Page 102 of 109 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1081

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 102

  1. #1011
    pklopp's Avatar
    pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    531
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    by oxidation do you mean through exercise?
    Yes, especially high intensity sprint training that heavily involves the lower body. That basically demolishes glucose stores, making you a glucose sponge since the largest muscles you possess, bar none, are your quadriceps ( thighs ).

    -PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

    Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

  2. #1012
    mykidsteacher's Avatar
    mykidsteacher is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    15
    I have noticed in the past that if my bg reading is high, even just 15 minutes of brisk marching through the house with knees raised high and arm circles/swings will drop it 30-40 points. So yes, exercise is a def help. After that supper meal when the numbers were so high, I was sitting watching a movie for 2 hours.

  3. #1013
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,596
    Well, actually you need to throw the glute max in on that since it is the single largest muscle on its own....and will be very well used in the lower body sprint training. Interesting thing is its hardly used in the walking gait, but really comes into its own when we run.

  4. #1014
    katemary's Avatar
    katemary is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well, actually you need to throw the glute max in on that since it is the single largest muscle on its own....and will be very well used in the lower body sprint training. Interesting thing is its hardly used in the walking gait, but really comes into its own when we run.
    What about stairs. If I am regaining fitness to do efficient sprints, will stair walking have the same effect?

  5. #1015
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,596
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    What about stairs. If I am regaining fitness to do efficient sprints, will stair walking have the same effect?
    Stairs are great! And you can mix it up by doing single or double steps. Just be careful on the way back down!

  6. #1016
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    I have stairs in my house. And I try really hard NOT to use them haha. I guess I should make a point every day. That is something I could incorporate and not even notice the time and effort spent. Maybe I should start using the upstairs or downstairs bathroom?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  7. #1017
    pklopp's Avatar
    pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I have stairs in my house. And I try really hard NOT to use them haha. I guess I should make a point every day. That is something I could incorporate and not even notice the time and effort spent. Maybe I should start using the upstairs or downstairs bathroom?
    While all exercise will oxidize glucose to some extent, high intensity is defined by the production of lactate when you overwhelm the oxidative capacity of the muscles and instead of generating further energy from pyruvate ( the end product of glycolysis ) the excess pyruvate is converted to lactate which is shunted to the liver for gluconeogenesis.

    So, if you don't feel the burn ... well, you're not really at high intensity.

    -PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

    Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

  8. #1018
    Quarry's Avatar
    Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Yes, especially high intensity sprint training that heavily involves the lower body. That basically demolishes glucose stores, making you a glucose sponge since the largest muscles you possess, bar none, are your quadriceps ( thighs ).

    -PK
    Thanks for this reply and your other responses explaining

  9. #1019
    lambchop's Avatar
    lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    310
    Oooh another 2 lb gone, I love this!

    Bag of red potatoes for variety..let's see how that goes

  10. #1020
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    So, if you don't feel the burn ... well, you're not really at high intensity.

    -PK
    Thanks for the English I was just thinking more along the lines of just a little extra something to do throughout the day. Like parking at the end of the parking lot sort of thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    Oooh another 2 lb gone, I love this!
    Good job!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •