Page 23 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 23

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I remember a few years ago making the comment that somebody needs to invent "People Chow". I would love to be able to buy a 50 pound bag of something crunchy that would have the perfect blend of vitamins and C-F-P that I could eat a couple bowls full a day and be guaranteed weightloss and health. They offer this for pets, why not people?

I find that when I commit to just potatoes, everything else is out of the question. It is so easy to justify that other half an avocado or that extra handful of almonds in day-to-day eating.
    Would you eat it if it said -Made in China? Heheh. Frankly, the thought of people chow scares me, because NO ONE can make a food so complete that it can handle every single human need for nutrition. Even the average person is unique. But I hear you on scarfing up the last few bits of leftovers. Dry potatoes would most likely choke me before satiety was achieved, and I'd have no problem leaving any extra.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I think this community needs a way to lose 5-10lbs fairly quickly without drugs or surgery. All of the ideas I have seen touted around here for the last few years just don't work. IF, calorie restriction with primal foods, herbal supplements, cold water therapy, carb refeeds, ketogenic diets, etc...

These all work to some degree and when a person first switches from SAD to PB, fast weightloss is sometimes seen, but then slows to 1-2lbs a month, even though you are 10-20lbs from your goal. Here's where I get worried. I see people trying everything in the book and getting frustrated because after 6 mo of IF'ing, for instance, they are only 1 pound lighter for the massive effort.

There is something magic about the short term potato diet. Try eating 1000 calories of bacon or chicken breast a day for 10 days...you will be miserable. Same for leafy salads or brocolli. For most, the potatoes just don't get old, even after two weeks or more. This is your body telling you it is happy with what you are giving it. The potato is a 'whole' food. It has fat, carbs, and protein. All nicely packaged in a way your body can easily digest it.

If I would have tried this and been miserable and only lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks, I would have not given this a second thought. But I was fasting for 42 hours a week for 6 months and didn't lose any weight. Now that I have a magic reset button, any time I get 5 pounds over where I want to be, I can go on potatoes for 10 days and watch it disappear!
    +1 on this posting. Maybe a quick fix is needed before a 30 year reunion, trip to the beach, pre-wedding, post divorce or any other event that requires a little fat-busting. I'd rather eat 10lbs of potatoes over a 5-day period for $2.00 versus pay a high-end spa $200 to wrap me in a fat-busting, mud and jellyfish wrap, with promises of a 1" loss on my thighs. Don't laugh -- check out high end spa menus!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    4,699 calories composed of 108 grams of fat, 878g carbs, and 75g protein.
    It all adds up! My tracker, I guess the fat was so low on a few ounces of tater that it didnt pick it up!!! Gonna have to fix that for next time!!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

beckie is offline Member
    Regarding some of the previous posts on running: I ran 13 miles on Monday without an energy issue. Granted, this was the first day of the potato fast. I had some potatoes prior to my run and afterwards as well. I felt perfectly fueled. But, this long run *might* be why I was eating so much compared to everyone else the last few days (day 1 - 1300, day 2 - 1450).

Today was another story. I've ended up with a grand total of 892 cals and had to really force down the last bites of potato on my plate (clean plate club strikes again!).

In response to some of the other posts about this not being healthy, YES I know long term this isn't healthy. But for a quick kick-in-the-butt I don't see an issue. I conscientiously chose to do this because I saw it as doable and thought, hey it might even work! And, I freely admit that as a 40+ yo mother of 4 that I'm willing to occassionally try something a little weird to get that kick-in-the-butt --- after all that's how some of us found the primal/paleo lifestyle to begin with.

cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    There are a bunch of people mentioning how this isn't healthy long term (true), but I don't see anyone coming up with solution to that. So, more as a matter of interest, can we turn this is in to a balanced diet?

Let's look at the deficiencies of this diet:

For arguments sake lets assume you skin and bake 1.5kg of potatoes per day (Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potatoes, baked, flesh, without salt), you would be deficient in:
    Riboflavin, Pantothenic acid, Folate, Vit E, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Selenium and possibly Protein (depending on your size) and you would have no B12, Vit A and Vit D.

So add in a B-Complex tablet, now you are only missing: Vit's A, D, E, K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Selenium and again maybe protein.

Add in 1 tbsp of Cod liver oil to take care of the Vit A and Vit D.

Anyone have suggestions to get adequate minerals without breaking the point of the potato fast? (I doubt the 14g of fat from 1 tbsp of cod liver oil would have too much effect).

Also had a question - when you say use salt sparingly, are you referring to regular table salt? or any salt (Himalayan Pink Salt), and if so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    you would be deficient in:
    Riboflavin, Pantothenic acid, Folate, Vit E, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Selenium and possibly Protein (depending on your size) and you would have no B12, Vit A and Vit D.
    I take many of those even when I have my regular intake. I did take some on one evening, and felt sort of semi not so great, but it passed. I took them early in the day today, with my first tater of the day.

But for a few days, I am okay with missing a few vitamins also. I mean shoot, I have missed them most every single day for the last 40+ years. (not saying that is a good thing, just a thing) I don't know how long it really takes you to be deficient A day, a week, a month? I really don't know. But I know that when some ppl do a full on fast, they do not supplement.

Vitamin's A, E and K probably aren't too bad if it's short term, since they are fat soluble you can probably last for a little while on what you had already gotten before starting the potato fast. But the minerals could be a different story.

On another note, I also take a B Complex with my normal primal diet anyway so that's not really that different (just to make sure I am getting enough).

I would be interested in seeing comparison studies between a high good fat diet and a high unprocessed carb (ie. potato) diet if anyone has managed to find any.

Quote Originally Posted by cyro_349 View Post
    I would be interested in seeing comparison studies between a high good fat diet and a high unprocessed carb (ie. potato) diet if anyone has managed to find any.
    I don't have an official study, but:

I have had 3 months of pretty high carb but good carbs
    I have had 7 months of high good fat.

And I track pretty religiously, haven't missed very many day.

My results? Well, I am on the Potato Project, w/low fat - I have gone back to more carbs and less fat, back to where I was seeing good results. I will go back to more fat when I am ready for maintenance Not to say I wont want a day of more fat now and then, but I think my 10 months has proven to me that I can expect slow progress if I do that.

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I IF 7 days per week normally. I eat 2 meals a day in a 6 hour window, and then fast for 18 hours without any issues at all. I've never had a problem with my metabolism (been thin my whole life and so has my mom, and every other member of my family). I'm not sure that my metabolism may be negatively affected by this 7 day fast, but that may be my naivety.

If you are able to eat 2.5lbs of potatoes daily, I will personally nominate you for the Super Spud Award -- a very distinguished Potato Project award, similar to the Darwinian Award.
    I ate 4lb

I did find this - Hunter-Gatherer Macronutrient Ratios: More Data | Perfect Health Diet which is interesting (not sure if it has been mentioned on MDA before), though it is with modern hunter-gatherer diets it is still interesting.

Edit: Also just found this http://cogweb.ucla.edu/Abstracts/Pennisi_99.html which is a good read, and http://cogweb.ucla.edu/ep/2004-04-29_ErectusFire.html shows that homo erectus were cooking with fire around 790,000 years ago which could help support the earlier theory.
    Last edited by cyro_349; 10-10-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Page 23 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast