Page 25 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 25

beckie is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    So far the potato fast experiment is not doing anything miraculous for me except giving me bad indigestion.

Potato Experiment Stats:
    10/8: 139.5
    10/9: 140.9
    10/10: 140.6
    10/11: 140.4

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    What are your normal macros? I am use to lower-ish cals w/high fat. And fasting, so maybe that is why? And I do not exercise anything like you do normally, although I have found more energy this last week or so
    I tend to eat around 2000cals per day, 70%ish from fat, 5-10% carbs and the rest protein.

I have always been able to stuff on carbs, don't find it so easy with meat and veg. I think this will work for me as a hack to mix things up, but I have a feeling that I will end up eating MORE calories with spuds alone than eating primal, odd but true!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    To clarify my concerns, I am not arguing against eating starches. Anyone who has read my posts regularly will know that I have also had more success since adding more carbs including potatoes and white rice--I agree that HFLC is not the magic solution for everyone. My concern is dripping caloric intake to <1000 kcal per day (something I see as quite risky with the potential of serious metabolic consequences and yoyoing, which has possible long term consequences for body composition and weight regulation) and the potential nutritional deficiencies involved (although this is less of a concern in my mind over a short term period of a week or so).

Choosing to eat 1500 kcal daily from nothing but potatoes seems faddish and questionable but not seriously detrimental, and if it works for you, fine (although I see nothing more magical here than the ease of caloric restriction with high satiety foods). It's the consumption of starvation level calories over several days that has me particularly concerned.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

msfish is offline Junior Member
    Day 4 here.

Does any one else feel the effect of insulin spike after a dose of potatoes? I have this nausea and yuk feeling. Almost like a dehydrated or hung over feeling. It seems to go away, but then I am hungry again! Will it be hard to revert back to my low carb once I am done with tater days?

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    I agree. I can't see any need to drop that low for days on end. In the context of occasional IF, then fine, but if one is going to calorie restrict, I think you still need to use the diary or whatever to make sure you are at an adequate intake per day, or at least averaged out over a few days.

If people are struggling to eat 700 cals on spuds alone, then perhaps it is not the experiment for them. I had no trouble at all, probably overeating in fact :-)

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msfish View Post
    Day 4 here.

Does any one else feel the effect of insulin spike after a dose of potatoes? I have this nausea and yuk feeling. Almost like a dehydrated or hung over feeling. It seems to go away, but then I am hungry again! Will it be hard to revert back to my low carb once I am done with tater days?
    I feel hungry before I eat my 2 potato meals per day. After eating my potatoes, I feel satiated, happy and a little 'full'. I begin to get hungry just before bed time. I'm eating dinner around 4:30pm and go to bed around 9 - 9:30pm. I ignore the feeling of being hungry and then fall to sleep. I have a coffee in the morning and am very busy at work, so I don't eat again until around 11:00 am. I deal with bouts of hunger just fine --- I don't get crabby etc, so this potato feast works just fine for me.

I began the P.Fest at 150lbs and am down to 145.80 lbs.. My goal weight is 143 lbs.. This potato feast has been the catalyst to blast me through the last 7-8 lbs of fat. I will continue posting for 7-10 days after I break the P.Fast so that we know whether the loss for me is permanent or not. When I break fast Saturday evening (meeting my son at a restaurant for dinner), I will go back to my paleo lifestyle with 70%Fat/20% protein/10% carbs as that is what my body seems to do well on. I will be increasing exercise over the next month. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msfish View Post
    Day 4 here.

I think I wouldn't know if there's an insulin spike or not without actually using a blood sugar meter. But I do feel kind of gross today after my breakfast potatoes. I would imagine you can easily revert back to low carb by just going low carb. I doubt a short experiment with potatoes will result in a lengthy low carb flu adjustment period although if you are into ketosis it'll probably take a couple weeks to get there again.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think I wouldn't know if there's an insulin spike or not without actually using a blood sugar meter. But I do feel kind of gross today after my breakfast potatoes. I would imagine you can easily revert back to low carb by just going low carb. I doubt a short experiment with potatoes will result in a lengthy low carb flu adjustment period although if you are into ketosis it'll probably take a couple weeks to get there again.
    This is Day 4 for me on the Potato Feast and although I've felt "good" over the past 3 days, I feel extraordinarily great today. Prior to the Potato Project, I've been VLC and generally in Ketosis. It's interesting to note that since starting the Potato Project, I have NOT been in ketosis, according to my keto stix. However, if I were to go on 'feelings' alone, I would say that I'm in Ketosis today.

Additionally, I can go into and out of ketosis very easily and, in fact, do so almost every day. My body seems to 'like' ketosis and I feel great in that zone and I intend to go back to that zone once I finish my PFeast.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Louisa's experience is pretty much mine. I feel fine, except the first time I had my vitamins, I forgot to take them earlier so it was the last evening tater, and I felt funny but it soon passed. So I make sure I take them earlier now.

I ate my last tater around 7. Bed by 10 (which I try to go to bed by 9 but we are catching up watching SAMCRO) Up at 4am. Little hungry then but didnt eat until after 7.

I had a little gain yesterday but I am around 6lbs down now, since last Wednesday. That included the first 3 days of 30-40% fat along with taters. I will go back to that, as weight loss is just too slow for me on high fat.

I refigured my weight loss for September and dont know if I posted it here or not, but it was .8 for the entire month!! It was about 2lbs for all of August. 2.4 for July I could go back further, but as you can see, steadily increasing to more fat does not work for me

So that is more weight in a week than the last 3 months!! Time will tell if it stays off. And I know.... the scale is a bad judge. But there is also over an inch off my waist since I started, and it hasnt budged since July 2.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-11-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

beckie is offline Member
    Happy to hear that others are having great results on this. I'm just extremely jealous and very disappointed that I'm not seeing anything!

Page 25 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast