Page 12 of 109 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 12

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Day 2 of the Potatoe Project: Good news --- I'm down 2 lbs. Prior to commencing the Potato Project, I was on a 36hour Fast so these are two new variables for me.

I find that eating potatoes makes me feel 'full'er' and doesn't leave me feeling lean. However, when I woke up this morning, I was feeling very lean and was anticipating a loss on the scale.

I've had 2 small potatoes for brunch and will have dinner after work. I was on two meals a day in my primal programme, so it seems as though my body still wants to eat 2x per day, although I'm flexible with this. I'm eating when I'm hungry only.

I won't be taking my body temperature as I mentioned in a previous post, as I can't find my thermometer.

I'll be doing weights tonight as my workout. Looking forward to what the scale points to tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I can tell you that if I were to try it it is because the basic primal blueprint diet has gotten the inuslin-resistance weight off nicely but nothing more than that. I could easily lose 10-20 more pounds and almost look like the image of pretty in the success stories he normally posts. All the exercises have just left me wrecked and sore to the point of not being able to roll over in bed for 4 days per week. After 9 months of the exercises and sprinting and spending over half those 9 months being sore with no weight loss, I'm sick of all that. But I haven't tried this potato thing.
    Have you ever tried carb cycling or have you continued to stay low carb through all the sprinting? Personally, when I do heavy lifting and sprinting, I have to have at least 150g carbs on that day; otherwise, the subsequent days end up with my muscles having no energy and being sore for longer than usual.

cheffy is offline Member
    Seems like I'm the only one who's gained weight on this..

Up to 153.6 this am. Nothing huge, but not a loss. Thinking about ditching the potato project, count it as a carb refeed, and move on. But who knows.

On the flip side, despite being close to ravenous yesterday, after eating 4lbs of potatoes total, I'm actually experiencing no hunger so far today

beckie is offline Member
    Starting Day2. Unfortunately, my weight has gone up just a tad from yesterday. But it's entirely possible that yesterday's weight was a bit low due to dehydration. Regardless, I'm sticking with this for the time being to see what happens.

CW: 140.9 (+1.4)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    Started this morning, set 2.5lbs of potatoes to one side and baked half of them. Ate 4 halves this morning, and will hashbrown some for lunch with vinegar, I hope balsamic is ok, will check.

This morning - weighed 81kg, or 178.2lbs. 6ft2,5inches and 44 years old.

Here are some pics taken last week, I was 80kg then. Not looking bad but some belly fat to shed, I think 6lbs or so will take me to 12% BF

Sorry if they are a little blurry

If this works for you I will be very tempted to try it out. I am around where you are but with maybe 3-4% more body fat. I absolutely love potatoes so I wouldn't suffer through this too much.

I haven't read the rest of the thread (at work so need to sneak) but what would be the downsides to eating potatoes AND say something like pico de gallo along with them? (diced tomatoes and onions with some lime juice?) and making some homemade hot dipping sauce? (just chillies, garilc, salt, pepper, etc blended..)

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    I began my primal weight loss program about 20 months ago. To date I've lost about 104 lbs. I'm a 5'4" female and according to the insurance weight charts I should weigh between 120-125 lbs. I'm stuck at about 141.2 lbs and I figure I've hit the dreaded "plateau". I've changed nothing over the last 20 months in my eating. I completely satisfied almost all the time. I'm anxious to get rid of the last 20 or so lbs. so I can, for one thing, start to buy some serious clothes.

I'd like to try eating potatoes and see if they don't give my weight loss a new kick-start.

Are sweet potatoes ok? Would it be better to stick to white ones for the duration?
    I take about 8000 IU of Vitamin D-3 a day, comes in Soybean oil, I know nasty? Can I continue to do this?
    I also take 1 Tbl of gelatin dissolved in water twice a day to help with joints and very saggy excess skin. Will this interfere?

Naturally I'm feel anxious about messing with an eating plan that's working but I'm tired of the plateau too.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    On a somewhat related note, white rice + canned tuna (in water) is a fairly popular crash diet among Peruvian women (of my generation, at least) with some spices and onions most women love it as a week to two-week must-lose-fat diet. I reckon that's safe enough due to the protein intake and considerably low fat aspect of it - this sounds somewhat related but with obvious differences.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    On a somewhat related note, white rice + canned tuna (in water) is a fairly popular crash diet among Peruvian women (of my generation, at least) with some spices and onions most women love it as a week to two-week must-lose-fat diet. I reckon that's safe enough due to the protein intake and considerably low fat aspect of it - this sounds somewhat related but with obvious differences.
    I'd think you could live on that indefinitely! The downside to potatoes only is a huge lack of Vit B12 and C. Vegans go years with no B12, so it must not be a required vitamin for life, but I don't like it for more than 2 weeks. A single oyster or a small sardine would supply more than the RDA of B-12, so it doesn't take much. A small slice of bell pepper provides 100% Vit C needs.

I like the simplicity of just potatoes and the results. If you want to play around with it, try 100% potatoes for 4 or 5 days, note your loss, then add in some salsa or fish, etc... and see if stays the same. I think it would, but what I found when I tried that, I got off-track and started wanting other foods which made focusing on potatoes harder and harder. 'Just potatoes' takes away the temptations and you find you can just eat without the added enjoyment of variety.

I think this is where many start slipping up with diet...they call it calorie creep or carb creep, a few nuts here--a banana there...it all adds up.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    Wel, I'm adapting it already :-) I love potato wedges, but they don't quite cook right in the oven with zero oil - Soooo.......I wedged up a tray of spuds, and added a small teaspoon of olive oil (3-4ml max), can hardly see it, but when you toss the spuds with your hands it slightly coats the potatoes and they crisp up lovely.

I am going to eat this for a couple of days and see whether it has a negative effect of weight loss. 4g (36cals) of fat once a day should have little or no impact I suspect, but don't try it until I find out, don't want the experiment getting messed up for everyone else.
    Have you tried grating them and dry-frying in a no-stick pan? That is my favorite way. We call that 'hashbrowns' not sure if you have a similar dish in the UK. Another good way is boiled, mashed, then browned in a pan. I know what you mean about the wedges not cooking up right without oil.

I also baked 10 potatoes, wrapped in tin foil, to use for lunches all week. Sometimes I eat them cold, sometimes nuked.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Have you ever tried carb cycling or have you continued to stay low carb through all the sprinting? Personally, when I do heavy lifting and sprinting, I have to have at least 150g carbs on that day; otherwise, the subsequent days end up with my muscles having no energy and being sore for longer than usual.
    I've never had any issue with energy and exercise no matter what my carbohydrate level.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 12 of 109 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast