Page 28 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 28

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Ha, ha, good one! It does have the makings of a good fad diet, though. It works, it's repeatable, and it's catchy. The only problem is it's cheap and doesn't require years of follow-on support like WeightWatchers or Atkins. Somebody could get rich if this was marketed right.
    Hmmm....now I'm interested. OK, who here has a six pack that we can put on the cover?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    To anyone spreading fear about "damaging your metabolism" or "going into starvation mode", there is a very inexpensive and simple tool you can use to monitor and avoid this problem. It is called a thermometer. If your metabolism starts dropping, your body temperature will drop.

1. Take your temperature for several days each morning on waking to establish your baseline.

2. Monitor your temperature each day you are potato-feasting.

3. If your temperature drops significantly (like, say, dropping below 97.5 degF/36 degC when your baseline is 98.6 degF/37 degC) and stays depressed for a couple of days, it's time to stop and re-nourish.

"Starvation mode" is not some nebulous spiritual state. It's something that can be easily measured and, being observed, prevented.

But the fact that so many people are reporting losing fat mass even when eating to appetite, with no conscious portion control, suggests to me that it just won't be a problem. There's this funny thing about starving--it makes you freaking hungry.

LOL, that was funny And thanks for the other info. I read to monitor temps, but I didnt make the connect as to why. Handy information to have

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJosh View Post
    And isn't there that classic example of the doctor who put the obese man on a fast for a month or something, taking a multivitamin, and he regained health. Not lost.
    Somewhere in this mess is a link to a man on a fast for over a year. He lost a lot of weight and only gained back a nominal amount compared to how much he lost.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    To anyone spreading fear about "damaging your metabolism" or "going into starvation mode", there is a very inexpensive and simple tool you can use to monitor and avoid this problem. It is called a thermometer. If your metabolism starts dropping, your body temperature will drop.

1. Take your temperature for several days each morning on waking to establish your baseline.

2. Monitor your temperature each day you are potato-feasting.

3. If your temperature drops significantly (like, say, dropping below 97.5 degF/36 degC when your baseline is 98.6 degF/37 degC) and stays depressed for a couple of days, it's time to stop and re-nourish.

"Starvation mode" is not some nebulous spiritual state. It's something that can be easily measured and, being observed, prevented.

But the fact that so many people are reporting losing fat mass even when eating to appetite, with no conscious portion control, suggests to me that it just won't be a problem. There's this funny thing about starving--it makes you freaking hungry.
    Is that why I feel like I could eat forever??

msfish is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Why shouldn't you kiss in a potato field? Potatoes have EYES! We used to tell that joke when I was a little kid. Couldn't resist.

Heading into my 5th day of potatoes, down 3lbs total, feeling great.

As I read through, I seeing a trend of people who are also eating rice not doing too well on this. Looking at calorie info on rice, it does seem to pack more calories in a smaller serving, so maybe just sticking to potatoes is warranted.
    Can you explain the problem with rice besides the more dense calories. If adding rice seems to satiate, then when you get full you stop just like the potatoes. Is there any other reason to not add rice in? Does the starch/carb difference hinder any?

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    Though this may be an interesting thread, why is it on MDA? Pure carbs and white potatoes? Nothing primal here. Primal is more about health, not the latest weight loss gimmick. Or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleofan View Post
    Though this may be an interesting thread, why is it on MDA? Pure carbs and white potatoes? Nothing primal here. Primal is more about health, not the latest weight loss gimmick. Or am I wrong?
    Mark's Blog today may answer some of that

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fall-...#axzz292xlOnxQ
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Actually thought that article kinda says we should be putting on that layer of fat right now and not worrying about it. Not really about a fall time crash diet of just potatoes. OK sorry, I'll try to stop being a party crasher.

And @ paleofan, lots of stuff thats not "Primal" makes for threads on here. Its all good and keeps things interesting.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleofan View Post
    The much maligned potato is hardly a pure carb as we've learned here. It is a primal-approved Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple food, full of protein, fat, and carbs. What's wrong with exploiting it's seasonal use as a fat-busting tool. Mark's latest book, "21 Day Total Transformation" also promises quick fat loss...nobody picks on him!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Actually thought that article kinda says we should be putting on that layer of fat right now and not worrying about it. Not really about a fall time crash diet of just potatoes. OK sorry, I'll try to stop being a party crasher.
    Yal I read that part, but it also assumed Grok would have over ate it because it was available. But it summarized by suggesting it might also stoke the fat burning machine again.

I knew it wasnt saying the exact same thing as our beloved tater thread, but I still enjoyed it

Page 28 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast