Thread: Kombucha or bacon turning my teeth black? page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Kombucha or bacon turning my teeth black?

Shop Now
    I don't know why, but lately ALL my teeth seem to be taking on a black-gray stain. I also looked into doxycycline being fed to my TJ's bacon, but I didn't immediately find any connectons. I just moved into a new home with a well. It has a trace of lead in the water, like .005 if I recall, but it might have been .0005. Maybe my kombucha is freeing up the metals in my water and they are binding to my teeth when I drink the bucha. Anybody have any ideas or other possible contributors? It really seems to be related to the kombucha, because I often notice it right after I drink the stuff, and it mostly rubs off but some seems to be staying. Didn't happen before I moved here.

I guess I could brew my kombucha with water from the artesian spring nearby for awhile and see if that fixes it...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the answer, but I was intrigued by the question as my biggest weak spot, health wise, is dental.

I found this, hope it helps somehow: What is black line stain on teeth? - by Lisa Fillers - Helium

I suppose it's possible that I have high iron. The numbers at the blood bank were never high, but it's been awhile. I'll check my iron and see.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Do you use black or green tea when you make the kombucha? Black tea is a known teeth stainer. Well green tea too, but not nearly as badly as black tea.

I don't know how much you're drinking, but it might be that simple!

It could also be your iron levels as was previously suggested, but, I somehow doubt that. Remember, the simplest explanation is most likely the cause!

I use green tea! But, going with simplicity, I do know it's the actual drinking of the tea that coats my teeth. So iron is probably outed. It's just that I've been making kombucha for a very long time, and ths blackening has only happened after I moved into the new house.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Bess58 is online now Member
    I don't think it's the iron. I have hemochromatosis, and at diagnosis had several times more iron in my blood than a normal person. But I never had any problems with black/gray teeth, just with yellowing ...

iambrittanysanders is offline Junior Member
    Are you smoking? This will be a potent teeth destroyer. it will help if you will contact a hygiene coach.

RDH Coach | Clinical Coaching | Assisting Dental Teams to Achieve Excellence!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I suppose it's possible that I have high iron. The numbers at the blood bank were never high, but it's been awhile. I'll check my iron and see.
    OH MY, Thanks. My iron is rediculus and my teeth have gotten darker.. i have sworn off liver for probably ever now so we wlil see if that helps
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    My dentist noticed right away when I switched from drinking Mt. Dew to Lipton black tea... not b/c the sugar content was different but because my teeth started staining. It took a long time for me to notice it, but now my teeth have this icky yellow staining to them.

As for a black staining... I haven't the foggiest... but if it comes off easily, maybe just brush your teeth between Kombuchas to prevent it from staining permanently until you figure out the true cause.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)