Page 47 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 47

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Great job! I know for a fact this works extremely well for people eating the SAD. Not sure about vegans, but I can't see why it wouldn't. The only people I wouldn't recommend it to would be people with diabetes, but they would know better anyway.
    Thanks, I plan to reserve the information until I'm asked. Son-in-law and daughter seem to be calming down, maybe they see that it's 3 days down and Mom's still alive and even getting to work every day. I want to point out that this "temporary exercise" has cut way down on my personal grocery bill.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    How could an all-potato diet be satiating?! How many pounds of potatoes are you people eating a day? 2-3? Haha this sounds so ridiculous. 3 small potatoes already weigh about a pound, which is like a side dish. ;-)
    I ate 4 or 5 potatoes on Wednesday. That seemed like enough.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Are these giant potatoes? Like baked potatoes?! For instance, with me, there's no way I could be at a calorie deficit while eating to satiety from potatoes. That means 8-9 small potatoes a day. I'd love to fit back into my jeans ASAP but I don't see how this could work...

Beachspirit is offline Junior Member
    I ate 3 potatoes, dry fried for lunch and I'm stuffed. They weighed 13.125 oz raw and 10.5 oz cooked.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Are these giant potatoes? Like baked potatoes?! For instance, with me, there's no way I could be at a calorie deficit while eating to satiety from potatoes. That means 8-9 small potatoes a day. I'd love to fit back into my jeans ASAP but I don't see how this could work...
    Three of them were pretty big. The other one was medium-sized. I forget what the weight was. If you just go by the calorie totals on about.com for "large" and "medium" potatoes it was somewhere in the vicinity of 1100 calories. Considering I normally eat much more than that, this is pretty good.

Thursday I ate 3 medium-sized potatoes before dinner. I had a regular dinner. I was pretty hungry on those 3 potatoes. I'm not sure how well this whole thing would keep me satisfied if I did it day after day. It doesn't really work at all for just a day and a half. But I had those potatoes leftover from my first time doing it for a day and a half so I figured I would do it again for kicks.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachspirit View Post
    I ate 3 potatoes, dry fried for lunch and I'm stuffed. They weighed 13.125 oz raw and 10.5 oz cooked.
    Were they pre-cooked, sliced, shredded/grated etc.? I have good non-stick pans, Calphalon. I used frozen hashbrowns, the little cubes, seemed to stick. I think I might have had the flame too high.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 10-19-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am going to eat 3 kg (about 6 lbs) of potatoes tomorrow, and will be thinking of all of you! I too can't imagine being full on a lb of potatoes a day!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    I eat about 1200-1500 calories of regular primal food a day..... So isn't the whole point to eat in a calorie deficit? Very easy to achieve eating meat and fat and a bit of sweet potato. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Were they pre-cooked, sliced, shredded/grated etc.? I have good non-stick pans, Calphalon. I used frozen hashbrowns, the little cubes, seemed to stick. I think I might have had the flame too high.
    They were raw, very thinly sliced liked potatoe chips done on the grater. I thought my pans were non-stick but they still stick a little. I made sure it was hot before I put the tatars in. Trying to follow Otzi's suggestions. I was thinking of trying to make cripsy potatoes chips out of them in the oven by broiling. I don't know if it would work or not.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat about 1200-1500 calories of regular primal food a day..... So isn't the whole point to eat in a calorie deficit? Very easy to achieve eating meat and fat and a bit of sweet potato. ;-)
    Using Fitday, I calculated 985 cals for me yesterday for 5 medium potatoes. This is what Otzi posted in the beginning of this thread. "This works in exactly the same way ketogenic diets work. Your body can only use two things for fuel: Fat and Carbs. In ketogenic diets, you are completely carb-starved, so you burn body fat. In the potato diet, you are completely fat-starved, so you burn body fat. Your body doesn't burn protein for energy per se, it uses the amino acids contained in the protein as building blocks for life-processes and rebuilding muscle etc... Potatoes and rice have all the amino acids you need for life.

the reason this works better than normal calorie restriction with a diet of protein-fat-carbs is that your body will process the simple starch first, then look for other fuel and find only body fat. The simple starch is processed very fast in the gut and not the liver like sugar, protein and some fats. If you have blood sugar issues, this will actually help you. If anyone has a blood glucose meter, do some testing while eating potatoes, my FBG dropped from 100 to 90 and stayed there. After several months of paleo, it crept back up to 103 it is now 90.

Another reason this works, is that the micro flora in your gut responds very well to simple starch. It responds very well to the easily digested potato and it's signaling is vastly improved. I start getting gassy about day 3 and it goes away by about day 6. If you peel the potatoes this won't happen as badly, this happens because there are undigestable enzymes in the peelings that are dealt with in the large intestine in a gas-producing way."

Page 47 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast