Page 18 of 109 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 18

tcoop2232 is offline Junior Member
    This an interesting experiment, and I think it's pretty awesome that people are continually changing things up. In my opinion, I think in the end the caloric deficit is the main contributor of the fat loss. As long as satiety is controlled, a caloric deficit is fairly easy to maintain. So, all the potatoes (starch) makes this possible. In another scenario, someone could do the same thing with protein, eat moar chicken/tuna. For those concerned about lean muscle retention and continuing a workout routine during this experiment, I might recommend a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) as suggested in Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss" book.

I realize this is another n=1 experiment with white starches, and I'm only hypothesizing the basic fat loss reasons behind the experiment, while also suggesting its similarity to other approaches.

Thanks.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, using that calculator puts my body fat percentage at 27.7%. Not the more respectable 25% I put in my signature.
    I seriously question the accuracy of that calculator. It puts me at 12.6%, which is definitely way off.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I seriously question the accuracy of that calculator. It puts me at 12.6%, which is definitely way off.
    I was looking more at the calories needed, and they seemed on the low side.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoop2232 View Post
    This an interesting experiment, and I think it's pretty awesome that people are continually changing things up. In my opinion, I think in the end the caloric deficit is the main contributor of the fat loss. As long as satiety is controlled, a caloric deficit is fairly easy to maintain. So, all the potatoes (starch) makes this possible. In another scenario, someone could do the same thing with protein, eat moar chicken/tuna. For those concerned about lean muscle retention and continuing a workout routine during this experiment, I might recommend a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) as suggested in Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss" book.

I realize this is another n=1 experiment with white starches, and I'm only hypothesizing the basic fat loss reasons behind the experiment, while also suggesting its similarity to other approaches.

Thanks.
    I think your comments accurately define/reflect this experiment. I'm a big believer in variety while on the path to a specific goal (ie. weight loss/fitness etc).

I'll compare this experiment to a good coach of an athlete. Athletes are dedicated to the attainment of their goal. A good coach understands that a variety of training tools will assist in keeping the athlete emotionally and intellectually engaged, thereby increasing the odds of achieving personal success. How many young athletes do we know who quit their competitive swim programmes or piano lessons out of boredom? Numerous.

For numerous individuals on this site, weight loss and maintenance is likely going to be an 'ongoing process' for the rest of our lives. The pursuit of n=1 health, vitality and emotional well-being is a noble goal. To share in this pursuit with our friends, families and strangers on this forum is also noble. Therefore, whatever tools we can jam into our arsenal and share is of benefit to this community.

It is likely that I would have reached my weight goal in the absence of the Potato Project. However, the enjoyment is sharing the journey with other, like-minded individuals and documenting the results.

For me personally, the hyper-acceleration of weight loss is a bonus and the methodology is sound and I don't have a problem doing this. If this experiment works for a few of us, then the possibility exists that it will be successful for others who embrace 'mixing up' their approach to weight loss. It's a win/win.

Now, if someone posits the experiment of a liver and kidney experiment, I'll politely decline as I still cannot manage eating those foods, despite the fact that I understand how healthy they are.

Okay, now my stomach is calling ---- and my potato latkes need warming in the microwave --- and I'm off!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Big Bobcat is offline Junior Member
    Could you do this for just 2-3 days and then go back to regular paleo diet, and still expect some permanent results?
    Just wondering because I would like to try this, but my schedule would only really allow me to do this for a few days at a time. If there is something "magical" about doing it for 10 days, then I'll have to wait. I also don't want to drop a pound or two, only to put it right back on.
    Thanks in advance.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Following that lead:

Q: What do you call a person who spends a lot of time sitting and peering into their garden? A: "Medi Tators."
    Q: What do you call a potato that is never motivated, but are content to watch others? A: "Speck Tators"!

More bad tater jokes here:

Potato Jokes - Vegetable Jokes
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

beckie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    As I read through, I seeing a trend of people who are also eating rice not doing too well on this. Looking at calorie info on rice, it does seem to pack more calories in a smaller serving, so maybe just sticking to potatoes is warranted.
    My thoughts too. No rice today!

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bobcat View Post
    Could you do this for just 2-3 days and then go back to regular paleo diet, and still expect some permanent results?
    Just wondering because I would like to try this, but my schedule would only really allow me to do this for a few days at a time. If there is something "magical" about doing it for 10 days, then I'll have to wait. I also don't want to drop a pound or two, only to put it right back on.
    Thanks in advance.

I Just gotta comment cause I saw your name and where you were located.............GO BOBCATS
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bobcat View Post
    Thanks in advance.
    Good question. Maybe do this experiment for 2-3 days and let us know what the results are for you?
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Following that lead:

Q: What do you call a person who spends a lot of time sitting and peering into their garden? A: "Medi Tators."
    Q: What do you call a potato that is never motivated, but are content to watch others? A: "Speck Tators"!

More bad tater jokes here:

Potato Jokes - Vegetable Jokes
    Totally put a smile on my satiated face. Now, what to make for dinner tonight -- oh yeah, mashed potatoes!
    F, 48, 5'10"

Page 18 of 109 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast