Page 14 of 109 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 14

cheffy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by primarilyprimal View Post
    I'm keen to see how the women fare on this potato fast. Because we all know that men merely have to do a little dance, look at the moon and cross their eyes in order to lose body fat
    I wish!! I've been primal for a year and have gone up and down in weight, losing probably 5 lbs net. Although I'm nowhere near obese, I'd like to get between 10-15% body fat haha

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    I was up .2kg, but definitely too early to make a decision, it is most likely that glycogen tanks will have been replenished to some extent, so a little extra water weight there. I don't fret about micro gains/losses
    Well I broke the potato feast today, since I've been out of town, but I'm pretty sure ill resume tomorrow. I really wanna see how this goes. I think the trick for me will be not to eat 4lbs of potatoes. Maybe only 3 lbs a day

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    Well I broke the potato feast today, since I've been out of town, but I'm pretty sure ill resume tomorrow. I really wanna see how this goes. I think the trick for me will be not to eat 4lbs of potatoes. Maybe only 3 lbs a day
    I'm female and I've never had a large appetite. I'm averaging approx 1.25 - 1.5 lbs of potatoes per day. I'm on Day 3 and had my largest meal EVER of potatoes (17 ounces) for dinner. I'm quite full and I won't be eating anything else until tomorrow brunch (likely around 11:00am or so). I'm keeping to two meals a day which seems to work for me.

/cheers/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    I think my issue is that I can eat A LOT of potatoes and/or rice. I will weigh out 3lbs tomorrow and see how I go with that, but I have eaten rice 3 times today, and potatoes twice. The rice is going to have to go I am afraid.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primarilyprimal View Post
    I'm keen to see how the women fare on this potato fast. Because we all know that men merely have to do a little dance, look at the moon and cross their eyes in order to lose body fat
    If that was true, I would be 8% body fat. I'm more like 25% (lowest I've ever been since childhood was around 18%) right now and it's not for lack of eye-crossing and moon-gazing, I can assure you. If I can ever get my BF below 15% I will consider it a huge success.

This meme that men all have it easy in the weight-loss department is pretty disheartening to those of us for whom it's not true.

EDIT: and FYI, I'm 25 years old, fit, do regular resistance exercise and lots of walking, very good strength and overall musculature, healthy sex drive. I'm just fat, on top of all that.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 10-09-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    If that was true, I would be 8% body fat. I'm more like 25% (lowest I've ever been since childhood was around 18%) right now and it's not for lack of eye-crossing and moon-gazing, I can assure you. If I can ever get my BF below 15% I will consider it a huge success.

This meme that men all have it easy in the weight-loss department is pretty disheartening to those of us for whom it's not true.

EDIT: and FYI, I'm 25 years old, fit, do regular resistance exercise and lots of walking, very good strength and overall musculature, healthy sex drive. I'm just fat, on top of all that.
    I'm going out on a limb here to say that I'm sure PrimalyPrimal wrote that comment quickly and did not really mean it. All of us on this forum know that the comment is unfairly biased and untrue. We are all n=1 and there are some individuals who struggle with weight loss perhaps more than others and being male or female is irrelevant. PrimalyPrimal may consider withdrawing her comment, given that it was likely posted without thinking about how many may be offended by it.

/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I'm going out on a limb here to say that I'm sure PrimalyPrimal wrote that comment quickly and did not really mean it. All of us on this forum know that the comment is unfairly biased and untrue. We are all n=1 and there are some individuals who struggle with weight loss perhaps more than others and being male or female is irrelevant. PrimalyPrimal may consider withdrawing her comment, given that it was likely posted without thinking about how many may be offended by it.

/Lu
    No need to go retracting anything on my account, I just like to make sure people are aware that generalizations are not universal.

I'm thinking about trying my own potato experiment now...

I'd be very interested to see how my body responds to 2-week cycles of nothing-but-potatoes, alternated with 2-3 weeks of high-nutrient density eating (lots of fish, fruit, greens, liver, eggs, etc.) for a few months. It sounds promising...

Intentional calorie restriction just tends to make me crazy. But I can eat a monotonous diet no problem.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Intentional calorie restriction just tends to make me crazy. But I can eat a monotonous diet no problem.
    I think that is why I like it. Fasting for days on end is tough. And fasting has other benefits besides weight loss, so still a good idea, but for those of us more interested in the weight loss benefits, this modified tater fast seems to work great! Even when I use bone broth, or fat coffee, or kraut for my fasts, I don't get very satisfied for very long and I am right back to thinking that I should quit thinking about food! And any time I have ever fasted, I am fairly certain I have never lost more than a pound per day, or 1.1 maybe. Never 2. I would have remembered that for sure
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Finally! Someone said it! Monotonous diets are fairly easy to stick to. No excessive meal planning, no feeling guilty over eating the same meals over and over. When I see the lucious varied offerings in primal cookbooks and on blogs, I feel inadequate. But when I go to the lengths (and expenses) required to serve those yummy meals, 2 things happen. I rebel against being a kitchen slave again after years of feeding different diets to my different offspring and diabetic hubby. And the 2nd? I gain weight on such appealing fare! What? No fair! Back to monotony for me. I may even try potatoes again, although they shoot hubby's blood sugar into the stratosphere. Keep the results coming and help me decide.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    It is somewhat 'smoke and mirrors' in that it is calorie restriction, but it does seem that starch, without extra fat or protein, causes weight loss in excess of what CICO dictates.
    No more calorie restriction than other things we try - protein meal replacements, fasts, modified fasts, and so on. Granted, the meal protein shakes might have more vitamins added to make it more complete, I dont know cuz I havent tried those yet, but the tater is complete enough for a few days to a few weeks and CHEAP. We can always supplement with what we think we might be lacking.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 14 of 109 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast