge to kick us into fat-loss mode after being low-carb so long.

Just my observation, but maybe a pure starch hit every day is a good thing.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    So I've been having about 500cals of potatoes a day, then a normal dinner equaling about 1200 cals
    all together.

Let me tell you how just eating paleo, how HUNGRY I would be on 1200 cals. Could NEVER DO IT.

That is what PHD dude is saying also. Eat about 1lb of starch like tators.

Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet

Starches are better for weight loss than sugars, so they’re the best source of carbs.

In our new book we argue in more detail why eating a modest amount of starches (20-30% of calories) is usually optimal for weight loss. Lowering carbs from the SAD level of 50% to 30% helps weight loss, but lowering them further has little effect or harms weight loss in most people. There are a few people who have gut infections or some other problem that makes even 30% carbs problematic, but for most, providing our body with the glucose it needs reduces stress and appetite and makes it easier to lose weight.
    I tried the moar fat also, and it was not working well for me. So my first 2 or 3 days of eating tators, was adding tators back in and less fat, before I went full on tators. I lost about 3lbs in just those few days.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    And just to make things easier as far as the white varieties of potatoes go, they're jusssssst about

Red potatoes have slightly less, coming in at .89 of a calorie per gram, skin included, COOKED.

As far as the delineation goes, at MY store, the potato with orange innards are "garnet yams" and the

So that's what *I* am talking about when I say yams and sweet potatoes, but other people have

All I can say is that I've been doing this since Monday the 8th, and not as a fat blasting kinda thing the way
    Otzi describes it, but as a satiating mechanism during the day so I don't eat like a freaking horse.

So I've been eating potatoes when I get hungry during the day, and then usually some sorta meat
    for dinner and veggies.

The potato part is very entertaining because while they're tasty good, there is no way in HELL that I would
    dig into "another one" because they taste so good. I just can't do it. Would probably vomit - but I can eat
    a pound of bacon in one sitting and still want more an hour later because it calls to me. Potatoes do NOT, but
    I *do* love them.

all together.

And, the best part is that I am wearing jeans that used to CUT ME IN HALF two weeks ago, and today
    I'm wearing them... Have been ALL DAY. And even after eating 450g of yam (which is bloating as all
    get out) I am STILL wearing them and they are STILL not cutting me in half. Which, I totally can't believe
    because usually after the first bite of anything, I'm like "yeah, um, where are my softy jammie pants?"

The whole thing is pretty unbelievable to me since I just did the "more fat" protocol for a month and

This was surprising to me considering zero/very low carb used to be my "go to" cocaine. I could always count
    on ZC/VLC to get me back to where I was or lower since 1996. In 2009 something "broke" and it just wouldn't work
    for me. Even in a deficit..... though I kept trying because I just couldn't believe that it wasn't working anymore.

Eating all these carbs is like a fat nazi eating piles of fat. I became accustomed to NEVER eating carbs so

So I'm glad Otzi's post came out when it did, because I almost relegated myself to just

settle.

You know what else is weird..... October is my birthday month and I always get my standard 2lb
    box of chocolates from my husband. I ate these puppies with wild abandon in SIX DAYS, after

W.T.F.

Welp, my jeans and I are off to go for a walk. I just can't sit a minute longer.

Julie
    How many calories do you usually consume a day (ie how much of a deficit are you in right now?)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I was reading Mike Eades's blog today (he actually had some stuff I hadn't read yet.)
    Dr. Donaldson was having trouble getting his overweight patients in his practice in New York to drop the pounds. He had heard of Stefansson’s experiment in which he and another explored went a year under supervision at Bellevue Hospital on a meat-only diet and emerged from the experience lighter and in better health. Donaldson invited Stefansson to dinner and picked his brain. As a result, Donaldson began treating his own obese patients on basically an all-meat diet. (His actual diet was a half pound of meat, one small boiled potato, and a half cup of black coffee or tea at each meal – and nothing else throughout the day.) He had such success that he began treating just about every health problem presenting to his clinic with his almost all-meat diet. Unlike with Dismantling a Myth, you can find copies of Donaldson’s Strong Medicine pretty easily. It makes an interesting read. But beware. It will show you how much times have changed since 1961. By today’s standards, it is sexist and racist to the max.
    Perhaps another potatoey option to try for those who are concerned by the lack of real protein? I admit I'm a little concerned by it myself. I feel like I've already done all the years of low or no-protein dieting anybody should ever do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    This thread is blowing my mind... I just started PB like 3 weeks ago hoping to just take off 10 lbs, or even stay where I'm at and lean out. You think it's too early for me to try something like this?
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member

for dinner and veggies.

I *do* love them.

all together.

settle.

W.T.F.

Julie
    Awesome post. You may have just convinced me to give this a try!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hey, that's pretty interesting. Perhaps I can try your potatoes-only during the day and regular dinner at night and do that for a week. Because I'll probably never get a chance to do a full on potato-only thing, plus I'm not sure I like the idea of not having real food every day for so long a time. That just seems to me to be too unhealthy.
    Yeah, definitely try it.

I had my yam 3+ hrs ago and I *still* feel like I just ate it.

Even went fishing with the boy for 2hrs in the sun (just got back) and my jeans
    STILL aren't killing me. I swear, two weeks ago I wouldn't even look at them. I just
    bought them at the thrift store and washed them in hot water, so they shoulda been
    even MORE annoying, but still not!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'm really glad you posted this. It kind of ties into something I was toying with this week.

My fasting blood glucose (FBG) has always been a little on the high side, like 100-110. Usually 120 is considered pre-diabetic, but ideal is like 70's.

The other day I bought a glucose tester and some test strips. I tested my FBG and it was 110 at 6am. I tested it every hour with these results until 11am: 110, 100, 100, 95, 90. So it went down all morning, then I ate 1 big baked potato and tested every 30 minutes for 3 hours and got: 116, 158, 140, 120, 80, 60, 80, 80. I tested every hour til supper and it stayed right at 80.

Today, I tested all morning and it was right at 100 up til lunch. I ate about 1/2 pound of fish and oysters and checked blood sugar every 30 minutes: 100, 90, 90, 95, 97, 95, 97.

So the massive starch load spiked my blood sugar immensely and the protein/fat only lunch didn't spike it at all. One of the tenets of low-carb living is that it doesn't spike your blood sugar, which is good for fat-loss. However, spiking it wildly twice a day for 2 weeks resulted in huge weight loss.

Maybe we need the insulin surge to kick us into fat-loss mode after being low-carb so long.

Just my observation, but maybe a pure starch hit every day is a good thing.
    I wish I had strips for my glucose meter! They're so dang expensive. Can't get any right now, maybe
    when my husband gets his new job I can sneak some...

But yeah, your findings are very interesting.

VLC used to be really good to me. Started weight training and vlc-ing in 2007 (oh, and I quit
    alcohol too, habit was getting to be one bottle of wine a night, not good) and I went from
    145lbs to 113 faiiiiirly quickly.

Husband lost his job, in what, 2009, for 9 months, and during that time we wallowed in our
    self pity and I drank and ate my way back up to 140ish.

VLC to the rescue again, but it stopped working around 119lbs and then no matter what I did
    or HOW low of calories I did, I just kept gaining, slowly.

Then a few more bouts of the "f*ckitalls" in the next couple of years brought me back to 130,
    and more tries at low carb for months, still not working and then the recent addition of feeling
    like shit and no energy, whereas before, I was hyper as hell and could NOT STOP GOING.

Stuck at 130 forever, all my small clothes laughing at me from the bottom of the drawers, I stopped
    weight training at the beginning of summer because I completely lost my mojo.

Enter potatoes as a last ditch effort (without being a total pig about it) and now I'm down to 124?

Kicked up exercise to about 5miles a day, walking, but not all at once. Kids to school back and forth 4 times
    (well, me back and forth, as I have to dump 'em off and leave 'em) and then maybe a dedicated 1hr walk
    around 10AM.

Totally ALMOST went to the gym today because my weight lifting mojo is back, but forgot that the kids had
    the day off today. HA! FAIL! But I'm SO GOING ON MONDAY and going to tear the place to shreds. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    That is what PHD dude is saying also. Eat about 1lb of starch like tators.

Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet

I tried the moar fat also, and it was not working well for me. So my first 2 or 3 days of eating tators, was adding tators back in and less fat, before I went full on tators. I lost about 3lbs in just those few days.
    Ooh, thanks for the link.

And yeah, I think my old ass body is just DONE with VLC. It sees it coming and it just shuts down now.

Fine with me, as long as SOMETHING is working, I don't care what the hell it is.

Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    How many calories do you usually consume a day (ie how much of a deficit are you in right now?)
    When I'm weight training and doing some limited cardio, like training 3 days a week and walking anywhere from 2-5 miles
    a day the other days, my maintenance cals are right around 1800.

Just walking like I am now, I'm sure it's way lower.

So lately I've been eating anywhere from 1100 cals one day, to 1600 the next, or maybe there will
    be two days of 1100 cals and then a 1600 day. I guess I'm probably averaging around 1300 - 1400.

But those 6 days of the See's Candies? Holy frankenf*ck, probably 2000 cals a day.

That's why I'm so surprised I didn't GAIN anything.

Sure, I bloated up like a stuck pig, but no weight gain.

Whatevs!

What else I've noticed with the potato thing, is that if they're hotter than hell, you can't
    hoark them as fast, and if you eat them whilst you drink something fizzy, you're going to
    get satiated all the faster.

Today I cut my HUGE yam into wedges, or canoes were more like it, and then baked them
    at 410 for, what seemed like forever.

I was so starving by the time they came out I could barely wait. So I'd gnaw on one, blow
    on it, and then continue eating it.

By the time I got halfway through I was like "meh, these taste great, but I can't stomach
    another bite" so I had to give it a rest for an hour, then I finished them.

All with a diet root beer... delicious.

My husband just came in and asked what I wanted for dinner.... egads.. maybe air soup
    and wind pie? Seriously still freaking full. Blargh!

Page 48 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast