Page 101 of 109 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1081

Thread: EAT MOAR TATERS! Huh? page 101

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I just love putting the potatoes in the plastic bag and then in the cart next to the full fat milk. Since I am the skinniest person in the grocery store, this is a lot of fun for me.
    fiercehunter - back? spuds and it's not even summer? ray peat ftw?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    fiercehunter - back? spuds and it's not even summer? ray peat ftw?
    Yep.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    Hi Lambchop,
    I am starting day 3 today. So far it's been pretty easy. I am doing a mix of Yukon Gold and Sweet Potatoes. I find I stay full much longer on sweet potatoes than Gold. I have been eating 1.5-2 pounds of sweet and half to 1 pound of gold. Only thing I haven't given up is half and half in two cups of decaf. Down 2 pounds on morning three. I'm happy with that.
    sounds great.

of all the things to hang onto - half and half! lol, obviously you like it...

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post
    I decided to give this a go, and have been logging what I'm eating, feeling and weighing in Evernote. Much as I'll regret this (I don't usually share pictures of my torso), here it is:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/wrigleyj/potatodiet

Click the View Options and Date Created (Oldest First) to read it in a more sensible order.
    look forward to the next torso!

mykidsteacher is offline Junior Member
    Wondering if I can get a little advice.

A little background--female, 125 lbs, went paleo Aug 2011 lost 20 pounds, started an alternate day IF (JUDDD) in Jan 2012 and lost 7 more by April when I reached my current weight. Maintain with lt day IF, 700 cals one day 1600-1700 next, still primal. Had gest diabetes with my last baby 7 years ago, controlled with diet. Not diabetic now, but get some high spikes with grains/sugar, so I stay primal and bg stays stable. Typical carb levels around 120g on my higher calorie day.

I tried the potato diet yesterday (it was my low cal day) and was alarmed at my bg readings. I bought a bag of yukons, not sure of the weight, but the bag was worth 330 calories. Boiled them in a box of ff chicken stock with some spices thrown in (basil, marjoram, thyme and parsley). Had just coffee for breakfast, about 1/3 of the potato soup for lunch, with the rest (cooled and reheated) for supper along with the addition of 2-3 Tbsp salsa. Here are my numbers:

Morning fasting: 73

Pre-lunch 64
    1/2 hr pp 117
    1 hr pp 141
    1.5 hr pp 114
    2 hr pp 101

No problem there, I could live with that.

Supper pp 88
    .5 hr pp 201
    1 hr pp 222
    1.5 hr pp 191
    2 hr pp 165

Those are scary high for me. Even a piece of cake on an empty stomach only gets me around 180 (which I don't do once I realized that). At this point, I ate a hamburger patty and waited a bit. By bedtime, 3.5 hrs after eating, bg was 109. This morning fasting was 75. No weight change, and I have the puffy/achy feeling in my hands that lets me know I'm retaining fluid and inflammation is up a bit.

I admit to not reading all 101 pages of this thread (I heard about this from another forum), so forgive me please if this has been answered. But would these readings indicate I should not be doing this? It doesn't seem like it could be a good thing to have numbers this high for several days. Or do you have to get through this point in order for it to get better?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Tina

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post

A little background--female, 125 lbs, went paleo Aug 2011 lost 20 pounds, started an alternate day IF (JUDDD) in Jan 2012 and lost 7 more by April when I reached my current weight. Maintain with lt day IF, 700 cals one day 1600-1700 next, still primal. Had gest diabetes with my last baby 7 years ago, controlled with diet. Not diabetic now, but get some high spikes with grains/sugar, so I stay primal and bg stays stable. Typical carb levels around 120g on my higher calorie day.

I tried the potato diet yesterday (it was my low cal day) and was alarmed at my bg readings. I bought a bag of yukons, not sure of the weight, but the bag was worth 330 calories. Boiled them in a box of ff chicken stock with some spices thrown in (basil, marjoram, thyme and parsley). Had just coffee for breakfast, about 1/3 of the potato soup for lunch, with the rest (cooled and reheated) for supper along with the addition of 2-3 Tbsp salsa. Here are my numbers:

Morning fasting: 73

Pre-lunch 64
    1/2 hr pp 117
    1 hr pp 141
    1.5 hr pp 114
    2 hr pp 101

No problem there, I could live with that.

Supper pp 88
    .5 hr pp 201
    1 hr pp 222
    1.5 hr pp 191
    2 hr pp 165

Those are scary high for me. Even a piece of cake on an empty stomach only gets me around 180 (which I don't do once I realized that). At this point, I ate a hamburger patty and waited a bit. By bedtime, 3.5 hrs after eating, bg was 109. This morning fasting was 75. No weight change, and I have the puffy/achy feeling in my hands that lets me know I'm retaining fluid and inflammation is up a bit.

I admit to not reading all 101 pages of this thread (I heard about this from another forum), so forgive me please if this has been answered. But would these readings indicate I should not be doing this? It doesn't seem like it could be a good thing to have numbers this high for several days. Or do you have to get through this point in order for it to get better?

Tina
    Hi Tina,

That blood glucose profile is characteristic of a metabolism that has been saturated with CHO. Initially, you have excess capacity to absorb CHO, because you were not previously on a CHO heavy diet. The body's capacity to absorb glucose is finite, of course, and by the time that you had your evening meal, you had pretty much reached yours, meaning that rather than being assimilated into tissues, it remained in your plasma.

The only way for your capacity to absorb this large bolus of glucose is for you to increase oxidation, and this is largely dependent upon your activity. If you do not increase oxidation of CHO and administer the same quantity of CHO repeatedly, the pattern you observed will recur.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

otzi Guest
    Supper pp 88
    .5 hr pp 201
    1 hr pp 222
    1.5 hr pp 191
    2 hr pp 165

Tina
    Those numbers are way to high! Strange they were OK at breakfast. You need to go get an A1C test ASAP. Have you been checking your BG after a normal meal with some carbs? Your pre-lunch reading of 64 also indicates regulation issues.

Hope you get this sorted out! good luck.

mykidsteacher is offline Junior Member
    Sorry, what's CHO? So PK, sounds like this isn't a good option for me, huh?

A1C is actually fine (I've been under the care of a naturopath for the past year and a half for adrenal exhaustion issues, and have had all the tests repeatedly). But it is fine because I don't tend to overload on carbs. A regular meal with a sweet potato I do fine with. 1/2 a regular potato, also ok. Grains/sugar are def. no's. I can keep my bg numbers stable with primal eating, so that's what I do. And I'm quite happy doing so.

I was interested in the potato hack because I had read it can help with carb sensitivity/insulin response. I would also like to get rid of the last little pocket of belly fat that refuses to budge (at 47, that might be a losing battle with meno approaching). But it appears, for me, it's not going to be a good thing. So I'll just tuck back into my happy little primal diet and keep on doing what's been working. The 64 before lunch was concerning to me as well. Surprised I actually felt fine with it that low. It was after a prolonged fast (supper the night before at about 7pm, till lunch at noon). So I will make sure I have something for breakfast to prevent that in the future.

This morning fasting was 75, and 2 hours after my usual breakfast of a smoothie with almond milk, sun warrior blend protein powder, blueberries and 1 tbsp coc oil, it was 95. (I'm also allergic to eggs and dairy, so this is my typical breakfast. Can't stomach lunch/supper food in the morning).

Thanks for responding.

otzi Guest
    Sorry, what's CHO? So PK, sounds like this isn't a good option for me, huh?

A1C is actually fine (I've been under the care of a naturopath for the past year and a half for adrenal exhaustion issues, and have had all the tests repeatedly). But it is fine because I don't tend to overload on carbs. A regular meal with a sweet potato I do fine with. 1/2 a regular potato, also ok. Grains/sugar are def. no's. I can keep my bg numbers stable with primal eating, so that's what I do. And I'm quite happy doing so.

I was interested in the potato hack because I had read it can help with carb sensitivity/insulin response. I would also like to get rid of the last little pocket of belly fat that refuses to budge (at 47, that might be a losing battle with meno approaching). But it appears, for me, it's not going to be a good thing. So I'll just tuck back into my happy little primal diet and keep on doing what's been working. The 64 before lunch was concerning to me as well. Surprised I actually felt fine with it that low. It was after a prolonged fast (supper the night before at about 7pm, till lunch at noon). So I will make sure I have something for breakfast to prevent that in the future.

This morning fasting was 75, and 2 hours after my usual breakfast of a smoothie with almond milk, sun warrior blend protein powder, blueberries and 1 tbsp coc oil, it was 95. (I'm also allergic to eggs and dairy, so this is my typical breakfast. Can't stomach lunch/supper food in the morning).

Thanks for responding.
    CHO means carbohydrate.

If your A1C is fine, you are probably good to go. If you have test strips to spare, eat 1 big potato and take a reading every 15 minutes for 3 hours, that will paint a better picture than just snapshots on the hour.

Make sure your meter is calibrated to the number on the test strip bottle, too, that can throw things way off. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe discuss what you are doing with your naturopath.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    by oxidation do you mean through exercise?