Page 21 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 21

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Do you realize that 400 calories in a day is called starvation diet and is often seen in cases of anorexia nervosa ?
    Anorexia nervosa is a complex topic involving psychological, psychiatric and emotional factors. To compare/contrast a 7-10 day potato feast/fast project against the complexities of a serious disease, Anorexia Nervosa, is inappropriate and has no place here.

I'm surmising that the few of us that have chosen to participate in this 'fun project' are healthy, able-minded and bodied individuals who operate with sound judgement in whether to continue in this experiment, or switch over to a porterhouse steak tonight. I'm trying to reduce a pooch on my tummy likely resulting from 3 pregnancies and the creation of 4 healthy children.

On the other side of the scale, I would suggest that it's the over abundance of unhealthy, processed foods that are the greater danger to the human species, in some areas of the world.

Dear God, I'm slim enough, but I know that I've still got enough body fat to survive the next 60-90 days without ANY food! Seven days of potato-fasting makes me no more Anorexic than a Tyranosaurus.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I am definitely not new and this sounds very disordered to me.
    I clicked on the little ad box in the corner, for a Primal meal replacement and it is 181 calories. It does have more protein than a tater. A BCAA would probably take care of that if I were concerned about that. But the tater has less fat (zero) and I need to cut the fat so I can lose weight. And I just bought 10lbs of taters on sale for $2.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Owly is offline Senior Member
    This seems no more healthy a way to lose weight than the cabbage soup, master cleanse, or other fad crash diets and is likely to result in a similar rebound. As adults, of course we all can make our choices for ourselves, but it troubles me to see this promoted here as a healthy weight loss method.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Anorexia nervosa is a complex topic involving psychological, psychiatric and emotional factors. To compare/contrast a 7-10 day potato feast/fast project against the complexities of a serious disease, Anorexia Nervosa, is inappropriate and has no place here.

I'm surmising that the few of us that have chosen to participate in this 'fun project' are healthy, able-minded and bodied individuals who operate with sound judgement in whether to continue in this experiment, or switch over to a porterhouse steak tonight. I'm trying to reduce a pooch on my tummy likely resulting from 3 pregnancies and the creation of 4 healthy children.

On the other side of the scale, I would suggest that it's the over abundance of unhealthy, processed foods that are the greater danger to the human species, in some areas of the world.

Dear God, I'm slim enough, but I know that I've still got enough body fat to survive the next 60-90 days without ANY food! Seven days of potato-fasting makes me no more Anorexic than a Tyranosaurus.
    +1 for this!! It astounds me how people can turn a small experiment into some sort of crisis for those taking part. Gee, when we consider what most of the population are eating on a daily basis, for years on end, basically killing themselves slowly with HFCS, high omega 6 intake, wheat causing inflammation, high fat/high carb causing potential CHD issues etc etc.

Then a few people, who are all very interested in their health and nutrition, following a really good diet, decide to have 10 days of fun, just to see what happens. We are all now potential eating disorder candidates who are going to damage our health, both physical and mental, and lose masses of lean muscle mass in the process.

Come on, lets get real, and try not keep things in perspective.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little worried that my terrible carbohydrate intolerance is going to make this hard for me. I felt a bit woozy during my lunchtime run. But we shall see. It's only been one meal. Well, two since I am eating one now. Mustard isn't bad on a potato.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    This seems no more healthy a way to lose weight than the cabbage soup, master cleanse, or other fad crash diets and is likely to result in a similar rebound. As adults, of course we all can make our choices for ourselves, but it troubles me to see this promoted here as a healthy weight loss method.
    I think Otzi has made clear his view that this is not a long term healthy diet, and I think we would ALL agree with that, but as a short term hack, it is most likely to cause no harm at all. Again, when comparing it to what the majority do to themselves on a daily basis, with food ,alcohol, tobacco, stress etc, eating taters for a week is probably quite healthy in the scheme of things :-)

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Long term or not, if otzi didn't "explain" this strategy with the "amino acids" thing which is backed by no science at all (Ok then I'll take some proteins and nothing at all for 10 days and, miraculousely I'll lose fat and not any muscle and feel heatlhy !), everyone would have seen this as a stupid "crash diet" and starvation diet.
    Yes I know for a fact that anorexia nervosa is complicated as I went through it sadly, I wasn't comparing the behaviors of people on this thread to anorexia nervosa suffering individuals, I was just indicating THAT THIS IS A VERY SEVERE CALORIE RESTRICTON and NOTHING MORE THAN THAT, and it doesn't sound anywhere near healthy TO ME.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    eating taters for a week is probably quite healthy in the scheme of things :-)
    Far better than the road I was on. I am lucky in that I started to get a grip on things while I was still in good health, though some numbers were starting to push the limits, but fat alone is toxic enough even without all the other weight related diseases and w/o the added stress of wondering when my luck would run out. And though I have cleaned up my act as far as food goes, weight loss has been crawling since I increased the fat when I went primal in March. The higher the fat, the lower the weight loss. I can't argue or ignore any longer my own numbers from the last 10 months of tracking.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm a little worried that my terrible carbohydrate intolerance is going to make this hard for me. I felt a bit woozy during my lunchtime run. But we shall see. It's only been one meal. Well, two since I am eating one now. Mustard isn't bad on a potato.
    shbikes: Holly Hannah! You found the energy to run while on the Potato project? I consider myself a high, high energy person, but I'm definitely not running on 600 calories per day. I'm hoping to get my race walk in tonight, but that depends if I can get through a couple hundred pages of reading first. No way I feel like running on this deficit. Remember to remain flexible through this fat buster --- it's going to be hard to maintain your active lifestyle while in hyper caloric deficit.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

PrimalCon New York
    We just have to agree to disagree. We are all adults. No one is twisting our arms. I got hungry yesterday and so I also ate some eggs w/my taters and later some liver with my taters.

I cant eat the same as the MOAR fat thread, but that doesnt mean it doesnt work for someone else, but I just know it's not for me. I tried it, didnt work but I understand that it might work for someone else. I still go read that thread once in awhile, but for the most part I don't because I dont have much good experience to contribute. I said it wasnt for me and moved on.

Page 21 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast