Page 13 of 109 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 13

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hello Team Tater!

Long time lurker--first time poster.

I live in Oregon and grow several acres of potatoes. After I found Mark's Daily Apple and read Primal Blueprint almost 3 years ago, I pretty much gave up on eating potatoes and just sell them. I'm a 6', 40 year old guy who went from 260 to 180 on Primal diet, have kept up the 'no processed foods, sugars, or oils' for about 3 years, but find myself creeping up a bit. I was 210 a couple weeks ago and saw the post on "Losing 3-4lbs". http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66669-3.html Funny, because I rarely look at the forum, just the blog when i get an email from Mark Sisson.

Anyway, as we were in the process of digging up potatoes, I thought "what the hell". So starting on October 1st, I just have been eating potatoes. I have been eating about 3lbs a day. Mostly russett type, baked, and mashed up with onion powder, chili powder, vinegar (great tip!), and other spices. I sometimes munch a cold baked potato and have gotten good at frying them without oil.

So, this is Day 9. My weight went like this: 210, 210, 208, 207, 205, 205, 204, 203. My scale isn't the best, but I have not seen my weight go DOWN in over a year--and I have tried! Not real hard, but with the usual things people try I guess.

Anyway, another 5 days to go. I will let you know when it's over, I can't get on here every day like a lot of you seem to do. Really busy right now. Thanks, Otzi, for the tip. I plan on using this from time to time.

For the record--I ate only potatoes. No oil, rice, onions, tuna, it was kind of an honor thing for me since I'm known as the "potato guy" around here. I'm telling everybody that buys my potatoes about this and maybe some will come on here and tell you their story.

Thanks again.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've never had any issue with energy and exercise no matter what my carbohydrate level.
    It might just be a long term effect that you're sore all the time?

Also, why is it that you can eat unlimited vinegar? Doesn't it have simple sugars? I personally would not mind that; in fact, I could just drink vinegar straight without the potato for 14 days and not care. I imagine this would create havoc on my stomach though...

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Hello Team Tater!

"Losing 3-4lbs". http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66669-3.html
    OMG I LOLed myself when I saw your name. too funny

and I wish I would have seen that thread sooner. I mostly just hang out here in the Nutrition house. Team Tater was pretty funny also!!

WTG on your success so far!!

This morning, I had to weigh early. I always weigh more before 7 uggh but I weighed anyways. Up .2 but I havent done any "business" for a couple of days either, so I am not tripping on that, but I was very VERY hungry this morning. I mean I came off a fast and right into low fat and taters. Then all taters. So I had 3 eggs with my hashbrowns. And I may have liver tonight because it is thawed out already along with my taters, then taters starting again tomorrow for another run.

So pretty much 5 tater days (including my low fat and taters - before I heard of the tater feast, I was just coming back around to taters anyways) So 5 tater days = 5.4 pounds lighter. I am thrilled.

I will be back on Team Tater later, so I am hoping to see more downward momentum.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-09-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Also, why is it that you can eat unlimited vinegar? Doesn't it have simple sugars? I personally would not mind that; in fact, I could just drink vinegar straight without the potato for 14 days and not care. I imagine this would create havoc on my stomach though...
    1 CUP of vinegar has 50 calories, 2g carbs, 1g sugar. I've used probably 1 or 2 TBS max a day, so like .01g sugar...I think it's safe to consider the vinegar a healthy flavoring, like spices.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    1 CUP of vinegar has 50 calories, 2g carbs, 1g sugar. I've used probably 1 or 2 TBS max a day, so like .01g sugar...I think it's safe to consider the vinegar a healthy flavoring, like spices.

This could shed some light on why vinegar is not limited in this sort of crash diet.
    Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    Seems like I'm the only one who's gained weight on this..

Up to 153.6 this am. Nothing huge, but not a loss. Thinking about ditching the potato project, count it as a carb refeed, and move on. But who knows.

On the flip side, despite being close to ravenous yesterday, after eating 4lbs of potatoes total, I'm actually experiencing no hunger so far today
    I was up .2kg, but definitely too early to make a decision, it is most likely that glycogen tanks will have been replenished to some extent, so a little extra water weight there. I don't fret about micro gains/losses

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    50 calories and 2g carbs? Is the rest protein or something?

I'm keen to see how the women fare on this potato fast. Because we all know that men merely have to do a little dance, look at the moon and cross their eyes in order to lose body fat

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Hello Team Tater!

I live in Oregon and grow several acres of potatoes. After I found Mark's Daily Apple and read Primal Blueprint almost 3 years ago, I pretty much gave up on eating potatoes and just sell them. I'm a 6', 40 year old guy who went from 260 to 180 on Primal diet, have kept up the 'no processed foods, sugars, or oils' for about 3 years, but find myself creeping up a bit. I was 210 a couple weeks ago and saw the post on "Losing 3-4lbs". http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66669-3.html Funny, because I rarely look at the forum, just the blog when i get an email from Mark Sisson.

Anyway, as we were in the process of digging up potatoes, I thought "what the hell". So starting on October 1st, I just have been eating potatoes. I have been eating about 3lbs a day. Mostly russett type, baked, and mashed up with onion powder, chili powder, vinegar (great tip!), and other spices. I sometimes munch a cold baked potato and have gotten good at frying them without oil.

So, this is Day 9. My weight went like this: 210, 210, 208, 207, 205, 205, 204, 203. My scale isn't the best, but I have not seen my weight go DOWN in over a year--and I have tried! Not real hard, but with the usual things people try I guess.

Anyway, another 5 days to go. I will let you know when it's over, I can't get on here every day like a lot of you seem to do. Really busy right now. Thanks, Otzi, for the tip. I plan on using this from time to time.

For the record--I ate only potatoes. No oil, rice, onions, tuna, it was kind of an honor thing for me since I'm known as the "potato guy" around here. I'm telling everybody that buys my potatoes about this and maybe some will come on here and tell you their story.

Thanks again.
    A big thank you to Tatertot for doing what you do so we can enjoy these wonderful potatoes. I can't imagine the long hours that you work in rather unpredictable conditions (weather, insects, the market, staff etc etc). I have nothing but respect for those who are planting the land for the rest of us desk junkies -- THANK YOU!

Also glad to report that I'm enjoying my 1lb of potatoes (mixed white and yellow) tonight for dinner with a bit of beef broth poured on top. I'm avoiding adding anything else to these perfect tots because I'm aiming for pure results.....no onions, no garlic, no pepper, no hot sauce etc etc. Can't wait to get on the scale tomorrow morning to view the results from Day 3.

Onwards, Potato Project participants!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 13 of 109 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast