Page 29 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 29

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The temperature thing is handy, ta

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    ...from PubMed

Vinegar dressing and cold storage of potatoes lowers postprandial glycaemic and insulinaemic responses in healthy subjects.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
    To investigate the effects of cold storage and vinegar addition on glycaemic and insulinaemic responses to a potato meal in healthy subjects.

SUBJECTS AND SETTING:
    A total of 13 healthy subjects volunteered for the study, and the tests were performed at Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden. Experimental design and test meals:The study included four meals; freshly boiled potatoes, boiled and cold stored potatoes (8 degrees C, 24 h), boiled and cold stored potatoes (8 degrees C, 24 h) with addition of vinaigrette sauce (8 g olive oil and 28 g white vinegar (6% acetic acid)) and white wheat bread as reference. All meals contained 50 g available carbohydrates and were served as a breakfast in random order after an overnight fast. Capillary blood samples were collected at time intervals during 120 min for analysis of blood glucose and serum insulin. Glycaemic (GI) and insulinaemic indices (II) were calculated from the incremental areas using white bread as reference.

RESULTS:
    Cold storage of boiled potatoes increased resistant starch (RS) content significantly from 3.3 to 5.2% (starch basis). GI and II of cold potatoes added with vinegar (GI/II=96/128) were significantly reduced by 43 and 31%, respectively, compared with GI/II of freshly boiled potatoes (168/185). Furthermore, cold storage per se lowered II with 28% compared with the corresponding value for freshly boiled potatoes.

CONCLUSION:
    Cold storage of boiled potatoes generated appreciable amounts of RS. Cold storage and addition of vinegar reduced acute glycaemia and insulinaemia in healthy subjects after a potato meal. The results show that the high glycaemic and insulinaemic features commonly associated with potato meals can be reduced by use of vinegar dressing and/or by serving cold potato products.

Could be something worth trying, for those having BS/Insulin *issues*...hebs

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I'm always intrigued when reading about the self-experiments shared by posters, so I'm enjoying following this thread.

The weight loss numbers so far are pretty impressive, but I'm wondering how you Tater Crusaders are feeling overall - as far as sleep, energy, digestion, etc. I'm especially curious how those of you who'd been taking the ketosis route are feeling after such a change in diet.

Is anyone been re-thinking their pre-experiment way of eating?
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Ok, so I weighed. 3 days in a row, of exact same. I rarely have two days in a row of the same. Yes I am a daily weigher. So 3 days in a row the same is weird for me.

Now, I have been way more active than I have been in a long time. I have had more energy and felt like doing more, but also I have had more than needed to get done so that may have provided some of my motivation. So I am thinking it might be some water retention and I am hoping that I will see a nice drop when the scale does decide to move.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    I'm always intrigued when reading about the self-experiments shared by posters, so I'm enjoying following this thread.

The weight loss numbers so far are pretty impressive, but I'm wondering how you Tater Crusaders are feeling overall - as far as sleep, energy, digestion, etc. I'm especially curious how those of you who'd been taking the ketosis route are feeling after such a change in diet.

Is anyone been re-thinking their pre-experiment way of eating?
    GoJenGo: I'm on Day 5 of the Potato Project and feeling great. Sleep is excellent, especially if I have my evening walk. I found days 1-3 were a little rough as far as energy levels go and adjusting to eating potatoes which is not a favourite food of mine. However, I like a good project, and have jumped in with both feet. I only eat boiled potatoes or Latkes that were dry fried (no oil/butter). I pour bone broth over my mashed taters and they are really good and I could eat them for the next 10 days.

I will be ceasing my potatoe Project on Day 6 because I have to be out of town at a conference for a week.

It seems to me that Days 1-3 I was out of Ketosis, and then Day 4-5 I'm back into ketosis (as indicated by keto sticks).

I believe this to be a great tool is busting through a weight plateau (as I was experiencing at 150lbs), and additionally adds some 'mental and emotional' fun in trying a new direction. The evidence seems to suggest there is no harm in eating straight potatoes for 7-14 days straight.

I will definitely come back to this strategy in the future as a fun and healthy way to mix things up.

Some on the forum have voiced concern that this is not true Paleo because it's a weight buster versus a '360 healthy lifestyle'. I believe that for many individuals, losing weight = better health. Therefore any tools that aid in the reduction of fat, while generating feelings of wellbeing and happiness are a win/win. Just my two cents worth. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Theo911 is offline Junior Member
    Can anyone put a recommended cap on fat intake as a % while doing this? What worries me is that during the preparation of taters I would add too much butter/oil which I imagine would foil the diet since I'm adding dietary fat which would slow or prevent the body from using bodyfat as energy source.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I felt fine. I wasn't in ketosis before, but I ate below 100g carbs certainly, and probably closer to around 60g. I had energy. I think coffee was affecting me too much.

I broke my fast with normal food last night. I only did this for one full day and one partial day. I don't measure any difference in my size. I didn't weigh myself, only measured my waist.

One thing I can tell you is that it may have been a stressor on me. When I broke my fast I felt like waking up, like color came back into the world, warmth, emotion and I felt human again rather than flat and cardboard. I've had this feeling many times before when I was backpacking for a couple months at a time. I'd come to town after 4 days of backpacking and the first meal of real food would be like waking up, seeing color in the world again. That's how I felt after only one and a half days of eating potatoes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I have exactly the same feeling when I REALLY don't eat enough for some reasons, and had the same feeling when my body slowly and slowly destroyed itself during my hypogonadal times (it became worse and worse of course).
    It's a feeling that is often associated with exagerated calories/nutrition restriction and I interpret it as my body telling me what I'm doing is not alright.
    It's called depression symptomed by the way, not that I think you have a depressed condition at all, but it's temporary depression that even people who suffer from hypoglycemia tend to experience from time to time.
    Same as hypothyroid symptoms and so on and so on.

Again, I'm 19, on TRT, and all my hormonal levels aren't optimal yet, with a delayed puberty that's speeding up big time now that I'm treated, so take what I say with a grain of salt, I know my condition is not "normal".

I'm glad people on this thread don't experience the same thing.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo911 View Post
    Can anyone put a recommended cap on fat intake as a % while doing this? What worries me is that during the preparation of taters I would add too much butter/oil which I imagine would foil the diet since I'm adding dietary fat which would slow or prevent the body from using bodyfat as energy source.
    Otzi seems to be recommending eating NO fats beyond what is contained in the potatoes already. You may be missing the point here if you are adding butter, oil, sour cream to your potatoes.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo911 View Post

Nothing to be added to the potatoes. No butter. No oil. No nothing except a bit of bone broth. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 29 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast