Page 34 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 34

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    What about frozen hash brown/shredded potatoes? That would make things a lot easier.
    That's what I just had for breakfast! The ones I got came in a 1lbs 14oz package. Just right for 2 servings.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Stayed tuned next week for another exciting episode of How the Spud Turns.

The Spuds and the Restless.

Days of our Spuds

The Spuds and the Beautiful

haha
    Hmmph... You forgot:

All My Spuds
    One Spud to Live (alternate title: One Life to Spud)
    General Spud

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm watching this thread and really find it interesting. Otzi, you are being a terrific coach and a great source of info.

My initial thought when I first saw it was - huh? What's this doing here? But now I can see the merit to it.

Calorie restriction. 10 days is nothing in the scheme of things. Even if we ignore the feast/famine lifestyle of Grok, there are some modern reasons why we might just naturally decrease our calorie intake: grief, deadlines, finals, other stressors. And, one of the videos on fasting (the one where the British man does 5:2 fasting) had a 101 year old man finishing a marathon, and he'd been "eating like a child" (his translator's way of explaining small portions and low calorie) all his life.

Just potatoes. I'm guessing (like many in this thread) that doing all carb or all protein or all fat would probably result in weight loss. I used to live on vegetable soup from 5:30 pm Friday night to 9:30 Monday morning almost out of necessity because of a job I had where I worked 40 hours in that timeframe. The veggie soup was from a place across the street - cheap, easy to get, and stood up well to cooling down. I was usually lighter on Monday morning. (No surprise there.)

Otzi, I'm wondering what you think of soup idea? Potatoes, small amount of carrots, onion, and celery. Rather than homemade bone broth, which I have no idea if one doesn't have a calorimeter how to know how much fat is in it, maybe a store bought decent non/low fat (ogodisaidlowfatonMDA) broth? Would this be the same type of thing? Do the onion and celery have too much fiber? The onion and carrot too much sugar? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanx.

As a note, I love mustard on potatoes. Reminds me of the potato knishes we used to buy off the carts.

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    While Mark accepts spuds as primal, they are not really paleo. They are a new world food developed in the Andes and introduced to Europe in the 1500's by explorers. They also contain anti nurients called Solanines (sp?). Not sure how much is in them or how bad it is.
    Potatoes contain resistant starch so don't tend to spike blood sugar like rice does. Likely why potatoes do better on this than rice. BTW Bananas also contain resistant starch so are not the insulin spiking sugar bombs some people think of them as.(still high in fructose though)
    As noted by some previous posters, vinegar blunts the glycemic response and slows the rise of blood sugars. A common diet aid in some places is to have a glass of water before meals with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
    Again as pointed out, if you are sensitive to night shades potatoes might be something you want to avoid.

This may work because of the resistant starch - slows digestion/glycemic load/feel fuller etc, and because of the monotony effect.

No harm in a week or so of this IMHO. I would suspect in days gone by when things got scarce, people ate what was available even if it was only potatoes or whatever. Likely also that given the seasonality of food, that people often didn't get their full quotient of recommended vitamins and minerals each and every day. The body is likely more used to flucuations in nutrients over various times of year. I think taking a holiday from vitamins/minerals every once in a while is good. I may give this a try just for the helluvit. I don't really have any weight to lose but had some digestive issues for a while due to some surgery so maybe this will reset that.

Edit - I should add that the resistance of the potatoe starch seems to be improved by cooking in advance then either eating them cold or reheating later to eat. Not sure why but I note some of you are cooking your stash in the morning then eating during the day - maybe this enhances the results.
    Last edited by twa2w; 10-13-2012 at 12:42 PM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Otzi, I'm wondering what you think of soup idea? Potatoes, small amount of carrots, onion, and celery. Rather than homemade bone broth, which I have no idea if one doesn't have a calorimeter how to know how much fat is in it, maybe a store bought decent non/low fat (ogodisaidlowfatonMDA) broth? Would this be the same type of thing? Do the onion and celery have too much fiber? The onion and carrot too much sugar? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanx.
    I think soup is fine as long as it doesn't have much fat in it. I made a big pot of bone broth last night and cooked 8 potatoes in it just now. I mashed them up with just enough of the broth to make them nice and mushy. Ate one bowl of those for lunch along with a bowl of the bone broth. I think if there were carrots, celery, etc... in the soup it would be fine, too. Let us know how you do! Thanks for the nice comments,

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    What about frozen hash brown/shredded potatoes? That would make things a lot easier.
    What's the purpose of purchasing 'corporate made' hash brown which likely includes a ton of crappy oil etc? Why not get up early on a Sat morning and make your own from scratch? There's a ton of videos on how to make them. Search for Latkes or potato pancakes.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    what oil is everyone using with the taters?
    No oil. Naked potatoes only.
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Do you guys weigh the potatoes pre- or post-cooking, and does it make a difference? Based on raw potatoes, a 1 kg bag has about 770 calories, so if someone has about 1.5 lbs per day, that's only in the 500 calorie ballpark, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Do you guys weigh the potatoes pre- or post-cooking, and does it make a difference? Based on raw potatoes, a 1 kg bag has about 770 calories, so if someone has about 1.5 lbs per day, that's only in the 500 calorie ballpark, right?
    I weigh post cooked.
    F, 48, 5'10"

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    What's the purpose of purchasing 'corporate made' hash brown which likely includes a ton of crappy oil etc? Why not get up early on a Sat morning and make your own from scratch? There's a ton of videos on how to make them. Search for Latkes or potato pancakes.
    I had a big bag of Ore Ida hashbrowns in the freezer, ingredients were: shredded potatoes. I agree, though, much better to make from scratch. Taste better, too. I'll bet you were thinking about those pre-formed hashbrown patties like they sell at McDonald's--those would definitely be out!

Page 34 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast