Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1086

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 108

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    The latest talk at FTA is about resistant starch, and using raw potato starch as a supplement for getting resistant starch, which helps control blood glucose.

The potato diet/hack is about weight loss, it's as described in this thread--eat potatoes, lose weight.

Sorry you got the two ideas confused.

However, your BG response to a huge potato-only meal wasn't so bad, about the same as mine. A really bad result would be well over 200 for over an hour. Are you on any meds for T2D?

If you want to try the RS approach to BG control, you would mix 1-4TBS of raw potato starch in some sour cream, and put that on a potato and check post-prandial BG--I think you would see way less than with potato alone.

I think in this thread, it was discussed that the potato hack/diet for weightloss is not advisable for someone with BG control issues, although with the pp's that you reported, I would say you could do the potato diet for a few days and you'd probably see those pp numbers come down and FBG be stable. However, if you are on meds, I don't know...

A normal, slightly insulin resistant person would see a spike between 150-200 about an hour after consuming a large potato meal, it should be almost back to normal at 2 hours and for sure at 3. Some hypoglycemia is normal for a very short time between 2-3 hours because of the huge glucose load and insulin response.
    I'm not sure why it is thought that having BG up to 200 is not a problem. Over 140 causes nerve damage.

By the way, I am not on meds or insulin. My BG is totally controlled by my eating a VLC ketogenic diet. I have no need to use resistant starch to control my BG.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

RSL
    I ate the potato 24 hours ago. My blood glucose is still 10 points over my normal fasting BG. So, even after 24 hours, my BG did not get back to where it was before the potato.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

otzi Guest
    I guess I'm a bit confused. How were you diagnosed as T2D? What is your hbA1C? Basically, all you did with the potato-only meal was to give yourself an oral glucose tolerance test--the same one that your doctor no doubt gave you when he diagnosed you T2D.

All in all, it sounds like using potato starch/resistant starch and an all-potato diet is not for you.

A single spike or two, even daily, above 140 does not cause nerve damage. Even spikes up to 200 do not cause nerve damage. It's when someone has uncrontrollable BG that stays above 140 for most of the time, resulting in an elevated hbA1C, that causes problems. Most recommendations are to avoid glucose spikes by having fat with carbs.
    Last edited by otzi; 08-26-2013 at 09:03 AM.

RSL
    I was diagnosed with T2D just a month ago by my doctor. My glucose tolerance test result was in the diabetic range, therefore the diagnosis. Because I have been eating VLC for over 4 years, my hbA1C is in the normal range now.

Evidently, I had been T2D for years before starting HFLC, but had never been tested. The response I have to glucose is extremely high, and my doctor told me that as long as I eat VLC, I will not need insulin or meds.

I only wanted to do the PH to lose the last several pounds of excess body fat that I still have. I had heard that T2Ds could do it because the resistant starch in potatoes would not raise their blood sugar. Obviously not so in my case. I had better just steer clear of all carbs, including resistant ones.

What are you confused about?
    Rebecca

otzi Guest
    I didn't know if you were actually diagnosed, or just thought you were T2D based on a home BG monitor.

If you have been eating low carb for quite some time, and were low carb when you went in and did an oral glucose tolerance test, the results would be skewed, making it look like you were a diabetic. My guess is that you are not diabetic in the least, but are showing signs of physiological insulin resistance (PIR), which is a normal, necessary, reaction to low-carbing. I have seen several people say you need to eat a moderate amount of carbs for a week or so prior to an OGTT for it to have any meaning. If your hbA1C was normal, you are definitely not diabetic.

There is not enough RS in regular cooked potatoes to make much of a difference in the glucose response. To go straight from LC/VLC to an all-potato diet will cause alarming readings on a BG monitor.

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    My guess is that you are not diabetic in the least, but are showing signs of physiological insulin resistance (PIR), which is a normal, necessary, reaction to low-carbing.
    My doctor would disagree.

If your hbA1C was normal, you are definitely not diabetic.
    If a person is diabetic with an abnormal hbA1C, then spends four years eating HFLC, their hbA1C will go down in response to their new blood glucose over that four years. Since going VLC, my BG has been normal.
    Rebecca

Gatordn is offline Junior Member
    Otzi, is there a limit to how many potatoes a day?
    Sunday was day 1 and I went down 1.4, but bounced back after day 2 and went up .6 this morning. Ate less yesterday. Today I've eaten more, close to 3lbs. It's always difficult to not emotionally eat after a gain.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatordn View Post
    Otzi, is there a limit to how many potatoes a day?
    Sunday was day 1 and I went down 1.4, but bounced back after day 2 and went up .6 this morning. Ate less yesterday. Today I've eaten more, close to 3lbs. It's always difficult to not emotionally eat after a gain.
    Not really a limit as they sort of self-limit, but it ends up being a 'calorie' game in the end. Most people report feeling full on about 50% of their normal calorie intake and see rapid weight loss.

What I found works really well for me, skip breakfast, eat 1 big potato around noon, eat 2 big potatoes around 6, and snack on 1 or 2 golf ball sized potatoes any time hunger pangs are unbearable. Calorie-wise, that's probably 800-1000.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    My doctor would disagree.

If a person is diabetic with an abnormal hbA1C, then spends four years eating HFLC, their hbA1C will go down in response to their new blood glucose over that four years. Since going VLC, my BG has been normal.
    Here is a post for you:

Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance

Not sure if you doctor is correct or incorrect, but if he is not accounting for this there is at least a chance its the latter. Your statement about hbA1C is correct, but that doesn't totally account for the fact of PIR. Of course without all of your markers and specific numbers we're just shooting from the hip.

Key Tones is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can see physiological insulin resistance on my glucose monitor. If I eat a high fat ketogenic diet, my fasting glucose is around 120. When I do the potato hack, my fasting glucose goes to low to mid 80s (typically 83). If I eat a moderate carb diet, fasting glucose goes to mid 90s.