Page 36 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 36

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I must be a weirdo because I have never thought to myself "too bad it's too hot to eat [insert delicious thing]" : )

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielfire View Post
    It is a pity it is so hot down here, potato soup sounds like a delicious option
    There's always vichyssoise...aka cold potato soup.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    This sounds similar to the brown rice fast that is recommended by some Eastern philosophies.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It's fairly warm here (in the 80s F) also, but I'm thinking since this soup won't have any fat, I can eat it hot or cold. I like the idea of soup because the extra fluid will be filling.

I have to do an Amazon order before I can get started because I'll be danged if I'll pay WF prices for the broth I want.
    I'm confused. Potatoes are the one and only food we're supposed to eat, except for salt, pepper and spices to jazz up the taste. I've noticed some are adding beef broth and a few other things. I'm planning on starting tomorrow and I want to be sure I'm giving the feast/fast every opportunity to work. Is it only no fat and any foods that contain fat the rule? What about chopped onions and garlic and fat free foods like that?
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 10-15-2012 at 08:31 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think the tweeks (tweaks?) will make it interesting. I've decided to make my own veggie broth instead of buying it. While "straight up potatoes" is probably more effective than any tweeks, I'm guessing this will still work as long as no fat or protein are added. This is why things like cabbage soup, leek soup, and grapefruits have been used to crash off weight. Here, Otzi proposes potatoes because it has a decent nutritional profile. I wouldn't use any bone broth I have because there would by definition be too much protein and/or fat.

Anyway, I still have to go to the grocery store. I haven't a potato in the house and usually buy one medium russet when I'm in the mood. I couldn't even guess the last time I bought quantity.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think you are supposed to do just potatoes and nothing else. Not just a no-fat diet of whatever. Not add lots of stuff for flavoring. Just potatoes, maybe a little salt and pepper or some other simple, no-sugar, no-fat condiments. I know otzi posted a thread with links to the science on how it works physiologically, but I would think also that it would also help you on the food reward side of things to eat such low reward food for a while.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I wouldn't use any bone broth I have because there would by definition be too much protein and/or fat.
    I bought some beef broth yesterday, it has no fat or carbs but it does have 3g of protein per cup. I haven't opened it yet, if there's a broth that's even more suitable, I'll just save this for family cooking and buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I have found the best results with a strict potato-only diet. I'd recommend you try that first, for at least 5 days before adding anything. I use only spices and sometimes a LITTLE ketchup, like one tsp for a whole potato. Vinegar, salt, pepper, tabasco, all are fine.

If you are seeing great results at 5 days, add some stuff in like onion, bell pepper, or broth. My experience is weight loss will slow.

Here are my numbers since starting this on 6 Oct.

47/m/5'11 approx 15%bf
    Started 6 Oct @ 162lbs
    7 Oct - 161
    8 Oct - 160
    9 Oct - 160
    10 Oct - 159
    11 Oct - 159
    12 Oct - 157
    13 Oct - 156
    14 Oct - 156
    15 Oct - 156
    Note: Oct 6 - 12, nothing but potatoes. Oct 13 and 14, I also had bone broth, rice, and carrots.

Plan on going til 19 Oct, rest of time potato only.
    Thanks for clarifying. Obviously, salt, pepper, spices, vinegar and very little ketchup is the way to go. The pattern of your weight loss demonstrates that. I not sure what a 5'4" woman ought to end up weighing but the insurance chart says between 120 and 125. I have around 20 lbs to lose and I'm stuck at 141.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I would rather do Lyle's RFL (PSMF) before doing this. Much less restrictive... any single food diet is kind of torture for more than 5 days... Lyle's approach was doable for 11.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

I asked this question earlier in the thread but before I begin tomorrow I'd like to hear if there are any other thoughts. Besides about 8000 IU of Vitamin D3, capsules in soybean oil, I take 1Tbl of beef gelatin granules mixed in water, twice a day. The gelatin has some protein in it, I forget how much. Will that interfere with success?

Page 36 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast