Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You eat potatoes or rice for days on end, you will lose fat. Not water weight. Fat. Not muscle. Fat.
    I'll wait for some proof. Everything that I have read indicates having a protein intake this low leads to sufficient loss of lean mass. Thats just the facts.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    2 decades ago, I ate alot of taters. Sometimes along with other things, like fish or chicken, but alot of taters. I did not know anything about nutrition, nor cared to really. I was losing weight and settled into about 125lbs. I was lifting heavy, or so I think, for a girl anyways. I wasnt paying attention to anyone else, or reading anything so I dont know if I was lifting heavy or not actually but I could squat 300lbs and I was benching 100 though I didnt spend much time on bench pressing - squats were my fav. Then I became PG with child #4 and quit cold turkey.

I had wanted to try it again, eating taters that is, but I was afraid since I thought I should eat more fat and fewer carbs.

However My n=1 over the past 10 months, has shown me that for me to lose weight, I need to cut the fat.

It has gone something like this:

When I started to get serious with my journey in January 2012, I was eliminating bad foods, so by default cutting carbs and fats. I mostly only focused on keeping my fats under control - I was a product of the 80's & 90's dieting. (I didnt know about low carb, but I was naturally headed that way - at least significantly lower than I had been on SAD)

I was losing 10lbs per month at about 30-40% fat.

Then I started to research more - thought I could fine tune - learning about good fats, low carbs, etc.

So since Mid-March:
    Then I went to 50-60% fat - losing 4-5lbs per month
    Then I went to 60-70% fat - losing 3-4lbs per month
    Then I read, you need to eat MORE fat so I went to 70%+ and just under 2lbs lost last month.
    Even MORE fat at 75-80%, I gained but fasting took it back off.

Low Net Carbs the entire time. Some days 15 - 20, some days 50. Few 70 now and then but rare.

If that was your pattern, what would you do?

Well, I read Perfect Health Diet, one particular entry. He is normally on the fat train also - a Paleo Guy, but for weight loss, he suggests lower fat. So that is what I am doing. He also said to a poster that
    Starches are better for weight loss than sugars, so they’re the best source of carbs. I think you should strive to eat a pound of safe starches per day, preferably as white potatoes and sweet potatoes rather than rice, but rice is very convenient.
    And he also said to me that he
    thinks that omega-6 minimization is key so reducing fat and adding some carbs can help with that too.
    Adding potatoes back in was obvious to me. I only wish I had opened my eyes sooner, but everyone says more fat, give it time. I have given it 7 months, and while I am losing, - 20lbs in 7 months, I just was losing faster on lower fat. Still primal foods, no low/no fat frankenfood, and still within my calorie range, I just need to shift the macros.

All I can do is try it and if it doesnt work, or when it quits working, do something different.

This whole tater business was perfect timing for me. I just wish I would have done it sooner.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-06-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Nivanthe is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    However My n=1 over the past 10 months, has shown me that for me to lose weight, I need to cut the fat.
    Yep, this is me as well. I was doing great when I first started primal, for about 4 months, until I started adding more fat, and then MOAR fat, and then... Embarrassingly, since Jan 2012, i've gained back 35 out of the 60 pounds that I have lost (pre-primal). I've only gone up from a size 8 to a 10 so it wasn't entirely noticeable, but no, it is not muscle.

I've been waiting for this thread since seeing the idea on Odds and Ends, otzi. Thanks.

The first 2-3 days of this for me went well, though I didn't weigh, I could feel it in my clothing. I had to cut it short due to social obligations, but I'll be back to it probably tomorrow or Monday!
    Last edited by Nivanthe; 10-06-2012 at 12:16 PM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I've been waiting for this thread since seeing the idea on Odds and Ends, otzi.
    I've got to get out of the Nutrition Forum house more. I might have had my epithany sooner!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Nivanthe is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I've got to get out of the Nutrition Forum house more. I might have had my epithany sooner!
    I usually remember when Nutrition isn't updating quick enough, and I want more stuff to read.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    My workouts consist of intervals/sprints on the treadmill and also lifting heavy weights 2x a week. Do you think it's ok to keep the intensity up on my workouts?

I'm thinking of trying this soon to give my thyroid a push wih the carbs.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I think this is very primal. Just think about our paleolithic ancestors during this time of year if they couldn't kill something, but had ample access to tubers.
    I think this part is key. Hunter/gatherers didn't generally have the luxury of keeping their macros steady. I'm sure they were all over the place, if not on a daily basis, then surely on a monthly/seasonal basis. A serial mono diet of ancient whole foods could be a great tool. I'm doing really well with a more random approach and average 50f/25c/25p, but I can see someone with other goals trying something else.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    My workouts consist of intervals/sprints on the treadmill and also lifting heavy weights 2x a week. Do you think it's ok to keep the intensity up on my workouts?

I'm thinking of trying this soon to give my thyroid a push wih the carbs.
    You will be the one to make the decision, I think you'll be fine.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Why did you reply to yourself four times?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    otzi did that to provide more information.

i could see this working, but i could see it as difficult for me to do, really. mostly because I'd get sick of these things pretty quickly. LOL though the hash browns with vinegar and salt would be awesome.

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast