Page 30 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 30

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I put a little salt and pepper on mine, and mustard sometimes.

The weird thing about that "depression" or whatever it is is that I don't notice when I'm in it. I think everything is normal. But something is slipping away because when it comes back, wow, what a difference.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Yes the first... say hours of it, I don't notice. I just feel less energy than usual and the world and life seem just a bit grey. I don't really want to talk to people or doing anything productive but that's it.
    However as my condition is very unstable, sometimes it's much more "violent" than that and I feel like total... sh*t.
    Melancholy and all
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Can you explain the problem with rice besides the more dense calories. If adding rice seems to satiate, then when you get full you stop just like the potatoes. Is there any other reason to not add rice in? Does the starch/carb difference hinder any?
    By whatever reason potatoes are more satiating than white rice, at least in my personal experience. I matched rice and potatoes calorie for calorie, and I was bloated and stuffed with potatoes, and empty and ravenous with rice. When i did my carb ups that is.

Hi folks, good luck with your experiment. I am still on yogurt/kefir after surgery. Ugh.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Potatoes are full of fiber, I think you would have the same effect with sweet potatoes.
    They take more space calorie for calorie
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Please tell me the variety of ways you're cooking (not eating them raw, I hope) potatoes. Boiling, I know, as well as baking and even shredded as hash browns. We have good, non-stick skillets. Living with my son-in-law and daughter who think I might be overdoing it with Primal, this is going to really draw and attention, not to mention comments. I've noticed some people add beef/bone broth or even mustard. Does this mean there are other things besided spices and herbs we can use to add? I don't want to do anything to mess this up. I'm within 20 lbs of my goal and I've been hanging around 141 for several weeks.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    I'm always intrigued when reading about the self-experiments shared by posters, so I'm enjoying following this thread.

The weight loss numbers so far are pretty impressive, but I'm wondering how you Tater Crusaders are feeling overall - as far as sleep, energy, digestion, etc. I'm especially curious how those of you who'd been taking the ketosis route are feeling after such a change in diet.

Is anyone been re-thinking their pre-experiment way of eating?
    I'm a potato farmer and had given up potatoes for Primal Blueprint life. Haven't touched a potato in about 2 years or more, was seriously considering growing something else, even though potatoes have been in my family for generations. I will definitely start eating potatoes again after this and think my sales will go up as people are seeing my success. The problem was, for me, eating potatoes meant butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, yougurt, or margarine. I don't think I ever ate a plain potato in my whole life! When 2 weeks is up, I will start eating potatoes as a stand-alone meal or snack. Those dry-fried hash browns are the best thing I've ever had! Just small potatoes, boiled and with a little salt are awesome.

Today is Day 12 for me. Only potatoes. I wish I would have weighed them before I started, because I lost track thinking this was going to be a big bust. On the morning of Day 12, I'm down 10 pounds! I feel great. I have been eating roughly 3-4lbs a day, I guess I'm kind of a big guy anyway, but that's way less calories than I normally eat and I feel stuffed all the time. The weight loss has been perfectly linear only had a few days with no scale change, but that could be the scale's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Please tell me the variety of ways you're cooking (not eating them raw, I hope) potatoes. Boiling, I know, as well as baking and even shredded as hash browns. We have good, non-stick skillets. Living with my son-in-law and daughter who think I might be overdoing it with Primal, this is going to really draw and attention, not to mention comments. I've noticed some people add beef/bone broth or even mustard. Does this mean there are other things besided spices and herbs we can use to add? I don't want to do anything to mess this up. I'm within 20 lbs of my goal and I've been hanging around 141 for several weeks.
    In order of preference: Hashbrowns, sliced paper thin and dry fried, boiled (whole), cubed and dry fried, boiled a little then sliced and fried, boiled (mashed), baked without tinfoil, baked in tinfoil, and oven-baked wedges.

For a super-awesome snack, I make this for everyone that comes over now: Shred some potatoes as you were going to make hashbrowns, put just a thin layer in a really hot non-stick pan (or well-seasoned cast iron pan), and fry really fast, flip once and crisp the other side. Just takes a few minutes. Serve really salty and with vinegar.

I'm seriously thinking about writing a book.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I baked all mine first. In foil in the oven. So they are ready to go for whatever.

I have shredded and dry fry
    I have smashed and added bone broth.
    Today, I shredded, dry fried, & topped with bone broth (my broth is EXTRA thick)
    I have added vinegar
    I have quartered and dipped in small amounts of ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, ketchup&mustard, like a french fry. Sometimes cold out of the frig (remember I baked them all first)
    At some point, I will add onions and green peppers.
    One of my favs, is warm out of the oven. Just eat it.

After this, taters are staying in my diet. It might not be all taters, but I can see making a meal or snack here or there out of just a tater. That is what I use to do, while working out for hours every single day, and I was in the best shape of my life.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

while working out for hours every single day
    It's an important variable and I don't think that you want to do it again.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have a little padded fabric thing that I put the potatoes in. Then I microwave them. Then I either put a little salt and pepper on them or a little mustard. Nothing fancy.

I hope to give this another try someday. They had good healthy food at the weekly breakfast so I ate that instead of potatoes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    It's an important variable and I don't think that you want to do it again.
    No I do not. And that is why I was afraid to eat potatoes like that again, because I knew that I am not the same manic I was back then. That was almost 20 years ago.

On this leg of my journey, I was trying to stay on the high fat/low carb train but it just wasnt getting me very far down the track, but I was hesitant to try what had been working pre-primal in terms of macros (just use primal foods), going against the very fiber of the blueprint, while everyone else seemed to have great results on high fat/low carb. I guess I just thought if I did it long enough, give it more time....things might change. And certainly I was afraid to eat taters again like I did back then because I am not working out like I did back then.

This was all very timely for me, in that I had just decided days earlier that I needed to cut the fat, increase the carbs.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 30 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast