Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1081

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 107

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I dont take my blood sugars. Maybe I should so I know? Would I feel anything different & should be looking for signs of some sort? But I started to track my temp last night. In looking back through the thread, it seemed that the suggested time to take your temp was upon rising. Are there any other beneficial times? Like X number of minutes after a meal, or something?
    The first mention of taking a blood glucose reading on page 32. But not doing it. Is there a chance that a bunch of people who are doing this (or were doing this then) were having high blood glucose and damaging their nerves?
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'd only recommend doing it for fun.. I don't think you have anything to worry about on either blood sugar or temp. If you get a glucose tester, it's interesting to see how it changes throughout the day. I got one because my FBG was always around 100, kind of concerned me. I find that it is sometimes closer to 100 within an hour of waking, but drops to low 90's after 2 hours. After eating I have a textbook curve.
    But eating this much starchy carbs would cause a serious spike in a person with Type 2 Diabetes.

I ate potatoes this morning, and "just for fun" I took my BG afterwards and it was 183.
    Last edited by RSL; 08-25-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

otzi Guest
    The latest talk at FTA is about resistant starch, and using raw potato starch as a supplement for getting resistant starch, which helps control blood glucose.

The potato diet/hack is about weight loss, it's as described in this thread--eat potatoes, lose weight.

Sorry you got the two ideas confused.

However, your BG response to a huge potato-only meal wasn't so bad, about the same as mine. A really bad result would be well over 200 for over an hour. Are you on any meds for T2D?

If you want to try the RS approach to BG control, you would mix 1-4TBS of raw potato starch in some sour cream, and put that on a potato and check post-prandial BG--I think you would see way less than with potato alone.

I think in this thread, it was discussed that the potato hack/diet for weightloss is not advisable for someone with BG control issues, although with the pp's that you reported, I would say you could do the potato diet for a few days and you'd probably see those pp numbers come down and FBG be stable. However, if you are on meds, I don't know...

A normal, slightly insulin resistant person would see a spike between 150-200 about an hour after consuming a large potato meal, it should be almost back to normal at 2 hours and for sure at 3. Some hypoglycemia is normal for a very short time between 2-3 hours because of the huge glucose load and insulin response.

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Potatoes contain resistant starch so don't tend to spike blood sugar like rice does. Likely why potatoes do better on this than rice.
    The resistant starch did not seem to prevent my blood glucose from spiking. And bananas do the same thing to me.
    Rebecca

RSL
    I'm pretty sure eating high carb for 2 weeks won't cause diabetes.
    I agree, but if someone has diabetes already, doing this could cause serious problems. I was just diagnosed, but went for years having it without knowing I did.

If I had gone into this without checking my blood glucose, I would have kept going for two weeks with seriously elevated blood glucose.
    Rebecca

RSL
    The latest talk at FTA is about resistant starch, and using raw potato starch as a supplement for getting resistant starch, which helps control blood glucose.

The potato diet/hack is about weight loss, it's as described in this thread--eat potatoes, lose weight.

Sorry you got the two ideas confused.

However, your BG response to a huge potato-only meal wasn't so bad, about the same as mine. A really bad result would be well over 200 for over an hour. Are you on any meds for T2D?

If you want to try the RS approach to BG control, you would mix 1-4TBS of raw potato starch in some sour cream, and put that on a potato and check post-prandial BG--I think you would see way less than with potato alone.

I think in this thread, it was discussed that the potato hack/diet for weightloss is not advisable for someone with BG control issues, although with the pp's that you reported, I would say you could do the potato diet for a few days and you'd probably see those pp numbers come down and FBG be stable. However, if you are on meds, I don't know...

A normal, slightly insulin resistant person would see a spike between 150-200 about an hour after consuming a large potato meal, it should be almost back to normal at 2 hours and for sure at 3. Some hypoglycemia is normal for a very short time between 2-3 hours because of the huge glucose load and insulin response.
    I'm not sure why it is thought that having BG up to 200 is not a problem. Over 140 causes nerve damage.

By the way, I am not on meds or insulin. My BG is totally controlled by my eating a VLC ketogenic diet. I have no need to use resistant starch to control my BG.
    Rebecca

RSL
    I ate the potato 24 hours ago. My blood glucose is still 10 points over my normal fasting BG. So, even after 24 hours, my BG did not get back to where it was before the potato.
    Rebecca

otzi Guest
    I guess I'm a bit confused. How were you diagnosed as T2D? What is your hbA1C? Basically, all you did with the potato-only meal was to give yourself an oral glucose tolerance test--the same one that your doctor no doubt gave you when he diagnosed you T2D.

All in all, it sounds like using potato starch/resistant starch and an all-potato diet is not for you.

A single spike or two, even daily, above 140 does not cause nerve damage. Even spikes up to 200 do not cause nerve damage. It's when someone has uncrontrollable BG that stays above 140 for most of the time, resulting in an elevated hbA1C, that causes problems. Most recommendations are to avoid glucose spikes by having fat with carbs.
    Last edited by otzi; 08-26-2013 at 08:03 AM.

RSL
    I was diagnosed with T2D just a month ago by my doctor. My glucose tolerance test result was in the diabetic range, therefore the diagnosis. Because I have been eating VLC for over 4 years, my hbA1C is in the normal range now.

Evidently, I had been T2D for years before starting HFLC, but had never been tested. The response I have to glucose is extremely high, and my doctor told me that as long as I eat VLC, I will not need insulin or meds.

I only wanted to do the PH to lose the last several pounds of excess body fat that I still have. I had heard that T2Ds could do it because the resistant starch in potatoes would not raise their blood sugar. Obviously not so in my case. I had better just steer clear of all carbs, including resistant ones.

What are you confused about?
    Rebecca

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I didn't know if you were actually diagnosed, or just thought you were T2D based on a home BG monitor.

If you have been eating low carb for quite some time, and were low carb when you went in and did an oral glucose tolerance test, the results would be skewed, making it look like you were a diabetic. My guess is that you are not diabetic in the least, but are showing signs of physiological insulin resistance (PIR), which is a normal, necessary, reaction to low-carbing. I have seen several people say you need to eat a moderate amount of carbs for a week or so prior to an OGTT for it to have any meaning. If your hbA1C was normal, you are definitely not diabetic.

There is not enough RS in regular cooked potatoes to make much of a difference in the glucose response. To go straight from LC/VLC to an all-potato diet will cause alarming readings on a BG monitor.