Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1086

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 107

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Awesome! I haven't done one since like the end of last year, might be time again in the near future.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

moon7 is online now Member
    Can this fast be done with sweet potatoes?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by moon7 View Post
    Can this fast be done with sweet potatoes?
    Yes, but then it becomes the Sweet Potato Diet. Sweet Potatoes and White Potatoes are quite different in terms of nutrients and sugars/starches. It may work--if you try, let us know.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    I have been reading all the threads about the potato hack here and at Low Carb Friends, and I decided to try it this morning for the first time.

I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, but I have been very low carb for over four years, and my T2D is completely controlled if I eat right. On the other hand, if I eat sugar, or even too many vegetables or too much protein, my blood sugar zooms up. My fasting BG is an average of 85.

I had been concerned about my blood sugar zooming up if I ate potatoes, but people were saying that it did not happen to them, and someone else said that on Free the Animal, the guy is treating his mother's Type 2 Diabetes with the PH. So I figured I would do it.

Last night, I peeled and boiled a couple of pounds of Yukon Gold and put them in the fridge.

This morning, I checked my blood glucose when I got up and it was 86, so good. Then I ate 1/2 pound of them, with apple cider vinegar, sea salt and a sprinkle of garlic powder.

I started checking my BG, and within 90 minutes, it was 183 and it took several hours to get back to the low 90s, at which point it started going up again, even though I had not eaten anything else at all. The last time I checked, it was still 106. Whoa! This is not good!

When I read on Free the Animal that the first time you do it, your BG may go up really high, I thought, fine, but when I posted a question there, it appears that the reason they are suggesting the PH is to stabilize and lower fasting BG. I have no problem with my fasting BG, as I mentioned, and as long as I eat right, I have no problem with my BG after I eat, either.

The only reason I want to do this is to lose the last several stubborn pounds of body fat that are hanging around. I have been doing Alternate Day Intermittent Fasting for the past three weeks, and it has been going well, but I was attracted to the idea that I would be able to eat potatoes (which I have avoided for years) and not have to eat only 300 calories on the days that I fast.

Could I please get an opinion about this from the experienced people here? I would be willing to do the hack for two weeks, but not at the expense of burning up the beta cells that are remaining in my poor, damaged pancreas.

Thanks!
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

RSL
    I have read the first 19 pages of this thread and no one has mentioned checking their blood glucose or if they are diabetic.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I dont take my blood sugars. Maybe I should so I know? Would I feel anything different & should be looking for signs of some sort? But I started to track my temp last night. In looking back through the thread, it seemed that the suggested time to take your temp was upon rising. Are there any other beneficial times? Like X number of minutes after a meal, or something?
    The first mention of taking a blood glucose reading on page 32. But not doing it. Is there a chance that a bunch of people who are doing this (or were doing this then) were having high blood glucose and damaging their nerves?
    Rebecca

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'd only recommend doing it for fun.. I don't think you have anything to worry about on either blood sugar or temp. If you get a glucose tester, it's interesting to see how it changes throughout the day. I got one because my FBG was always around 100, kind of concerned me. I find that it is sometimes closer to 100 within an hour of waking, but drops to low 90's after 2 hours. After eating I have a textbook curve.
    But eating this much starchy carbs would cause a serious spike in a person with Type 2 Diabetes.

I ate potatoes this morning, and "just for fun" I took my BG afterwards and it was 183.
    Last edited by RSL; 08-25-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Rebecca

otzi Guest
    The latest talk at FTA is about resistant starch, and using raw potato starch as a supplement for getting resistant starch, which helps control blood glucose.

The potato diet/hack is about weight loss, it's as described in this thread--eat potatoes, lose weight.

Sorry you got the two ideas confused.

However, your BG response to a huge potato-only meal wasn't so bad, about the same as mine. A really bad result would be well over 200 for over an hour. Are you on any meds for T2D?

If you want to try the RS approach to BG control, you would mix 1-4TBS of raw potato starch in some sour cream, and put that on a potato and check post-prandial BG--I think you would see way less than with potato alone.

I think in this thread, it was discussed that the potato hack/diet for weightloss is not advisable for someone with BG control issues, although with the pp's that you reported, I would say you could do the potato diet for a few days and you'd probably see those pp numbers come down and FBG be stable. However, if you are on meds, I don't know...

A normal, slightly insulin resistant person would see a spike between 150-200 about an hour after consuming a large potato meal, it should be almost back to normal at 2 hours and for sure at 3. Some hypoglycemia is normal for a very short time between 2-3 hours because of the huge glucose load and insulin response.

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Potatoes contain resistant starch so don't tend to spike blood sugar like rice does. Likely why potatoes do better on this than rice.
    The resistant starch did not seem to prevent my blood glucose from spiking. And bananas do the same thing to me.
    Rebecca

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'm pretty sure eating high carb for 2 weeks won't cause diabetes.
    I agree, but if someone has diabetes already, doing this could cause serious problems. I was just diagnosed, but went for years having it without knowing I did.

If I had gone into this without checking my blood glucose, I would have kept going for two weeks with seriously elevated blood glucose.
    Rebecca