Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1081

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 105

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The more you can stay away from extras, the better off you will be. However a number of ppl still added extras and still had some success

This is from Hyperlipid:
    The theory why people are calling this a "diet hack" isn't because of calories. That would just be normal dieting. The reason why potatoes are the chosen food is because they're basically zero fat and come with high quality protein, something very rare in a vegetarian protein source, and a lot of nutrients. The theory is because your body needs fat to manufacture insulin, if you are eating ZERO fat, it has to pull fat out of storage to manufacture insulin.Because white potatoes are so highly insulogenic and create such a massive, high GI response, it needs A LOT of insulin - which requires a significant portion of fat. Since you aren't eating fat along with it, it is forced to go to adipose tissue as a source - and needs quite a bit - to make all that insulin.

So when you start combining potatoes with outside sources of protein and fiber - like egg whites, fish or vegetables - you are destroying the"hack." You are greatly reducing the insulin spike you're supposed to get, which lessens the immediate fat need from your fat cells to manufacture insulin. The whole point is because potatoes are so massively insulinogenic. If you add stuff, it doesn't work. It has to be all potatoes.

You could surely do it with white rice too, but it's not recommended because there's virtually no protein (certainly no high quality protein) and far less nutrients. Potatoes were chosen because of the very high quality protein, the nutrient density, the high glycemix index and the fact that someone can survive a very long time eating simply potatoes - it is nearly a complete food - you will become ill much faster eating just white rice than eating just white potatoes.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the point of it is NOT to add anything to *make* them more
    palatable, because if you are truly HUNGRY, you will eat the damn potatoes
    plain!

It's part of the satiating mechanism.

Boring food = not so hungry, but not starving to death is also the coolness
    of the potato as well because even though I didn't want anymore potatoes,
    I wasn't HUNGRY for *ANYTHING* else.

Seriously.

Julie

Xexist is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Yeah, the point of it is NOT to add anything to *make* them more
    palatable, because if you are truly HUNGRY, you will eat the damn potatoes
    plain!

It's part of the satiating mechanism.

Boring food = not so hungry, but not starving to death is also the coolness
    of the potato as well because even though I didn't want anymore potatoes,
    I wasn't HUNGRY for *ANYTHING* else.

Seriously.

Julie
    I get what you are saying. Wanting to improve the flavour only because Im not sure I have what it takes to stick with this for weeks. It was only 1 day and I was craving sticking just about anything but a potato in my mouth. In fact forget the potatoes, I was just really hoping I could get away with a small amount of cream in my coffee lol.

Thanks for the answers though!

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    The other day I was at dinner with some friends and they all stopped eating with a few bites left, citing fullness, but then everybody did a switcheroo and was able to finish somebody else's plate.

So someone said eating is like Tetris, it's as if you have different shaped holes in your stomach and if you get the right combo of pieces you can clear space and get hungry all over again. I thought that was cute.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
    I get what you are saying. Wanting to improve the flavour only because Im not sure I have what it takes to stick with this for weeks. It was only 1 day and I was craving sticking just about anything but a potato in my mouth. In fact forget the potatoes, I was just really hoping I could get away with a small amount of cream in my coffee lol.

Thanks for the answers though!
    Ohhh IIIIII see.

See, I wasn't craving anything else at all. Blech!

In addition to the potatoes, I did NOT stop my 15g of heavy
    cream and 100g of whole milk in my coffee in the morning.

Wild horses couldn't stop me, and the potato hack STILL WORKED.

SJMC, that IS cute! Ha!

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
    Hate to bump such a long and dormant thread, but this is what brought me to this forum so it is what it is. Ive spent the last 3 days or so reading this thread and figured it coudlnt hurt to give this a try.

Is anyone else still doing this, or at least falling back on it from time to time?

One question I have is just how strict you have to be on the no fat. For example for like a tsp of olive oil (or was it tbsp?) there was 9g of fat, so I get that butter/margerine/oil is bad and a little self defeating on the no/low fat of all potatoes. What about smaller amounts? 1 or 2 g of fat from coffee creamer, or from a 2 second spray of PAM or something similar. NO fat sour cream (in really really small doses), or no fat greek yogurt?

I realize the point is to avoid these things as much as possible, but how harmful is adding just a tiny bit of items like this to improve palatability?

I love potatoes so I thought this would be a piece of cake for me but after 1 day, let me tell you It has been a challenge. Vinegar, hot sauce both saved this for me.
    I did 7 days of the potato diet in Oct. and lost 8.2 lbs. I stayed "pure" except for about a tsp of ketchup or a TBL of fat free bullion. The amounts weren't enough to help the taste. I forgot to add that very early every morning I had, what amounted to 1 pork rind, to buffer a medication I take. Why pork rind? Because it kept on the nightstand without spoiling and was 0 carbs compared to crackers. I again did the potato diet this past week for 7 days and lost about 4 lbs. I added around 1/4 cup of fat free chicken broth (canned) to the chopped up, mashed potatoes (warm) and it made a huge difference for me. It also may account for why I didn't lose more weight like last Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I did 7 days of the potato diet in Oct. and lost 8.2 lbs. I stayed "pure" except for about a tsp of ketchup or a TBL of fat free bullion. The amounts weren't enough to help the taste. I forgot to add that very early every morning I had, what amounted to 1 pork rind, to buffer a medication I take. Why pork rind? Because it kept on the nightstand without spoiling and was 0 carbs compared to crackers. I again did the potato diet this past week for 7 days and lost about 4 lbs. I added around 1/4 cup of fat free chicken broth (canned) to the chopped up, mashed potatoes (warm) and it made a huge difference for me. It also may account for why I didn't lose more weight like last Oct.
    I might also add that at the time of this second potato diet I was within about 5 lbs of my goal weight and that, in itself, could have been the cause of slower, smaller weight loss.

Now that I have almost reached my goal I plan to use the potato diet for those times that I find myself creeping up a bit. All white, unadorned potatoes aren't interesting but 7 days of only them works for me.

Xexist is offline Junior Member
    Has anyone tried any kinda hybrid to this? Like- Potatoes for 1/3 meals a day, or 2/3 meals a day? It might slow down the speed at which it works, but might make it more viable longer term. Or rather than eat potatoes every day maybe 'only potato' days twice a week, as a longer term solution to maintain or lose weight?

Just thinking out loud here.

Today is my second day and I have had very encouraging results so far.

Sergel is offline Junior Member
    Gee... what is this diet doing here...

Really? You could probably do that on jelly beans too... Why not simply eat les carbs... works for me anyway... good meat, veggies, one or two fruits in the day and bingo... weight loss.. no strain, complete nutrition...

I hate thos gimics. Like jojo said previously, you could probably do this with anything... hey why not try 30 bananas a day....lol

I dunno, does'nt sound healthy to me at all...