Page 20 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 20

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This was an interesting link off of Mark's page

In young overweight women, alternate day fasting was just as effective as caloric restriction at causing weight loss, and adherence to the former was easier than to the latter.

It concludes that both are effective. For me, Taters make calorie restriction easy.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-10-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

cheffy is offline Member
    Back to regular eating after my mini potato feast, and I'm back down to 151.2, from 153, in one day. I'm thinking this potato thing is gonna help me break through a plateau

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    All the articles you link is not about calorie restriction and LONG TERM calorie restriction but occasional fasts.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmmm this is interesting, in a good way. I'm in the middle of a whole 30 but I'm thinking when I finish this I'll head straight into my potato feast. I'm SO close to seeing my abs for the first time ever so maybe this will give my body that boost. The only thing I'm worried about is crossfitting 4 sometimes 5x/week on just potatoes.... I'll try it out and let everyone know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    All the articles you link is not about calorie restriction and LONG TERM calorie restriction but occasional fasts.
    I was just saying that I eat less than this when I fast for a few days, and yet that seems to be acceptable. Some fasts even say it is still a "fast" (yes modified) so long as you stay under 500 calories per day. Seems as though calorie restriction is okay for weight loss for a few days to a few weeks, and doesn't automatically make a person anorexia, and is as effective as fasting.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I find if I eat just potatoes until I'm full, I end up eating about 50-60% of what I normally eat. After a few days, hunger isn't an issue. I generally eat the skin. I think the bone broth 'gravy' is an excellent idea. Very few calories, almost no fat, good flavor, and potatoes tend to be dry.

I maybe get a little gassy at first and that goes away as your intestines get used to the starch. Bowel movements change a little, but never to the point of constipation or diarhea.

Good luck!
    No 'eyes' in my BM's ---- all good and normal on that front.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    If I was relatively new to Mark's Daily Apple, and saw this thread, I would think this was very unhealthy and bordering on eating disorder.

However, this potato diet is simply a short-term, fat-busting plan. Not meant for long-term at all. I resisted it for months when I first heard the idea because I was a 'Primal Fat-Eating Beast'. I hadn't eaten starch in years. The thought that starch could do what fasting, ketosis, and counting calories couldn't do was very foreign to me. I went through 2 cycles of this and had some close aquaintances try it also. The results are very predictable and repeatable. I was reluctant to post about it here for fear it wouldn't work on some or people would want to try it long-term.

Eating potatoes has it's own built-in safeties...potatoes on their own are very boring to eat, it's hard to overeat, and turning this into a months-long diet would be pretty darn hard.

I think there is evidence to show that a diet high in starch, but low in calories is handled differently by the body than a high fat or protein, low calorie diet. Low starch/Low calorie is a huge stressor on the body since all glycogen has to come from advanced digestive processes in the liver and not simply absorbed in the gut.

I think 2 weeks is the max anyone should do this, and maybe 2-4 times a year. I also think that the Primal Blueprint Diet as outlined by Mark Sisson with big-ass salads, bone broth, organ meats and seafood is a very, very healthful long-term way to live.
    I am definitely not new and this sounds very disordered to me.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I resisted it for months when I first heard the idea because I was a 'Primal Fat-Eating Beast'.
    That is why I hadn't gone back to trying it, even though I had success with it almost 20 years ago because I was trying to eat high fat-low carbs as suggested, but eating lots of fat was not helping my weight loss efforts. Kudos to those that can, but for me, it just wasnt working. I think it will be just fine once the weight is gone, but not for my losing weight.

But my life completely changed after that and the good potato turned into lots of fast food & french fries instead

liza is offline Senior Member
    Why shouldn't you kiss in a potato field? Potatoes have EYES! We used to tell that joke when I was a little kid. Couldn't resist.
    . . .
    But unless they're both (the 2 kissers) ostriches with their heads in the ground, how would those potato eyes see?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    But unless they're both (the 2 kissers) ostriches with their heads in the ground, how would those potato eyes see?
    You'd better not tell that joke in a corn field...

Page 20 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast