Page 17 of 108 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh?

Shop Now
    I love taters, but still finding that I was getting by with 4-5 per day. And they were only about 3-5oz taters.

I forgot to say that along w/my 5.4lbs, I lost over an inch off my waist. That was about the only measurement that changed, but that is okay with me

I think that I had more energy than before. Part of that though, might have just been releasing myself from the "stress" of trying to figure out why I just wasnt losing like I thought I should be. I have been low carbing for quite some time, a few days of upping the carbs, but not many and never over about 75-100.

I also have alot I need to get done this week for Saturday, so that might be part of it also. But for me, I have felt better with more energy than I can recall noticing for awhile.

Maybe it is just being pumped with seeing results, I don't know. But I have gotten alot of stuff done.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I have used weight/height/BMI calculators on the internet before, but found this one this morning and seems to be the best I've found yet.

I personally update my digits regularly and recalculate what my nutritional needs are every few weeks.

Here it is, for those who would like to check it out:

Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio and More...

/LU
    Last edited by Louisa655; 10-10-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Gosh I can't imagine the 10 potatoes I bought not being enough for two days. Some of them are huge. I'm bringing two into the office for breakfast. There are two already on my desk for lunch. I can have two for dinner. I can also stop at the store if it's not enough. I don't think I will do this for 10 days. I was going to try for 2 days and see if anything happens, if I can choke them down, if I feel okay eating just potatoes, if there's any change in my waist size. Two days probably isn't enough for a change in my waist size, but if it changes, hey maybe I can justify continuing. If nothing else, I hope that the cracking and popping of my joints from eating fake olive oil for a month will see some relief.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Day 3 for me on the potato experiment. No weight loss (yet), but since this has been easy for me to follow I'm not quitting. I've been weighing my little potatoes before I eat them and logging all of my food in MFP, primarily to make sure that I'm not overdoing it and not sneaking something in that I really shouldn't.

I found it interesting that for the first 2 days my calories ended up being within my normal targeted range. I wasn't aiming for the calorie targets, it just sorta happened. I'm not as hungry today and have only had my 1.5 cups of coffee. I have several baked potatoes waiting for me in the little fridge under my desk when the hunger hits.

I have been running and walking for my exercise since I'm gearing up for a race in a few weeks. I have no energy issues and feel great. I'm just hoping that my n=1 isn't going to turn out that this won't work for my skinny-fat self.

Potato Experiment Stats:
    10/8: 139.5
    10/9: 140.9
    10/10: 140.6

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I have used weight/height/BMI calculators on the internet before, but found this one this morning and seems to be the best I've found yet.

I personally update my digits regularly and recalculate what my nutritional needs are every few weeks.

Here it is, for those who would like to check it out:

Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio and More...

/LU
    Wow, using that calculator puts my body fat percentage at 27.7%. Not the more respectable 25% I put in my signature.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Gosh I can't imagine the 10 potatoes I bought not being enough for two days. Some of them are huge. I'm bringing two into the office for breakfast. There are two already on my desk for lunch. I can have two for dinner. I can also stop at the store if it's not enough. I don't think I will do this for 10 days. I was going to try for 2 days and see if anything happens, if I can choke them down, if I feel okay eating just potatoes, if there's any change in my waist size. Two days probably isn't enough for a change in my waist size, but if it changes, hey maybe I can justify continuing. If nothing else, I hope that the cracking and popping of my joints from eating fake olive oil for a month will see some relief.
    The BMI site that I was just on states that a reduction of 1" of waist size results from a 5-7lb loss of weight. My thought is that n=1, right?

I'm enjoying this experiment and as long as I'm seeing results, I'm good to go. I made Latkes on the weekend and stored them in airtight containers. I have a container at home, and at work so I have something in a 'pinch' when I get hungry. I'm boiling potatoes for dinner, mashing 'em and eating approx 17 ounces for dinner. I'm eating 3-4 small Latki's for brunch. Total potatoes for the day = 1.3-1.5 lbs (approx).

I'm eating two meals per day to keep the insulin spikes to a minimum.

Let's carry on and see what the next few days bring. No matter what, I have to stop this experiment on Sunday because I'm off to a conference and my colleagues will exonerate me if all I'm doing is eating potatoes for the conference. At some point I'll have to appear as a normal human being My biggest challenge is that my suits no longer fit --- so I have no idea what I'll be wearing to this conference. Oh well, one hurdle at a time.

Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by beckie View Post
    Day 3 for me on the potato experiment. No weight loss (yet), but since this has been easy for me to follow I'm not quitting. I've been weighing my little potatoes before I eat them and logging all of my food in MFP, primarily to make sure that I'm not overdoing it and not sneaking something in that I really shouldn't.

I found it interesting that for the first 2 days my calories ended up being within my normal targeted range. I wasn't aiming for the calorie targets, it just sorta happened. I'm not as hungry today and have only had my 1.5 cups of coffee. I have several baked potatoes waiting for me in the little fridge under my desk when the hunger hits.

I have been running and walking for my exercise since I'm gearing up for a race in a few weeks. I have no energy issues and feel great. I'm just hoping that my n=1 isn't going to turn out that this won't work for my skinny-fat self.

Potato Experiment Stats:
    10/8: 139.5
    10/9: 140.9
    10/10: 140.6
    Thanks for the update. What's your total consumption of potatoes on a daily basis (in lbs)?

/Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Thanks for the update. What's your total consumption of potatoes on a daily basis (in lbs)?

/Lu
    Day 1 was ~2lbs, Day 2 was ~2.5lbs

I just went back and looked at my log. Here's the exact numbers:

Day 1: 770g potatoes (~1.76lb), 400g rice
    Day 2: 1100g potatoes (~2.52lb), 280g rice

Learn More
    Interesting n=1 expirements going on here. I may have to give this a shot
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74