Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 11

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    1 or 2 pounds says nothing because a big glass of water or a big dump can weigh 1 or 2 pounds
    Speaking of which, how are y'all doing in that department. I had a day of A-mazing! haha and days of nothing. I dont think I am eating as many as some though. I weighed one of my larger taters I have been eating, and it was just over 5 oz, so I am eating 3 - 5 of those per day.

I did have some salt water this morning. I have taken magnesium on and off, more off than on I guess.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I find it fascinating that a fad diet like this is being received so enthusiastically. I am very interested in knowing more about the people using this method, specifically:

a) are you overweight and trying to lose a lot of BF or are you lean and trying to lose the "last 5 pounds",

b) do you find that following a primal lifestyle simply does not work for you with regards to your fat-loss goals? Or is it too hard to stick to and you find your weight creeps up slowly so that you have to "reset" every now and then with something like the tater diet?

Not judging btw, genuinely curious.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I can tell you that if I were to try it it is because the basic primal blueprint diet has gotten the inuslin-resistance weight off nicely but nothing more than that. I could easily lose 10-20 more pounds and almost look like the image of pretty in the success stories he normally posts. All the exercises have just left me wrecked and sore to the point of not being able to roll over in bed for 4 days per week. After 9 months of the exercises and sprinting and spending over half those 9 months being sore with no weight loss, I'm sick of all that. But I haven't tried this potato thing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    I find it fascinating that a fad diet like this is being received so enthusiastically. I am very interested in knowing more about the people using this method, specifically:

a) are you overweight and trying to lose a lot of BF or are you lean and trying to lose the "last 5 pounds",

b) do you find that following a primal lifestyle simply does not work for you with regards to your fat-loss goals? Or is it too hard to stick to and you find your weight creeps up slowly so that you have to "reset" every now and then with something like the tater diet?

Ok, remember... you asked

For me: I see it as more of a hack and fine tuning. Not a fad. Just something to do now and then. I am trying to read and learn more of the science behind it and will see how it goes for my n=1 & then decide it it is something I should practice now & then.

a) overweight
    b) primal lifestyle works & fits just fine, and taters are primal, right? Primal is not hard to stick to, it is the way I was raised and started raising my children before busy lives, hectic schedules, and all too convenient fast food. The reason why this peaked my interest, I have been reviewing my trackers, trying to figure out what I need to do. It should have been obvious I guess, however everyone says fat is where it's at & give it time, so I kept at it. But I lost most of my weight pre-primal, mostly watching my fat intake. My tracking clearly shows that when I went primal in March and went from 30% up to 50% fat, weight loss went from 10lbs per month down to 4-5lbs per month. The more fat I added, the slower the weight loss until finally last month it was less than 2lbs and I realized moar fat was just not working for me. My calories were always at a deficit each day especially with w/IF. I wanted to go back to what was working before, but keep it in the primal food family but I was apprehensive I also kept thinking about how 2 decades ago when I was in the best shape of my life, I was living on alot of taters, mostly because they were cheap and easy, I knew nothing about nutrition. But I lived at the gym so I didnt know if it would work again, and I read carbs drives insulin drives fat, so taters were a carb I had been avoiding for the last 7 months and only had occasional the previous 3. Then I read on Perfect Health Diet webpage the other day (and I had read it many times before but I wasn't grasping it) and he is believes in 65% fat, except for weight loss. He said to cut the fat for weight loss, and he believes in including starches like taters, so I came off my fast, into lower fat w/taters, and then within a day or two this tater business popped up. High fat was not working for me for weight loss although I think it will be just fine for maintenance, so it was time to try something else.

IMO, this is just a tool, like fasting is a tool or whey protein shakes, etc are a tool
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member

As the previous poster mentioned, this is not a fad diet, it is an idea that a forum user has used to good effect, and there are a few of us who like an experiment, just for the hell of it to see how it works.

I have around 6-8lbs of fat to lose to hit 10-12% BF, if this hack can help, what the hell, this is not going to make you ill in a fortnight, in fact few diets would, they usually require chronic poor dietary decisions over years to mess up your metabolism etc.

I love the primal liefstyle, eating, exercise etc, but I am also an experimenter. I personal train some very overweight people, and get them to eat low carb and primal. If I were to talk to other trainers, nutritionists and sporting bodies, they would tell me I was giving FAD diet advice :-) I don't ask my clients to eat taters for a week or more, but as an individual, I can do it, and see what it brings.

I think I will be pretty strictly primal and low carb for life now, but a week of experimentation with food, and how it affects body composition, energy levels etc, is very interesting to me. Hell, Tim Ferris has done pretty nicely with his experimentation philosophy, makes life interesting !

zilog is offline Senior Member
    @PureFunctionalFitness I believe you'll find the contents of this thread fits the exact dictionary definition of a fad, but since I'm interested in neither semantics or an argument I'll agree to call it a "hack" from now on.

As I was reading your post I was wondering, "hmmm I wonder if this guy knows about Tim Ferris"! I am in exactly the same boat as you with regards to BF goal so I'd be interested to learn how you get on. My initial thought when I read the OP was that this situation (i.e. stubborn fat loss on already fairly lean people) would be the ideal application of the hack.

I can tell you that if I were to try it it is because the basic primal blueprint diet has gotten the inuslin-resistance weight off nicely but nothing more than that.
    Thanks, this is basically what I have found as well.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member

Good questions and these are my responses:
    1. I've been primal for 3 complete months and love it -- would never go back in time. I've never been 'overweight' but had put on 10 lbs during my MBA that I want to remove. The first 10lbs came off so fast, that now I have loftier goals -- another 10. I have 8 more lbs to lose to reach my ideal weight. Prior to the Potato Project, I've been ketogenic and the weight loss stagnated for a few weeks. I'm giving the potato project a try because I'm trying to bust through the final 8 lbs and the science behind this seems fine and I'm always up for a bit of a fun challenge.

Since I'm still new to weight loss, I've never done a 'reset' before but understanding bodies and nutrition, the re-set makes total sense.

That's all for now.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    @PureFunctionalFitness I believe you'll find the contents of this thread fits the exact dictionary definition of a fad, but since I'm interested in neither semantics or an argument I'll agree to call it a "hack" from now on.

As I was reading your post I was wondering, "hmmm I wonder if this guy knows about Tim Ferris"! I am in exactly the same boat as you with regards to BF goal so I'd be interested to learn how you get on. My initial thought when I read the OP was that this situation (i.e. stubborn fat loss on already fairly lean people) would be the ideal application of the hack.

Thanks, this is basically what I have found as well.
    Yeah, it may *albeit loosely* fit the definition of a fad, but it's hardly a diet in the conventional sense of the word. 7 days of a certain way of eating definitely sounds more like an experiment than a diet, so I don't know what you're trying to get at by even making the comparison. Call it what it is; a hack, an experiment, an exercise in cutting those last pounds of fat.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Wel, I'm adapting it already :-) I love potato wedges, but they don't quite cook right in the oven with zero oil - Soooo.......I wedged up a tray of spuds, and added a small teaspoon of olive oil (3-4ml max), can hardly see it, but when you toss the spuds with your hands it slightly coats the potatoes and they crisp up lovely.

I am going to eat this for a couple of days and see whether it has a negative effect of weight loss. 4g (36cals) of fat once a day should have little or no impact I suspect, but don't try it until I find out, don't want the experiment getting messed up for everyone else.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting article on the "potato diet" and why it works - the man in the article ate almost nothing but potatoes for 60 days instead of the 10 recommended here, but it does explain some things.

Whole Health Source: Potato Diet Interpretation
    Last edited by Lynna; 10-09-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast