Page 38 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 38

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Does everybody who does carb refeeds do low carb? Or don't they just do more carbs after a workout than normal? I mean, Chaco does carb refeeds but I don't think he's particularly low carb on a normal basis. That's what I was wondering. Why can you expect a carb refeed to add glycogen weight after one day but people here doing this potato fast thing are noticing weight loss on day 1. Is everybody here doing the potato fast coming from a higher carb version of primal?
    I'm normally around 50g of carbs. If I do refeeds with carbs around 200-300g, protein at 100g, and fat under 50g, I will gain 5-7lbs overnight. With just potatoes, around 300g carbs, I lose right away. When I did carb refeeds, there was little to no calorie restriction, possibly was even eating more.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I would rather just use intermittent fasting to drop the fat. It is really effective and if you are in fat burn mode then fasting is really easy. I couldn't eat that much potato without butter and lots of salt.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Here are some tips to make it more bearable. Have some carrots or bell peppers on hand, if you run out of potatoes and just have to munch something, munch some of those. Only in emergency! Also helps to cook up some rice for the day you want to quit, but know you shouldn't. Eat some rice for a change, but it's easier to overeat rice than potatoes. Also, bake up 6 or 8 potatoes at a time, use these for lunch and breakfasts. Boil some potatoes for about 15 minutes, then let cool. Slice these to fry, the cook up quicker. Fry with no oil! Get a good non-stick pan,
    Good luck!
    on it boss. I am strong willed; I won't quit. I can deal with just shredding them and dry frying, add a little hotsauce or vinegar and I'm set.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Here are some tips to make it more bearable. Have some carrots or bell peppers on hand, if you run out of potatoes and just have to munch something, munch some of those. Only in emergency! Also helps to cook up some rice for the day you want to quit, but know you shouldn't. Eat some rice for a change, but it's easier to overeat rice than potatoes. Also, bake up 6 or 8 potatoes at a time, use these for lunch and breakfasts. Boil some potatoes for about 15 minutes, then let cool. Slice these to fry, the cook up quicker. Fry with no oil! Get a good non-stick pan,
    Good luck!
    also, what's the deal with using seasonings and such? I have Tony Chachare's creole seasoning and I put it on basically everything.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Strength / lifting ability is entirely the result of functional motor unit recruitment, or in other words, a neurological adaptation. It is impossible for one to recruit all functional motor units at once. At best you can get a fraction, and this is a good thing because it prevents your muscles from snapping your bones, tearing tendons out of the origin / insertions, as well as giving you stand-by motor units to recruit as the principal ones fatigue. So, if your lifts / strength are unaffected, all that shows it that you haven't suffered in the functional motor unit recruitment department.
    This doesn't seem quite right. If you lose muscle mass, you will have fewer or smaller motor units, meaning your total force-production capacity will decrease. If you then fire the same percentage of available units to move a weight, your strength will be lower than if you had more muscle.

If muscle mass had nothing to do with strength, then the strongest people (in absolute terms) would not necessarily also be big. But the "world's strongest man" and other such competitions are full of huge guys with absolutely massive musculature and are never won by small people. Same is true for all the strength records for various lifts AFAIK. Strength is clearly a function of muscle size, type and neurological adaptation, with the neuro element determining what proportion of your available pool of force-production potential you can use, but if you're drawing on a bigger pool in the first place, stands to reason you'll be stronger, all else equal, no?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that a lot of those really super strong people are big because it's a lot easier to focus on eating lots to build big muscles than it is to try to build big muscles without getting fat at the same time because if your goal is simply strength and you don't care about appearance, you don't want to sabotage your goal with any kind of calorie restriction.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have heard that a lot of those really super strong people are big because it's a lot easier to focus on eating lots to build big muscles than it is to try to build big muscles without getting fat at the same time because if your goal is simply strength and you don't care about appearance, you don't want to sabotage your goal with any kind of calorie restriction.
    Oh yeah, way easier to get huge muscles and get a little fat than to get huge muscles and be ripped/lean. I could get ridiculously strong very fast, being an easy gainer, if I just ate a couple thousand calories of ice cream on top of my normal diet and lifted 4x a week. But I would get quite fat too--and I have enough trouble getting and staying lean as it is, so I don't.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bdilla View Post
    also, what's the deal with using seasonings and such? I have Tony Chachare's creole seasoning and I put it on basically everything.
    Seasonings are fine. I use Lawry's Seasoned Salt w/no MSG. Can't wait to see your results, I predict you will do very good, you seem to have good control of your food intake.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Just started the potato feast yesterday. This is how it has gone so far.

My temps before the feast have been consistently staying around 97.8 to 98.2 upon rising. I eat one meal per day at about 1200 to 1400 calories normally (since July). I have not lost any weight for about 4 weeks now. I typically fluctuate between 130 lbs and 133 lbs.

*Sunday before feast - 132.2 9:00 am/ temp 97.9 (Did Bikram yoga for the first time in over a year so I believe I have some serious swelling)
    *Monday 1st day of potato feast - 135 lbs 6:00 am/ temp 97.7 (walked slowly for about 30-45 minutes)
    *Tuesday 2nd day of potato feast - 134.4 lbs 6:00 am/ temp 98.0 (I am really swollen and sore from Bikram still but going to go again tonight)
    I have to say I felt fine other than the sore joints and muscles from yoga. I was not loving the potatos though. It was REALLY hard for me to choke them down.
    I dry fried about 1 lb of skinned russets and put salt and a little hot sauce on them. They were mildly enjoyable for about the first half of the plate then I felt really naseous and found myself making the face my kids make when they are forced to eat peas:P While I was eating the fried potatos I boiled 1.5 lbs of small white ones. Then added mustard, salt, and pepper. It kind of reminded me of a potato salad. I struggled to eat about half of them and decided to save the rest for later. I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat any more potatos but was still only at about 600 calories for the day. So I ate half of a banana (I know too much fructose) and about 10 macadamia nuts (I know too much fat but I was worried I was too low in calories). I also couldn't give up the half n half in my coffee. So I probably had about 3-4 tblsp of half and half. After entering all of my calories into paleo tracker I only was able to hit about 900 calories. Too low for my comfort level but I was done eating and couldn't even think about putting another potato near my mouth. I really want to try the potato feast for at least 3 to 5 days but am finding that since I am not a huge fan of them in the first place it may become increasingly more difficult. I will see how today and tomorrow goes at the very least. I may try to give up on the half and half tomorrow if I still am not losing. Hope everyone else is doing well
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Big Bobcat is offline Junior Member
    Hello All,
    I have been doing this since last Thursday (5 days now). Loved the potatoes at first, now I'm having a hard time stomaching them. I'm just craving some steak or eggs or cheese. But I haven't indulged yet.
    I've been working out with my normal routines. Twice a week lifting, once a week sprinting on the bike, walking every other day. I just stepped on the scale today, and I have not lost any weight. I feel leaner, and my clothes feel a little looser, but no measurable weight loss yet. My clothes could fit better because I'm eating less and this my stomach has shrunk. But I don't know.
    Any ideas? Or tips? I hope to continue to Saturday for a total of 10 days.
    Thanks in advance.

Page 38 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast