Page 42 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 42

Big Bobcat is offline Junior Member
    Otzi,
    Thanks.
    But I probably wasn't clear. I meant to ask what you ate on a regular basis when you are not doing the potato fast.
    Sorry.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    still had that small spare tire. Now at 155, it's just a little loose skin there. I've lost just a little over 1" off waist in last 2 weeks.
    I was just reading this morning, that one reason why the body holds on to the last stubborn fat, is because it knows how toxic it is. I don't remember all the techie science-y jargon. That is just the jest of it
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Excuse me, you said you were 5'10" right ?
    If that's the case, 155 lbs seems kinda light for someone without... well... a little bit of visibility in the abs area...

I'm sorry if it sounds mean, I don't mean to be.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bobcat View Post
    Otzi,
    Thanks.
    But I probably wasn't clear. I meant to ask what you ate on a regular basis when you are not doing the potato fast.
    Sorry.
    I don't count calories, but would guess I eat around 2500-3000/day normally. I usually have a big-ass salad for lunch with either canned sardines or oysters or a piece of lean meat of some kind. Supper is usually more fatty like steak or chicken with cheese and lots of veggies and fruit. I usually only eat breakfast on weekends, eggs and bacon mostly. I'd like to say I eat under 100g carbs normally, but maybe more in summer when watermelon is in season.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Excuse me, you said you were 5'10" right ?
    If that's the case, 155 lbs seems kinda light for someone without... well... a little bit of visibility in the abs area...

I'm sorry if it sounds mean, I don't mean to be.
    155 is the lightest I've been since I was in my 20's (I'm 47 now), and I'm definitely more muscular now than I was then. My BMI is 22, which is smack dab in the middle of normal weight.
    Last edited by otzi; 10-17-2012 at 12:31 PM.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    I'm a potato farmer and had given up potatoes for Primal Blueprint life. Haven't touched a potato in about 2 years or more, was seriously considering growing something else, even though potatoes have been in my family for generations. I will definitely start eating potatoes again after this and think my sales will go up as people are seeing my success. The problem was, for me, eating potatoes meant butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, yougurt, or margarine. I don't think I ever ate a plain potato in my whole life! When 2 weeks is up, I will start eating potatoes as a stand-alone meal or snack. Those dry-fried hash browns are the best thing I've ever had! Just small potatoes, boiled and with a little salt are awesome.

Today is Day 12 for me. Only potatoes. I wish I would have weighed them before I started, because I lost track thinking this was going to be a big bust. On the morning of Day 12, I'm down 10 pounds! I feel great. I have been eating roughly 3-4lbs a day, I guess I'm kind of a big guy anyway, but that's way less calories than I normally eat and I feel stuffed all the time. The weight loss has been perfectly linear only had a few days with no scale change, but that could be the scale's fault.

In order of preference: Hashbrowns, sliced paper thin and dry fried, boiled (whole), cubed and dry fried, boiled a little then sliced and fried, boiled (mashed), baked without tinfoil, baked in tinfoil, and oven-baked wedges.

For a super-awesome snack, I make this for everyone that comes over now: Shred some potatoes as you were going to make hashbrowns, put just a thin layer in a really hot non-stick pan (or well-seasoned cast iron pan), and fry really fast, flip once and crisp the other side. Just takes a few minutes. Serve really salty and with vinegar.

I'm seriously thinking about writing a book.
    Hello Team Tater!

Long time lurker--first time poster.

I live in Oregon and grow several acres of potatoes. After I found Mark's Daily Apple and read Primal Blueprint almost 3 years ago, I pretty much gave up on eating potatoes and just sell them. I'm a 6', 40 year old guy who went from 260 to 180 on Primal diet, have kept up the 'no processed foods, sugars, or oils' for about 3 years, but find myself creeping up a bit. I was 210 a couple weeks ago and saw the post on "Losing 3-4lbs". http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66669-3.html Funny, because I rarely look at the forum, just the blog when i get an email from Mark Sisson.

Anyway, as we were in the process of digging up potatoes, I thought "what the hell". So starting on October 1st, I just have been eating potatoes. I have been eating about 3lbs a day. Mostly russett type, baked, and mashed up with onion powder, chili powder, vinegar (great tip!), and other spices. I sometimes munch a cold baked potato and have gotten good at frying them without oil.

So, this is Day 9. My weight went like this: 210, 210, 208, 207, 205, 205, 204, 203. My scale isn't the best, but I have not seen my weight go DOWN in over a year--and I have tried! Not real hard, but with the usual things people try I guess.

Anyway, another 5 days to go. I will let you know when it's over, I can't get on here every day like a lot of you seem to do. Really busy right now. Thanks, Otzi, for the tip. I plan on using this from time to time.

For the record--I ate only potatoes. No oil, rice, onions, tuna, it was kind of an honor thing for me since I'm known as the "potato guy" around here. I'm telling everybody that buys my potatoes about this and maybe some will come on here and tell you their story.

Thanks again.
    Those were my first two posts on this so you would remember who I was. I finished 14 days of Otzi's Potato Diet (tm) on Sunday. I lost a total of 12lbs while eating only potatoes. I've spent the last 3 days eating my regular primal diet and did not regain any, but my weight is once again bouncing around 3-4 pounds like it has done for that last couple years. When I was just eating potatoes, my weight was extremely stable.

Anyway, I'm under 200lbs again and my plan is to eat normally for a month or so, then re-do this diet to get down to about 190 and see if I can use it from time-to-time to stay under 200 indefinitely. I am so stoked and I have my family and friends who are overweight all doing this also. Most take right off on it, but some of them have told me they couldn't stand eating just potatoes for so long--I'll have to work on them a little.

Tatertot Out!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I finished 14 days of Otzi's Potato Diet (tm) on Sunday. I lost a total of 12lbs while eating only potatoes.
    That is fantastic!!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Ok, thing at the bottom of some or your posts ie

Starting weight; llll

BF;;;;;;

How do you put that up? I'm sure you don't do it everytime you post.

Be gentle! I'm an old fart!

Another thing, please enlighten me. Trying to "learn" about this weight loss thing in general.

It takes 3500 calories roughly to make up a lb. I went on a site that says I need 2000 calories/day, I guess to stay the same? If that's true, how are some of you losing over a one pound per day eating Potatoes? I understand there is a calorie deficit, but it does not work out mathematically.

I've read Tim Ferris's 4 hour body, tried some of it, trying some of this now. Will do potato, but doesn't make sense to lose that much.

Thanks
    Last edited by ez2cy; 10-17-2012 at 02:08 PM.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I am sooooo interested to try this! But I'm nursing and a little concerned about blasting that much fat in a short time. Gah, it's frustrating because I love a good fast...
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    It takes 3500 calories roughly to make up a lb. I went on a site that says I need 2000 calories/day, I guess to stay the same? If that's true, how are some of you losing over a one pound per day eating Potatoes? I understand there is a calorie deficit, but it does not work out mathematically.
    Yeah, that's a good catch. Also, it doesn't work out mathematically to me that otzi lost 20 pounds but only one inch off his waist.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    I am sooooo interested to try this! But I'm nursing and a little concerned about blasting that much fat in a short time. Gah, it's frustrating because I love a good fast...
    Oh no cavebabymama don't do it while you're breastfeeding! Wait till baby is weaned. You need all the variety and fat from your normal diet and so does your baby. But something to look forward to when you're finished!

BTW, have you read the book 'Cave Baby'? It's a picture book, my kids love it. Maybe when your baby is older...

Page 42 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast