Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 26

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    OMG! I can't stand it any longer! I've been following this thread from it's start. I'M IN!!!!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I dont know how much I buy into starvation mode anyways. I was taught that and always believed that, and preached that. But with so much fat reserves, I dont see how my body would think it was starving. If you dont take in the calories, it just takes it from reserves. That is what reserves are for.... IN MY MIND. Nothing science behind that. I am just typing outloud.

Look at the guy that fasted for over a year? Now I am not saying it might not be good or might not cause some sort of metabolic problems for some, but it just seems like in an otherwise healthy body, the body would know to live on it's own fat in times of famine. When the fat is gone, then it works on muscle. Why would it starve itself to death when it has reserves to feed on.

just typing outloud. I know it has been discussed before, and I know that I came to my own conclusions that I don't believe in starvation mode, well not unless you truly are starving, but not so much when just calorie restricted. But I dont know what or where I read that so nothing I can post to support that now. Seems like it had more to do with the number of days of no food and not just restricted food, and I remember thinking to myself I didnt have to worry about that so maybe that is why I dont buy it in the short term of things.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    I happen to be training a number of clients at the moment who, although eating something of a standard diet before I met them, were actually eating around 800 cals a day when I actually got them on the food diary. They didn't lose weight until I upped their calories to a 'sensible' level. By sensible, I mean over 1200 cals per day, and have slowly got them to eat more over time, primal type diet of course.

They were habitual low cal eaters, just thinking that if they eat less they would lose more weight, but it didn't happen. I have one now eating primal between 14-1500 cals per day, and she is losing 2.5-3lbs per week. She has lost 16 lbs since 1st September, and has 4 more stone to lose, but it is working nicely.

I see little point in going really low in the cals, it won't harm you in a couple of weeks of course, and, thinking aloud, it might well bring that feast/famine thing into play, perhaps the body 'needs' it, but never gets it in these days of plenty.
    Last edited by PureFunctionalFitness; 10-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    I happen to be training a number of clients at the moment who, although eating something if a standard diet before I met them, were actually eating around 800 cals a day when I actually got them on the food diary. They didn't lose weight until I upped their calories to a 'sensible' level. By sensible, I mean over 1200 cals per day, and have slowly got them to eat more over time, primal type diet of course.

They were habitual low cal eaters, just thinking that if they eat less they would lose more weight, but it didn't happen. I have one now eating primal between 14-1500 cals per day, and she is losing 2.5-3lbs per week. She has lost 16 lbs since 1st September, and has 4 more stone to lose, but it is working nicely.

I see little point in going really low in the cals, it won't harm you in a couple of weeks of course, and, thinking aloud, it might well bring that feast/famine thing into play, perhaps the body 'needs' it, but never gets it in these days of plenty.
    Yal I can see that.

I seem to do best with around 1400 but with the high fat, I was full on less so getting in no more than 1300. . So in hind sight, I think that is why the lower fat/more carbs worked better for me. I mean sure fat has more calories but I was just too full to eat as much.

But with all the fasting stuff I read, there is just so much good that can come from not digesting food for a short period of time. And I know, that is what we are all talking about here. I just mean for those onlookers worried about starvation mode. I am sure it is real, I mean I know ppl do starve to death, but I dont see it happening for short periods of time.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You and I are responding in almost identical fashion to this. I think you will be most happy when you see that the weight doesn't came back on afterward. Another thing you are about to experience is the reawakening of your taste buds. The first real food you eat will taste like it was straight from heaven.

I remember after my first try at this last year, the first thing I ate was a piece of 100% dark chocolate. I was in disbelief, I couldn't fathom what I was eating. I kept checking the package to see I hadn't bought some kind of weird specialty chocolate.

As to people concerned about calorie restriction for 7-14 days, I don't see the problem at all. Look at the HCG folks, eating 400 calories a day for months. The HCG just prevents them from getting hungry and going into starvation mode mainly. Same as people who have had lap band or bariatric surgery, they go sub 1000 for months to lose fat. I think 2 weeks of calorie restriction is no problem at all for an otherwise healthy person.
    Otzi: Couple of thoughts:
    1. Unfortunately, I won't be couriering my bikinis to you --- because they fit just nicely now!
    2. It's always of interest to me why some bodies respond differently to identical protocols. But that's the why human bodies are so fascinating and weight loss is quite complex.
    3. I'm thrilled to be on the cusp of my weight loss goal.
    4. I don't eat chocolate -- never had a real liking for it, which is odd as a female.
    5. I don't have any cravings while eating potatoes.
    6. Day 4 for me is clearly the best day yet for energy levels. I'd be happy to go more than 7 days on potatoes but have a dinner at a restaurant with my son and Sunday pm I'm out of town for a week on a conference. I will be using the Potato Feast protocol again should I ever need to lose a few quick pounds in a hurry. This is a protocol that works very very well for me and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention in my plea for help to lose my last 10lbs. Thank you so much! xoxo
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    I happen to be training a number of clients at the moment who, although eating something of a standard diet before I met them, were actually eating around 800 cals a day when I actually got them on the food diary. They didn't lose weight until I upped their calories to a 'sensible' level. By sensible, I mean over 1200 cals per day, and have slowly got them to eat more over time, primal type diet of course.

PureFuncationalFitness: Your comments in relation to your clients sound very solid to me. I can see that your clients are in good hands with you. You work in an interesting industry where every human is different and it takes some trial and error to find the right protocol for weight loss and the journey towards improved health and wellness.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, today is day 2 of the potatoes and I have to say I don't feel very good. I feel dizzy and nauseated but hungry at the same time. I guess I feel similar to when I drink too much coffee. Maybe I just drank too much black coffee.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well, today is day 2 of the potatoes and I have to say I don't feel very good. I feel dizzy and nauseated but hungry at the same time. I guess I feel similar to when I drink too much coffee. Maybe I just drank too much black coffee.

Hope you shake it and have a more pleasant tater experience

Great Blog today and while it mostly suggest you inevitably gain (it assumes we might do like Grok would have and overate) it does say towards the end that it primes your body for fat burning !!

Fall Foods: Why Seasonal Eating Primes the Body for Fat Burning | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Have you ever noticed similar reaction after a high potato or pepper/eggplant/ tomato meal w/o much fat? Intolerances can be a stinker, and the nightshade family has its hostile side.

Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast